Ford February 2019 Sales Numbers

LEKM0yp.jpg

I was able to compile some numbers from that carsalesbase site someone mentioned in the other thread, and compared them to last year's numbers for February.

I was unable to track down PI sedan, PIU and Heavy truck numbers.  PIS and PIU numbers may be included in Taurus and Explorer numbers, but I can't be sure.  I wasn't sure whether to include last year's PIS/PIU/Heavy figures in the 2018 column, which could affect overall/YTD comparison figures, as I don't know if numbers were included in Explorer/Taurus (I did list them in the blank column in the middle).  If anyone has an opinion on what I should do (whether to include them or not), let me know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ugh, I can't edit the post.  Here's the chart with YTD figures too (click to enlarge):

LiTJfYt.jpg

Just for fun, MKT has 754 sales through February this year.  Last year, they sold 783 through April.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ANTAUS said:

Thank you for putting this together, I know it's not easy...

No problem.  I actually kind of enjoy doing it.

---

I have numbers for a GM chart, but that's going to require more research on previous years numbers.....may wind up just waiting on those until next month as I compile them for 2018.  (I guess we'll also have Q1 numbers from the companies too).

---

Nice to see Lincoln bumping up.  Though they're still below 2017 numbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Interesting to see that Edge Sales are down or flat vs last year. Esp with the refresh. 

YTD is flat but I suspect it is mostly because Ford is letting the refreshed model find its own pace rather than goosing it with heavy incentives. I think sales may pickup later in the year when the new Explorer comes out and moves up in MSRP and transaction prices.

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

No problem.  I actually kind of enjoy doing it.

---

I have numbers for a GM chart, but that's going to require more research on previous years numbers.....may wind up just waiting on those until next month as I compile them for 2018.  (I guess we'll also have Q1 numbers from the companies too).

---

Nice to see Lincoln bumping up.  Though they're still below 2017 numbers.

It's fun searching around the net for numbers,they're hidden all over the place and I have a feeling that once you start your search things will fall in place, I can see how much work you put in that table, everyone here appreciates all your efforts, thank you. :)

Edited by jpd80

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

LEKM0yp.jpg

I was able to compile some numbers from that carsalesbase site someone mentioned in the other thread, and compared them to last year's numbers for February.

I was unable to track down PI sedan, PIU and Heavy truck numbers.  PIS and PIU numbers may be included in Taurus and Explorer numbers, but I can't be sure.  I wasn't sure whether to include last year's PIS/PIU/Heavy figures in the 2018 column, which could affect overall/YTD comparison figures, as I don't know if numbers were included in Explorer/Taurus (I did list them in the blank column in the middle).  If anyone has an opinion on what I should do (whether to include them or not), let me know.

Good job! Thanks for post it

Thanks, rmc523!  Agree on it being nice to see Lincoln sustaining its 3-month long sales growth (iirc). Yes, still behind 2017, but that will likely change when the Aviator arrives. And the new Explorer should also give Ford a much-needed goose in the keister.

And as ZamatWork noted, wow look at those Continential numbers. Down 60%! That's two big down months in a row. And it's not just because it's a sedan, as the MKZ managed to eek out a tiny increase. (Though the Z is at a more accessible price point.) With that drop, the Continental is now the slowest selling Lincoln, dropping below even the soon-to-be-phased-out MKT (which itself had a huge sales % growth of over 300%, as I calculate it at least).

Like Silvrsvt, I'm trying to figure out as well why the refreshed Edge is so ho-hum in sales. It isn't seeing the sustained boost of its Lincoln cousin, the Nautilus. Maybe the latter's rename and more extensive front end refresh is the reason, along with the more limited access to the 2.7 engine in the Edge. It is, of course, easier to get big % sales increases when one is dealing with the (much) lower base sales of Lincoln. But dunno...

41 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Like Silvrsvt, I'm trying to figure out as well why the refreshed Edge is so ho-hum in sales. It isn't seeing the sustained boost of its Lincoln cousin, the Nautilus. Maybe the latter'srename and more extensive front end refresh is the reason, along with the more limited access to the 2.7 engine in the Edge. It is, of course, easier to get big % sales increases when one is dealing with the (much) lower base sales of Lincoln. But dunno...

I've heard a lot of complaints about the 2.7L engine not being available on the Titanium.  Not everybody likes the ST.  But maybe that is driving more Nautilus sales which is probably what Ford wants anyway.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, akirby said:

I've heard a lot of complaints about the 2.7L engine not being available on the Titanium.  Not everybody likes the ST.  But maybe that is driving more Nautilus sales which is probably what Ford wants anyway.

