Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
Stray Kat

New Medium Duty model.....Bob, Joe?

Recommended Posts

Have y’all seen the news on the new “F600”? There was a blurb on FB this morning. 

Basically it’s an upgraded F550. Will use the 6.2, 7.3 and 6.7 engines. 

Will have a beefy PTO on the new 10 spd HD trans. 

More to come!

Edited by Stray Kat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be a coup d’ etat by Ford over it’s competitors as a very cost effective Class 6 option. Especially with the gasoline engine options. I could easily see a million of these on the highways and byways in the near future if the work/dollars make sense. 

What an iconic name to bring back for us old timers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first aluminum cab Class 6 Ford I can remember. I think Ford could have a huge cost amortization advantage over say the gm/intrntl twins in class 6 due out this year. 

I think this has the potential to be very good for certain buyers and applications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

This is the first aluminum cab Class 6 Ford I can remember. I think Ford could have a huge cost amortization advantage over say the gm/intrntl twins in class 6 due out this year. 

I think this has the potential to be very good for certain buyers and applications. 

Agree.  the 7.3 to me is the big thing that will drive sales for this truck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

This could be a coup d’ etat by Ford over it’s competitors as a very cost effective Class 6 option. Especially with the gasoline engine options. I could easily see a million of these on the highways and byways in the near future if the work/dollars make sense. 

What an iconic name to bring back for us old timers!

'

"OLD TIMERS"- I'll show you what "Old" is.  I remember my uncles F-6 with the two speed control on the dash! Typical old school general contractor. Built the body with a ton of steel. Stake pockets full width then another row about a foot in.  Oak floor and side boards.  Hauling light weight demo material?, boards in outside pockets. Lumber -in flatbed mode.  Fill?Mason sand? Loam? Boards  in inboard pockets.  Between all the steel (they liked to weld😀) and the oak I think the truck was illegal empty!.   replaced in "68 with a new F-800-and steel 6-8 yd box!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

Did you watch the video above? Said the 6.2 was available in the F600.

Yes, not a video from Ford though. 6.2 has never been offered in anything above 350.

Media from Ford yesterday “New for 2020 Super Duty chassis cab, customers can choose from three engines - the 7.3 liter gas V8, a third generation 6.7 liter Power Stroke or a 6.2 liter gas V8”

I think they took that as all CC will have 6.2 when in actuality it’s probably only 350.

Edited by Steve557

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a cheap quick response to the new Silverado 6500 and International CV.  Not much more than a F-550 with higher load range tire and a different nameplate. It's GVW will be below the Chevy, but the Ford will be a bit smaller.  Will have the new 7.3L gas and 10 speed transmission (F-550 will too).  Chevy should have a gas option in 2020.  I wonder about the 6.2L being an option.  I think that is a mistake, but if it's true it would cast some doubt on the 7.3L (fuel economy?).

GM and Navistar have Ford a little shook up right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Verrrrry interesting! But it addresses what I said somewhere that International/GM are upsizing the class 4 and 5 cabs, which hopefully will backfire.  So Ford is hitting back with a smaller class 6 that is more maneuverable and less fuel thirsty.  Let's see if it works!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

It's a cheap quick response to the new Silverado 6500 and International CV.  Not much more than a F-550 with higher load range tire and a different nameplate. It's GVW will be below the Chevy, but the Ford will be a bit smaller.  Will have the new 7.3L gas and 10 speed transmission (F-550 will too).  Chevy should have a gas option in 2020.  I wonder about the 6.2L being an option.  I think that is a mistake, but if it's true it would cast some doubt on the 7.3L (fuel economy?).

GM and Navistar have Ford a little shook up right now. 

I disagree with you a little here 7M3.  I think Ford just fired a shot across Gm/International’s bow. I think this F600 may hit a sweet spot that the others don’t have covered. I’m choosing to think positive friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per the Ford Rep's at the Work Truck Show in Indianapolis this morning, F-600 to use new 7.3 gas or updated 6.7 diesel. Also 2021 E-series and Medium Duty trucks will be available to order 4th quarter this year and production to start in 2020. They are skipping the 2020 year model year designation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

Verrrrry interesting! But it addresses what I said somewhere that International/GM are upsizing the class 4 and 5 cabs, which hopefully will backfire.  So Ford is hitting back with a smaller class 6 that is more maneuverable and less fuel thirsty.  Let's see if it works!

 

I work for Navistar (International Truck) so I hope you are wrong:)  Our dealer's are very excited about where we are positioning this truck and definitely have Ford right in their cross hairs. What is interesting is from a long term perspective-we are partly owned by VW and if Ford and them get together in some joint ventures, this deal kind of complicates things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Verrrrry interesting! But it addresses what I said somewhere that International/GM are upsizing the class 4 and 5 cabs, which hopefully will backfire.  So Ford is hitting back with a smaller class 6 that is more maneuverable and less fuel thirsty.  Let's see if it works!

