New Medium Duty model.....Bob, Joe?

Have y’all seen the news on the new “F600”? There was a blurb on FB this morning. 

Basically it’s an upgraded F550. Will use the 6.2, 7.3 and 6.7 engines. 

Will have a beefy PTO on the new 10 spd HD trans. 

More to come!

Edited by Stray Kat

This could be a coup d’ etat by Ford over it’s competitors as a very cost effective Class 6 option. Especially with the gasoline engine options. I could easily see a million of these on the highways and byways in the near future if the work/dollars make sense. 

What an iconic name to bring back for us old timers!

This is the first aluminum cab Class 6 Ford I can remember. I think Ford could have a huge cost amortization advantage over say the gm/intrntl twins in class 6 due out this year. 

I think this has the potential to be very good for certain buyers and applications. 

5 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

This is the first aluminum cab Class 6 Ford I can remember. I think Ford could have a huge cost amortization advantage over say the gm/intrntl twins in class 6 due out this year. 

I think this has the potential to be very good for certain buyers and applications. 

Agree.  the 7.3 to me is the big thing that will drive sales for this truck

5 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

This could be a coup d’ etat by Ford over it’s competitors as a very cost effective Class 6 option. Especially with the gasoline engine options. I could easily see a million of these on the highways and byways in the near future if the work/dollars make sense. 

What an iconic name to bring back for us old timers!

'

"OLD TIMERS"- I'll show you what "Old" is.  I remember my uncles F-6 with the two speed control on the dash! Typical old school general contractor. Built the body with a ton of steel. Stake pockets full width then another row about a foot in.  Oak floor and side boards.  Hauling light weight demo material?, boards in outside pockets. Lumber -in flatbed mode.  Fill?Mason sand? Loam? Boards  in inboard pockets.  Between all the steel (they liked to weld?) and the oak I think the truck was illegal empty!.   replaced in "68 with a new F-800-and steel 6-8 yd box!

16 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

Did you watch the video above? Said the 6.2 was available in the F600.

Yes, not a video from Ford though. 6.2 has never been offered in anything above 350.

Media from Ford yesterday “New for 2020 Super Duty chassis cab, customers can choose from three engines - the 7.3 liter gas V8, a third generation 6.7 liter Power Stroke or a 6.2 liter gas V8”

I think they took that as all CC will have 6.2 when in actuality it’s probably only 350.

Edited by Steve557

It's a cheap quick response to the new Silverado 6500 and International CV.  Not much more than a F-550 with higher load range tire and a different nameplate. It's GVW will be below the Chevy, but the Ford will be a bit smaller.  Will have the new 7.3L gas and 10 speed transmission (F-550 will too).  Chevy should have a gas option in 2020.  I wonder about the 6.2L being an option.  I think that is a mistake, but if it's true it would cast some doubt on the 7.3L (fuel economy?).

GM and Navistar have Ford a little shook up right now. 

Verrrrry interesting! But it addresses what I said somewhere that International/GM are upsizing the class 4 and 5 cabs, which hopefully will backfire.  So Ford is hitting back with a smaller class 6 that is more maneuverable and less fuel thirsty.  Let's see if it works!

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

It's a cheap quick response to the new Silverado 6500 and International CV.  Not much more than a F-550 with higher load range tire and a different nameplate. It's GVW will be below the Chevy, but the Ford will be a bit smaller.  Will have the new 7.3L gas and 10 speed transmission (F-550 will too).  Chevy should have a gas option in 2020.  I wonder about the 6.2L being an option.  I think that is a mistake, but if it's true it would cast some doubt on the 7.3L (fuel economy?).

I disagree with you a little here 7M3.  I think Ford just fired a shot across Gm/International’s bow. I think this F600 may hit a sweet spot that the others don’t have covered. I’m choosing to think positive friend. 

Per the Ford Rep's at the Work Truck Show in Indianapolis this morning, F-600 to use new 7.3 gas or updated 6.7 diesel. Also 2021 E-series and Medium Duty trucks will be available to order 4th quarter this year and production to start in 2020. They are skipping the 2020 year model year designation.

1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

Verrrrry interesting! But it addresses what I said somewhere that International/GM are upsizing the class 4 and 5 cabs, which hopefully will backfire.  So Ford is hitting back with a smaller class 6 that is more maneuverable and less fuel thirsty.  Let's see if it works!

