2020 Transit info

17 hours ago, akirby said:

I wonder if they're switching back to 3.5L for F150 also.  Doesn't seem to make sense to have a 3.3 and a 3.5.  Maybe the 3.3 just wasn't quite powerful enough.

18 hours ago, bzcat said:

The base engine is indeed a new 3.5 V6

17 hours ago, akirby said:

I wonder if they're switching back to 3.5L for F150 also.  Doesn't seem to make sense to have a 3.3 and a 3.5. .

I believe there were/are TWO version of the 3.5L.  The older one was related to the 3.7L and "featured" a water pump that was buried in the valley (which had a bad habit of leaky coolant into the oil pan)  The newer 3.5L is related to the 3.3L

The "nano" engine is 2.7L/3.0L.

1 hour ago, theoldwizard said:

I believe there were/are TWO version of the 3.5L.  The older one was related to the 3.7L and "featured" a water pump that was buried in the valley (which had a bad habit of leaky coolant into the oil pan)  The newer 3.5L is related to the 3.3L

The "nano" engine is 2.7L/3.0L.

The internal water pump was only on the transverse 3.5s and only because there wasn’t room for it otherwise.   On the longitudinal 3.5 and 3.7 it was external.  

The 3.3L is an updated design but that had nothing to do with the water pump but it did add Direct Injection.   I assume the new 3.5L is indeed a larger 3.3L.   Did they say whether it will have dual injection?

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The 3.3L is an updated design but that had nothing to do with the water pump but it did add Direct Injection.   I assume the new 3.5L is indeed a larger 3.3L.   Did they say whether it will have dual injection?

Additionally, a 3.5-liter PFDi V6 is the new standard-issue gasoline engine, replacing the outgoing 3.7-liter mill. The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 remains an option for those seeking a bit more power, and Ford’s new 10-speed automatic is the new gearbox for all engine choices. Those seeking diesel power and all-wheel-drive will be disappointed, however. If you want to power all four wheels, you’ll need to stick with a gasoline engine.

PFDI-port fuel and direct injection

https://www.motor1.com/news/307927/2020-ford-transit-new-tech/

On 3/6/2019 at 9:19 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

Anyone know if this is removable?  Seems like it could really restrict knee/leg room in that area.

HRG

E4CC28ED-5100-4D7B-989E-BEC08E65D44E.thumb.jpeg.207c2e34dd56e8488f2e616348152e0c.jpeg

I've rented a couple of Transits lately including one that I put over 500 miles on.  I didn't use this cubby nor was it in my way, and I'm pretty big guy.

On 3/5/2019 at 6:13 PM, blazerdude20 said:

Man even the E-series got an updated interior today. Guess the old girl will be around for a while. 

New steering wheel, gauges, and radio. 

C450F956-DCAE-4224-8B45-541F7F165EC9.jpeg

I see controls for a rear AC, which is weird for a cutaway.  I also see buttons that indicates adaptive cruise control.  That would be a nice option for a Class C motorhome.

3 hours ago, NLPRacing said:

I see controls for a rear AC, which is weird for a cutaway.  I also see buttons that indicates adaptive cruise control.  That would be a nice option for a Class C motorhome.

Rear AC button maybe just pre-wiring/dummy switch for shuttle bus/ambulance use? They typically have separate rear AC system supplied by the coach builder but having the switch there with pre-wiring harness in place sure makes it much easier on everyone.

16 hours ago, spudz64 said:

Ahhh now I see it’s a fleet only option! Good catch!

Yea remember that PIU has 3.3 non-hybrid as well so that means Ford is building them anyway so makes sense to offer it for Explorer fleet order. Obviously for retail sales, Ford prefers you buy 2.3 EB or 3.3 hybrid... both are better for CAFE purpose.

• Like 1

I just want to give some props to the transit wagon. For our family of 8, I currently have a transit wagon, short wb wagon 10 passenger with quigley 4x4. 3.5 EB. It replaced our 2010 e350 quigley 5.4l 12 passenger.  I will first say that the quigley conversion is much better on the transit. I drove the van approx 2000 miles before the 4x4 conversion was done. It drives and handles nearly the same as stock. I imagine the Ford factory awd will be much more refined and well......not an afterthought.  The 3.5 EB is crazy in a transit! It does a qtr mile almost exact time as my 94 mustang gt did. Fuel mileage is great and it handles/drives more like a car or crossover. I welcome the developement of the transit and cant imagine how great the 10 speed addition along with factory awd will be. We had an expedition and looked at full size suv's but went the van route. I talk to a lot of suburban/expedition families who find interest in our Transit and I highly recommend it. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2019 at 11:35 AM, silvrsvt said:

The 3.3L V6 is based off the Duratech 3.5/3.7L block-See here: They share the same stroke also. 

The point is was trying to make earlier is that there are TWO versions of the 3.5L.  The early on was a sister of the 3.7L (with water pump in the valley).  The later 3.5L is a sister to the 3.3L.  I believe those examples are the later engines.

