New Medium Duty model.....Bob, Joe?

6 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

You are correct and my BAD! I get my ""stars" mixed up  The TERRASTAR was the small class 4-6 that was a   Durastar (4000 series) big cab sitting on 19.5 rubber-  and the MV I think has new intrument panel from the old Durastar -4000 series.

But my point in my first post on subject still stands- I believe International has the bases covered in class 4-7 The new CV covers 4 to lower end of 6.  The MV covers high end of 6 to 7.   7M3 thinks the JV will crank out a class 7-8 next.  He might be right-but I disagree.  International would be crazy IMO.  they are in a great position right now without getting the Chevrolet dealer network into their class 7 "tent".  

I think International is getting ready for a new class 6-7 truck, as the MV/Durastar/4400, whatever they are calling it this week is getting pretty long in the tooth.  Granted, I realize mediums don't have the refresh cycle of smaller trucks, but it is still pretty old.  When did it come out, early 2000s?  The only reason I can see for International giving GM a version of the new class 6-7 is to get a gasoline engine for the class 6-7s, to further compete with Ford.  

There are a couple of good reasons for International to develop medium duty trucks with GM.  GM can provide gasoline and mid-range diesels at very competitive prices due to scale, not to mention lots of other components, everything from wiring harnesses to sheet metal to interior trim, and infotainment systems.  International has chassis/suspension components and plant space dedicated to medium/heavy truck production.  Between the 2 of them there is significantly lower development costs and two large dealer networks.  Commercial trucks are pretty much a commodity now, it comes down to purchase price and the sales/service network.  I have not seen International's pricing on the CV, but Chevy is even undercutting the Ram 4500 and 5500 with the Silverado 4500 and 5500 (at least before Ram's discounts)  Sure, there will be some competition between International and Chevy commercial dealers, but I think there is going to be business enough for both.

As for a class 7/8 JV, yeah, I have a hunch it's coming.  If it does, I expect International will have a lot of exclusive specialty models the Chevy would not be interested in.  I think Chevy will be going for high volume simple spec. trucks.

Ford has their work cut out for them, but if they keep their eye on commercial product I see no reason they can't be competitive.    

E-series won't be competitive in those markets that often has overall length restriction. They also prefer 4 cylinder diesels in their medium duty trucks.

Ford tried to sell E-series cutaway bus in Taiwan before to compete with Toyota Coaster and Fuso Rosa and it failed miserably. The gasoline V8 is a nonstarter.

54 minutes ago, bzcat said:

E-series won't be competitive in those markets that often has overall length restriction. They also prefer 4 cylinder diesels in their medium duty trucks.

Ford tried to sell E-series cutaway bus in Taiwan before to compete with Toyota Coaster and Fuso Rosa and it failed miserably. The gasoline V8 is a nonstarter.

34 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

Take a look at what Isuzu offers in Asian countries, you will get an idea what they use.  E series is too wide as well. 

Bummer.....I would think it would do well, but I guess not.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:21 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Joe, I don't think I view the GM/Internationals as "Upsized cabs" .  Rather they are Silverado cabs so in my mind, that makes the cab structures comparable with 450/550 and now 600.  Both have "pick up cabs on a class 4,5 and 6 truck.  If Ford is "hitting back", it is with a class 6 truck that has  what?-less frontal area and better forward visibility than an F-650?  And it should be less costly than the GM/Internationals given the "oppositions" dedicated tilting hood assembly.  

Question is, will the F-600 buyer appreciate the price advantage or will he be willing to pay for the perceived better serviceability of the tilt hood.

Yeah Bob, I realize they are basically the same cab, but the truck looks beefier, sits higher, appears to be the size of Ford's mediums in class 6 and 7.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:21 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Sometimes when I try to reply, it shows a previous post.  Anyway, check this out. What a real nice truck!  This is on an F550 and came out before the F600, but I think it would have been a great candidate for the F600!  There's another video of this truck in use at a fire dept.

Skeeter Brush Trucks: Skeeter Step-Side Walk Around - YouTube

4 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Sometimes when I try to reply, it shows a previous post.  Anyway, check this out. What a real nice truck!  This is on an F550 and came out before the F600, but I think it would have been a great candidate for the F600!  There's another video of this truck in use at a fire dept.

Skeeter Brush Trucks: Skeeter Step-Side Walk Around - YouTube

Well Joe, if you assume another 2500 lbs GVW for the 600, and you give 500 pds to weight of heavier axles and rubber  as well as a few more pds for bigger tank (pure guess),  that gives you about 2000/8.2= 240 more gallons of water.  

These 550's are fairly popular around here but I think their biggest value is as a quick response truck for stuff like car fires.  enough foam plus water to put out tire fires.  Not a fireman, just a thought-and learned a long time ago how effective a 20 lb Ansul dry powder could be on a petroleum fire when you knew what you were doing.