I work for Navistar (International Truck) so I hope you are wrong:)  Our dealer's are very excited about where we are positioning this truck and definitely have Ford right in their cross hairs. What is interesting is from a long term perspective-we are partly owned by VW and if Ford and them get together in some joint ventures, this deal kind of complicates things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Joe, I don't think I view the GM/Internationals as "Upsized cabs" .  Rather they are Silverado cabs so in my mind, that makes the cab structures comparable with 450/550 and now 600.  Both have "pick up cabs on a class 4,5 and 6 truck.  If Ford is "hitting back", it is with a class 6 truck that has  what?-less frontal area and better forward visibility than an F-650?  And it should be less costly than the GM/Internationals given the "oppositions" dedicated tilting hood assembly.  

Question is, will the F-600 buyer appreciate the price advantage or will he be willing to pay for the perceived better serviceability of the tilt hood.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kyle said:

I work for Navistar (International Truck) so I hope you are wrong:)  Our dealer's are very excited about where we are positioning this truck and definitely have Ford right in their cross hairs. What is interesting is from a long term perspective-we are partly owned by VW and if Ford and them get together in some joint ventures, this deal kind of complicates things.

At this point I don't think you have to worry about Ford and VW getting together on commecial truck ventures-or so they say now.  As I've posted before, I think International will be the big winner as a fleet manager can now get his class 4-8 trucks from one dealer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kyle said:

Keep in mind VW is in the process of spinning their truck unit off.  The new truck entity is named Traton:

https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/brands-and-models/traton.html

It is wholly owned by VW now, but the name change is their first step towards an IPO.

I have seen the GM/NAV truck in person, and it's impressive.     

Edited by 7Mary3
  • Like 1

I saw the new GM Medium two weeks ago in Vegas.  From what I saw, it is a good competitor to the current Ford Medium.  Didn't I hear somewhere that International is getting ready to also replace the MV/Durastar as well?   If so, will GM be getting a version of that as well?

1 hour ago, hwyman3 said:

I saw the new GM Medium two weeks ago in Vegas.  From what I saw, it is a good competitor to the current Ford Medium.  Didn't I hear somewhere that International is getting ready to also replace the MV/Durastar as well?   If so, will GM be getting a version of that as well?

There are rumors that GM and International are working on another JV truck, this time a larger class 6/7.  If true my guess is it would be a DuraStar replacement.  

11 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Without doubt,  Ford s trying to move its F650 gasoline sales onto F600 and if that happens, then I think it's curtains for F650 and F750. Which leads to your post below...

There are rumors that GM and International are working on another JV truck, this time a larger class 6/7.  If true my guess is it would be a DuraStar replacement.  

Maybe Ford sees this coming and is preparing an exist from  F650 and F750

Edited by jpd80

I'm confused.  The MV IS the new class 6 and 7 International is it not??  TheGM JV truck REPLACES the  Durastar which was the large 4400  cab on 19.5 rubber with the V-8 "Power Stroke" that International continued to build after the  Ford "divorce".

I maybe wrong, but as I see it, International has the class 6 and 7 bases covered nicely as is.

2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I'm confused.  The MV IS the new class 6 and 7 International is it not??  TheGM JV truck REPLACES the  Durastar which was the large 4400  cab on 19.5 rubber with the V-8 "Power Stroke" that International continued to build after the  Ford "divorce".

I maybe wrong, but as I see it, International has the class 6 and 7 bases covered nicely as is.

From what I can see, the MV is just the renamed DuraStar/4400 from before.  Pretty much the same medium they have been building for years.

43 minutes ago, hwyman3 said:

From what I can see, the MV is just the renamed DuraStar/4400 from before.  Pretty much the same medium they have been building for years.

You are correct and my BAD! I get my ""stars" mixed up  The TERRASTAR was the small class 4-6 that was a   Durastar (4000 series) big cab sitting on 19.5 rubber-  and the MV I think has new intrument panel from the old Durastar -4000 series.

But my point in my first post on subject still stands- I believe International has the bases covered in class 4-7 The new CV covers 4 to lower end of 6.  The MV covers high end of 6 to 7.   7M3 thinks the JV will crank out a class 7-8 next.  He might be right-but I disagree.  International would be crazy IMO.  they are in a great position right now without getting the Chevrolet dealer network into their class 7 "tent".