4 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

The point is was trying to make earlier is that there are TWO versions of the 3.5L.  The early on was a sister of the 3.7L (with water pump in the valley).  The later 3.5L is a sister to the 3.3L.  I believe those examples are the later engines.

I thought the version with the water pump in the valley was only used in fwd vehicles.  Am I wrong about that?

Edited by CurtisH

FWD were the only versions that got timing chain driven pumps. ALL RWD are belt driven externally. They are actually *almost* completely identical. The RWD version uses an idler in place of the actual pump and the coolant is routed through the front cover to the external pump. 

To answer the PF/DI question... emissions. Port does better under certain conditions than Direct and vise-versa. A combination of both for still other operating parameters. It has ZERO to do with keeping valves clean. IT's just a nice byproduct. 

As for the "ancient" switchgear, in those Econoswine pics, that is 110% driven by the upfitter demands. They don't want it to change. Since it is ONLY for upfitter type sales now, they run the show. Plus fleets can stock one HVAC system control instead of several. Sometimes simple is best.

I am surprised by the single DIN radio. 

20 hours ago, YT90SC said:

Same here. When was the last time Ford used any kind of DIN radio slot? I think the Super Duties had them up to a generation or two back, but almost everything else hasn't had any kind of slot at all in a long time (if ever). 

On 3/7/2019 at 10:52 AM, NLPRacing said:

I've rented a couple of Transits lately including one that I put over 500 miles on.  I didn't use this cubby nor was it in my way, and I'm pretty big guy.

I spent a decent amount of time in a Transit  last year, including some time in the driver's seat. I'm also a big guy, and that cubby was a non-issue to me, too. I did actually use it, though, so it would've been wasted space if it weren't there. (ETA: I notice things like that when they're jabbing into my leg, and that cubby wasn't.)

I'm not sure about the cutaways, but we use the rear AC in our Transits to cool the equipment and equipment racks in the back.

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

I spent a decent amount of time in a Transit  last year, including some time in the driver's seat. I'm also a big guy, and that cubby was a non-issue to me, too. I did actually use it, though, so it would've been wasted space if it weren't there. (ETA: I notice things like that when they're jabbing into my leg, and that cubby wasn't.)

I'm not sure about the cutaways, but we use the rear AC in our Transits to cool the equipment and equipment racks in the back.

What did you use the cubby for?

My comment about the rear AC controls was about the E-Series dash, which is cutaway only.  But then someone said it's used in ambulances & buses, so that makes sense.

On 3/9/2019 at 2:36 PM, YT90SC said:

FWD were the only versions that got timing chain driven pumps. ALL RWD are belt driven externally. They are actually *almost* completely identical. The RWD version uses an idler in place of the actual pump and the coolant is routed through the front cover to the external pump. 

I can't prove or disprove you, but that is NOT my recollection.  The F150 was available with the 3.7L and first gen 3.5L for a couple of years.  The EcoBoost system was different from what was used on the Taurus SHO (which was almost 100% Bosch).

1 minute ago, theoldwizard said:

I can't prove or disprove you, but that is NOT my recollection.  The F150 was available with the 3.7L and first gen 3.5L for a couple of years.  The EcoBoost system was different from what was used on the Taurus SHO (which was almost 100% Bosch).

The only reason they put the water pump there was because it didn’t fit the transverse applications.  Had nothing to do with first gen/second gen AFAIK.

On 3/9/2019 at 2:36 PM, YT90SC said:

To answer the PF/DI question... emissions. Port does better under certain conditions than Direct and vise-versa. A combination of both for still other operating parameters. It has ZERO to do with keeping valves clean. IT's just a nice byproduct. 

As for the "ancient" switchgear, in those Econoswine pics, that is 110% driven by the upfitter demands. They don't want it to change. Since it is ONLY for upfitter type sales now, they run the show. Plus fleets can stock one HVAC system control instead of several. Sometimes simple is best.

It's a "turnable" switch.  They could've put a different more modern knob on with it functioning the same.  Guess it doesn't matter, though.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:33 PM, SoonerLS said:

Same here. When was the last time Ford used any kind of DIN radio slot? I think the Super Duties had them up to a generation or two back, but almost everything else hasn't had any kind of slot at all in a long time (if ever). 

Well it looked like the E-series still used the brick until this setup, and it looks like they just developed a new insert to go where the brick was.

12 hours ago, NLPRacing said:

What did you use the cubby for?

I stuffed a couple of half-liter water bottles in there. It's a long way to Brownwood, Texas from, well, anywhere. Also, Brownwood is officially closed for business on Christmas. Thank God for hotel vending machines...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

The bottom line is, they did not build both at the same time.

We must be talking past each other.  As far as I know:

All of the longitudinal cyclone V6s have the external water pump.

All of the transverse engines have the internal water pump because the external water pump wouldn’t fit transverse applications.

Are you saying something different?

1 hour ago, akirby said:

We must be talking past each other.  As far as I know:

All of the longitudinal cyclone V6s have the external water pump.

All of the transverse engines have the internal water pump because the external water pump wouldn’t fit transverse applications.

Are you saying something different?

This was also my understanding.