New or slightly used Expedition?

RIcky Ranger

My sister is replacing her 20 year old Expedition. She is sad because it has been the best vehicle she has ever owned. She is looking at getting another 4X4  Expedition. Any recommendations, thoughts, or opinions about getting a a new one verses a slightly used one is greatly appreciated. Yes, cost is a major consideration. Thanks! 

Ill try my best to compile a good comparison.  I traded my 09 nav for an 18 expy.  I have driven post face lift 3rd gens in most configs as well.

For reliability purposes, 12 to 14s are the way to go because they still use the 5.4 v8 and have most every mechanical bug ironed out.  15+ gained new electronics and the 3.5l v6 which is a great engine.  The first gen of the v6 is reliable enough, but still had kinks. They also feel about the same in regards to interior unless you get the platinum which gained better seats, leather trimmed interior.  Also, ccd is a rele nice option and makes it one of the smoother riding cars.  

4th gen to me is a superior product.  Its way more roomy, has a lot of family friendly features, and wholly comfy.  The 3.5l is the 2nd gen so too early for reliability.  Also. 1st run 18s were very problematic quality wise including my own.

2 hours ago, Dlcorbett said:

For reliability purposes, 12 to 14s are the way to go because they still use the 5.4 v8 and have most every mechanical bug ironed out.  15+ gained new electronics and the 3.5l v6 which is a great engine.  The first gen of the v6 is reliable enough, but still had kinks. They also feel about the same in regards to interior unless you get the platinum which gained better seats, leather trimmed interior.

The 5.4L still has phaser issues as well as the high mileage issues with the entire cam drive system.

2 hours ago, Dlcorbett said:

4th gen to me is a superior product.  Its way more roomy, has a lot of family friendly features, and wholly comfy.  The 3.5l is the 2nd gen so too early for reliability.  Also. 1st run 18s were very problematic quality wise including my own.

My daughter has a '12 Expedition EL.  She has had a couple of what I consider "odd" component failure including blown rear shock, transmission speed sensor/lead frame failure and belt tensioner, on a vehicle with only 80k.  None of these were overly expensive repairs (I am still ticked off because the transmission speed sensor/lead frame failure is now a recall, but only on F150), but it is only 7 years old.  We live in the "rust belt", so I really want her next Expedition to have an aluminum body (despite the fact that she has the classic aluminum rear hack paint peeling problem).

Edited by theoldwizard

On 3/5/2019 at 8:22 PM, RIcky Ranger said:

She is open minded as to which gen. I rented a 4th gen for a road trip last September and really liked it a lot. 

Well I am going to buck the trend here and say it is a no brainer - 4th generation.  You said she kept her last Expedition for 20 years.  The 3rd generation came out in 2007 - over 10 years ago. Assuming she is going to keep this "new" one again for 20 years or so she should get the latest generation which will have dramatic improvements.  If she can find a used one great although even new when amortized over 20 years will not be bad.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
32 minutes ago, Display Name said:

Compared to my 2006, the 2018 seems leaps and bounds better. The 4th gens (2018+) are expensive though, even in the used market right now.  

You bring up a good point, the 2015-2017's are darn near reasonably priced in the resale market. Not sure quite why, though,,,,

HRG

16 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

You bring up a good point, the 2015-2017's are darn near reasonably priced in the resale market. Not sure quite why, though,,,,

HRG

It's probably because the new gen has been out now for nearly two years. I've been looking at purchasing a used  "something" for the last three years. First, I was considering a 2016 Explorer Sport with 301a and they were going for high $30's to low $40's. Now you can get a 2018 Explorer Sport (minus 301a but has cooled seats) for low to mid $30's.