Report: Non-Electric Mustang-Based Performance Crossovers Coming

Filling this under slow news day....

https://www.motor1.com/news/307715/ford-mustang-non-electric-crossovers/

Seems like lots of conflation of information here:

BLUFF-
Model/Mach E-C Class BEV

CD6 performance crossovers- Explorer ST and Aviator GT

No Mustang based Crossovers yet-Ford hasn't even given out real details on the Explorer/Aviator platform yet. 

37 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I still think Mach 1 is an appropriate name for a hybridized or electric Mustang.

I would be fine with that, as long as it is the king of the Mustangs  (Shelby's not withstanding since lot of Mustang fans consider those to be their own thing) and only available for a limited time like previous versions. 

I'd welcome a hybrid Mach 1 Mustang..........as long as it's heart is a V8, backed up by electric power.....then sprinkle it with Mach 1 design cues.

A totally unrelated SUV that just happens to have Mustang styling cues (whether an electric or hybrid).....no thank you. Aviator is proof that you can design a desirable SUV without cribbing from your Mustang family jewels!

A Mustang sub-brand? Is a logical step that Ford must have done time ago. A Mustang sub-brand, with the current coupe and convertible, plus a 4-doors coupe, a crossover coupe and a traditional crossover is a smart decision.

.Everybody complain about the Porsche SUV when they decide to launch the Cayenne. Now, the Cayenne and the Macan are the core of the Porsche brand, with more than the 70% of the sales.  A Mustang sub-brand will be a huge succes.

• Like 3

Please, Ford is not making Mustang a sub-brand.

This is Motor 1 relaying the theories of Motor Trend. IMO. they have built a house of cars based on false assumptions and misunderstood wording from Ford. Te performance crossovers are to be "Mustang Inspired"i, more in the line of sleek bodies that remind us of Mustang.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

A Mustang sub-brand? Is a logical step that Ford must have done time ago. A Mustang sub-brand, with the current coupe and convertible, plus a 4-doors coupe, a crossover coupe and a traditional crossover is a smart decision.

.Everybody complain about the Porsche SUV when they decide to launch the Cayenne. Now, the Cayenne and the Macan are the core of the Porsche brand, with more than the 70% of the sales.  A Mustang sub-brand will be a huge succes.

I don't understand your analogy.

A more appropriate analogy would've been if Porsche had made a "911 family" - labeling the Cayenne the 911SUV1, the Panamera 911sedan, the Macan 911SUV2.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2019 at 3:18 AM, falconlover 1 said:

I don't understand the logic of this thought process.  Why would Ford dilute what the name Mustang stands for when the could have "styling cues" from mustang the Mach E and get the same result.  It is even shown with the Mustang running horse on it, although if they would produce it that way or not remains to be seen.  I would prefer another horse themed like Bronco with its bucking horse.  As for the other stuff, 4 door coupe I doubt we see at all, cross over coupe: the Mach E and possibly a Fusion replacement, traditional crossover we already have the Edge and Escape.

When I see the comments, you do not want a secondary brand of Mustang. You are very conservative. Do not worry. The management of Ford is also too conservative. That is why the Company is shrinking more and more each year, abandoning some markets and segments. Unlike VW, which is gaining market share and new segments with new products (really new), new brands and new ideas.

Do not worry. A sub-brand Mustang is something that will not happen. It's too good for it to happen at Ford

Edited by falconlover 1

Exactly, there is no benefit to creating a Mustang sub-brand that can't be achieved by incorporating Mustang styling cues into other vehicles and a lot to be lost for Mustang if it was created.  Ford can make more new and exciting vehicles without having to dilute the Mustang name.  There is just no reason or benefit to it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

When I see the comments, you do not want a secondary brand of Mustang. You are very conservative. Do not worry. The management of Ford is also too conservative. That is why the Company is shrinking more and more each year, abandoning some markets and segments. Unlike VW, which is gaining market share and new segments with new products (really new), new brands and new ideas.

Do not worry. A sub-brand Mustang is something that will not happen. It's too good for it to happen at Ford

Except it's not a good idea.

• Like 1

What's the automatic thinking about a 4-door Mustang-based/theme car would be called "Mustang"?. Torino, Taurus, Fairlane other names can be used for this car which is probably the plan. IMO Ford will need 2 sedan/hatch from this point forward, a Foucs (sedan/hatch) and a CD6 "Taurus" (sedan/hatch). 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 4:51 PM, Fgts said:

What's the automatic thinking about a 4-door Mustang-based/theme car would be called "Mustang"?. Torino, Taurus, Fairlane other names can be used for this car which is probably the plan. IMO Ford will need 2 sedan/hatch from this point forward, a Foucs (sedan/hatch) and a CD6 "Taurus" (sedan/hatch). 

The fact the Ford keeps showing is images of a vehicle with a pony badge..........and that's clearly not a Mustang.

ford-mustang-hybrid-teaser-1-edit-720x72[/img]

dims?resize=2000%252C2000%252Cshrink%26i[/img]

2 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

The fact the Ford keeps showing is images of a vehicle with a pony badge..........and that's clearly not a Mustang.

ford-mustang-hybrid-teaser-1-edit-720x72[/img]

But its also a really bad photo shop too

2018-mustang-gt-front-end.jpg

There is no way the Mach E is going to look identical to the Mustang front end

The Mustang sub-brand is a reality. You, guys, need to accept it.

The models of Mustang sub-brand will be, by 2021:  Mustang coupe, Mustang convertible, Mustang hybrid and Mustang Mach E (performance electric crossover)

I would prefer the Mach E or whatever it will be called not be called Mustang.  They could be using the pony badge to get the connection in people's minds but not use it on the actual car.  We shall see.  If it is called Mustang I will not like it but won't pretend it would stop me from buying another Mustang as my next car.