That explains wy they gave the 2020 Explorer such a lousy front end design...Aviator should sell like hot cakes!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

Thanks, rmc523!  Agree on it being nice to see Lincoln sustaining its 3-month long sales growth (iirc). Yes, still behind 2017, but that will likely change when the Aviator arrives. And the new Explorer should also give Ford a much-needed goose in the keister.

And as ZamatWork noted, wow look at those Continential numbers. Down 60%! That's two big down months in a row. And it's not just because it's a sedan, as the MKZ managed to eek out a tiny increase. (Though the Z is at a more accessible price point.) With that drop, the Continental is now the slowest selling Lincoln, dropping below even the soon-to-be-phased-out MKT (which itself had a huge sales % growth of over 300%, as I calculate it at least).

Like Silvrsvt, I'm trying to figure out as well why the refreshed Edge is so ho-hum in sales. It isn't seeing the sustained boost of its Lincoln cousin, the Nautilus. Maybe the latter's rename and more extensive front end refresh is the reason, along with the more limited access to the 2.7 engine in the Edge. It is, of course, easier to get big % sales increases when one is dealing with the (much) lower base sales of Lincoln. But dunno...

The good thing, though, is that even though 2019 Lincoln numbers are still below 2017 numbers, 2017's figures included the company program and heavier fleet sales, whereas '18 and '19 don't, which means it's true growth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I bet this changes in the next 1-2 model years. If you remember for the Explorer, the Sport only got the 3.5. Then eventually the Platinum got the 3.5 too. I want to believe there is some rationale behind this practice but am unsure. The 2.0 liter performance is good but getting the 2.7 in the Titanium would be a great option.

TFL did a quick comparo between the Edge, Murano, and Passport. Ford looked a little bland in the styling department, inside and out compared to the other two. The interior looks to be straight from 2010 so that's kind of a negative. It's a very competitive segment that's for sure.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I bet this changes in the next 1-2 model years. If you remember for the Explorer, the Sport only got the 3.5. Then eventually the Platinum got the 3.5 too. I want to believe there is some rationale behind this practice but am unsure. The 2.0 liter performance is good but getting the 2.7 in the Titanium would be a great option.

TFL did a quick comparo between the Edge, Murano, and Passport. Ford looked a little bland in the styling department, inside and out compared to the other two. The interior looks to be straight from 2010 so that's kind of a negative. It's a very competitive segment that's for sure.  

I don't think it will change until the new gen/new platform.   Edge and Nautilus are in dead man walking cost cutting mode right now.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I don't think it will change until the new gen/new platform.   Edge and Nautilus are in dead man walking cost cutting mode right now.

Yeah, I get the why. I would much rather have upgraded mechanical bits (trans and AWD) then cosmetics. I had a 2012 Edge and the 2019 interior is virtually the same minus MFT and gear shift.

52 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I had a 2012 Edge and the 2019 interior is virtually the same minus MFT and gear shift.

And that really hurts return business, especially returning leases.   A lot of people don't want to just keep getting the same interior over and over.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Edge is, Nautilus not yet. But yeah, probably no significant changes until redesign in a couple of years.

43 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Edge is, Nautilus not yet. But yeah, probably no significant changes until redesign in a couple of years.

Nautilus got the same engines as Edge.  They could have upgraded to the 2.3L and 3.0L but they didn’t, so that’s where I was coming from on Nautilus.  And they didn’t touch the interior at all.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Nautilus got the same engines as Edge.  They could have upgraded to the 2.3L and 3.0L but they didn’t, so that’s where I was coming from on Nautilus.  And they didn’t touch the interior at all.

True, the refresh could have been more substantial. I agree that the Nautilus should have those two engines to better differentiate it from the Edge and to better justify the price difference (I hope after redesign); still, glad to have that nice new 8-speed. But that's a little different from saying it is (yet) in cost cutting mode. The Edge, though, has some decontenting going on, losing engine options and, I think, some other things like adaptive steering. The Nautilus might still see some of that before the redesign, but not quite yet.

We know CD4 is a development deadend for Ford so from that standpoint, it is entering the phase where Ford will not invest any more money into the vehicles.

We've speculated elsewhere how Ford will replace Edge and my money is still on that Ford will replace it with two different vehicles... a C2 7 seat CUV (maxi Escape) and a CD6 5 seat (mini Explorer). I don't know which one will inherit the Edge name but the other one could go with Mondeo or Fusion.