Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, akirby said:

We must be talking past each other.  As far as I know:

All of the longitudinal cyclone V6s have the external water pump.

All of the transverse engines have the internal water pump because the external water pump wouldn’t fit transverse applications.

Are you saying something different?

 

Yes.  I believe that "early" 3.7L and 3.5L EcoBoost engines, used in the F150, had internal water pumps.  They may have gone away from this design by the time it was fitted in the Mustang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

Yes.  I believe that "early" 3.7L and 3.5L EcoBoost engines, used in the F150, had internal water pumps.  They may have gone away from this design by the time it was fitted in the Mustang.

I found a GMI topic you posted back in 2009 that said the early 3.5L Ecoboosts had this problem so I think you’re right about that, but I don’t think that was the case with the 3.7L at least not in the Mustang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, akirby said:

I found a GMI topic you posted back in 2009 that said the early 3.5L Ecoboosts had this problem so I think you’re right about that, but I don’t think that was the case with the 3.7L at least not in the Mustang.

The 3.7L was only built off of the original 3.5L block with the water pump in the valley.

The whole water pump issues really got blown out of proportion because of uneducated (?) owners.  They would get a warning that the coolant was low or the engine was over heating.  They would refill the cooling system but NEVER properly investigate WHERE THE COOLANT WAS GOING !  I wasn't going on the ground or through the combustion chamber.  It was going into oil pan.  They might find out about it when they went to change the oil, but thousands of miles of coolant contaminated oil is going to mean an early death to bearings and possibly even rings.

Of course, the other bad thing was the repair cost for the water pump.  Even if caught early, the cost could reach around $1000 because the entire front of the engine had to be removed to replace the water pump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It must have been changed before it went into the mustang but yes, people usually wait until it overheats and has been leaking for along time.   This is still a problem today on Edge and MKX and I suspect one reason they're ditching the transverse 3.5L and 3.7L.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 9:28 AM, theoldwizard said:

Yes.  I believe that "early" 3.7L and 3.5L EcoBoost engines, used in the F150, had internal water pumps.  They may have gone away from this design by the time it was fitted in the Mustang.

2011 Was the first year for the 3.7/3.5 GTDI in F-series AND 2011 was the first year for 3.7 in Mustang. They had external pumps and idlers where the pump used to be. So a 2009 article had to be transverse engine. 

Edited by YT90SC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, YT90SC said:

2011 Was the first year for the 3.7/3.5 GTDI in F-series AND 2011 was the first year for 3.7 in Mustang. They had external pumps and idlers where the pump used to be. So a 2009 article had to be transverse engine. 

Thank you YT90SC.  You have proved I WAS WRONG !

Water pump for 2011 Taurus 3.5L.  This is back side (internal to the engine) of the pump.

Capture1.JPG.df4bac60dfabf89b5f6ab7f30a50cad0.JPG

 

Water pump for 2011 F150 3.7L.  This is front side (external to the engine) of the pump

Capture2.JPG.f7c65b5c7d8d482962113243636be0f8.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×