Joe, I don't think I view the GM/Internationals as "Upsized cabs" .  Rather they are Silverado cabs so in my mind, that makes the cab structures comparable with 450/550 and now 600.  Both have "pick up cabs on a class 4,5 and 6 truck.  If Ford is "hitting back", it is with a class 6 truck that has  what?-less frontal area and better forward visibility than an F-650?  And it should be less costly than the GM/Internationals given the "oppositions" dedicated tilting hood assembly.  

Question is, will the F-600 buyer appreciate the price advantage or will he be willing to pay for the perceived better serviceability of the tilt hood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kyle said:

 

I work for Navistar (International Truck) so I hope you are wrong:)  Our dealer's are very excited about where we are positioning this truck and definitely have Ford right in their cross hairs. What is interesting is from a long term perspective-we are partly owned by VW and if Ford and them get together in some joint ventures, this deal kind of complicates things.

At this point I don't think you have to worry about Ford and VW getting together on commecial truck ventures-or so they say now.  As I've posted before, I think International will be the big winner as a fleet manager can now get his class 4-8 trucks from one dealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kyle said:

 

I work for Navistar (International Truck) so I hope you are wrong:)  Our dealer's are very excited about where we are positioning this truck and definitely have Ford right in their cross hairs. What is interesting is from a long term perspective-we are partly owned by VW and if Ford and them get together in some joint ventures, this deal kind of complicates things.

Keep in mind VW is in the process of spinning their truck unit off.  The new truck entity is named Traton:

https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/brands-and-models/traton.html

It is wholly owned by VW now, but the name change is their first step towards an IPO.

I have seen the GM/NAV truck in person, and it's impressive.     

 

Edited by 7Mary3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the new GM Medium two weeks ago in Vegas.  From what I saw, it is a good competitor to the current Ford Medium.  Didn't I hear somewhere that International is getting ready to also replace the MV/Durastar as well?   If so, will GM be getting a version of that as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hwyman3 said:

I saw the new GM Medium two weeks ago in Vegas.  From what I saw, it is a good competitor to the current Ford Medium.  Didn't I hear somewhere that International is getting ready to also replace the MV/Durastar as well?   If so, will GM be getting a version of that as well?

There are rumors that GM and International are working on another JV truck, this time a larger class 6/7.  If true my guess is it would be a DuraStar replacement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

It's a cheap quick response to the new Silverado 6500 and International CV.  Not much more than a F-550 with higher load range tire and a different nameplate. It's GVW will be below the Chevy, but the Ford will be a bit smaller.  Will have the new 7.3L gas and 10 speed transmission (F-550 will too).  Chevy should have a gas option in 2020.  I wonder about the 6.2L being an option.  I think that is a mistake, but if it's true it would cast some doubt on the 7.3L (fuel economy?).

GM and Navistar have Ford a little shook up right now. 

Without doubt,  Ford s trying to move its F650 gasoline sales onto F600 and if that happens, then I think it's curtains for F650 and F750. Which leads to your post below...

Quote

There are rumors that GM and International are working on another JV truck, this time a larger class 6/7.  If true my guess is it would be a DuraStar replacement.  

Maybe Ford sees this coming and is preparing an exist from  F650 and F750

Edited by jpd80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm confused.  The MV IS the new class 6 and 7 International is it not??  TheGM JV truck REPLACES the  Durastar which was the large 4400  cab on 19.5 rubber with the V-8 "Power Stroke" that International continued to build after the  Ford "divorce".

I maybe wrong, but as I see it, International has the class 6 and 7 bases covered nicely as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I'm confused.  The MV IS the new class 6 and 7 International is it not??  TheGM JV truck REPLACES the  Durastar which was the large 4400  cab on 19.5 rubber with the V-8 "Power Stroke" that International continued to build after the  Ford "divorce".

I maybe wrong, but as I see it, International has the class 6 and 7 bases covered nicely as is.

From what I can see, the MV is just the renamed DuraStar/4400 from before.  Pretty much the same medium they have been building for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, hwyman3 said:

From what I can see, the MV is just the renamed DuraStar/4400 from before.  Pretty much the same medium they have been building for years.

You are correct and my BAD! I get my ""stars" mixed up  The TERRASTAR was the small class 4-6 that was a   Durastar (4000 series) big cab sitting on 19.5 rubber-  and the MV I think has new intrument panel from the old Durastar -4000 series.

But my point in my first post on subject still stands- I believe International has the bases covered in class 4-7 The new CV covers 4 to lower end of 6.  The MV covers high end of 6 to 7.   7M3 thinks the JV will crank out a class 7-8 next.  He might be right-but I disagree.  International would be crazy IMO.  they are in a great position right now without getting the Chevrolet dealer network into their class 7 "tent".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×