2020 Transit info

CNET posted and subsequently pulled an article on the 2020 Ford Transit to debut this week. I found a site that has information on the reveal but it had to be translated via google.

The changes begin under the bonnet to see a 3.5-liter V6 engine replacing the previous 3.7-liter V6 standard . In addition, the company claims that the 3.5-liter will offer increases compared to the 275 horsepower that accompanied the previous 3.7-liter engine . Likewise, a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel should be more powerful and quieter than the inline-five 3.2-liter turbodiesel . The well-known 3.5-liter V8 biturboremains in the purchase options. In addition to diesel, the tech stop-start engine also saves fuel...

The standard 10-speed automatic transmission becomes a standard surprise , replacing the old six-speed transmission. Ford states that the longer transmission ratio range will improve both acceleration and fuel efficiency.

An important note is that Transit with all-wheel drive have the same driving height as normal rear-wheel drive vans. This makes it easier for passengers to enter or for workers to load the van, says Ford .

Power-sliding doors are also available for 2020, a feature that should be an advantage for the numerous Transit vans used as shuttles. " These doors are opened several times on a shuttle van than on a minivan, sometimes 500 times a day. " Tim Stoehr, general manager of the Ford fleet, said at the January preview in Detroit .

ford.001.jpg

AWD will be a home run.  I make it a point when I can and see a Transit to ask the driver.."how do you like it?  Usual responses are positive with exception of.."helpless in snow."  My heating oil supplier was doing an annual cleaning on my boiler last week and their new vans are FWD Rams.  Tech was complaining about that van in snow conditions.

8 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

AWD will be a home run.  I make it a point when I can and see a Transit to ask the driver.."how do you like it?  Usual responses are positive with exception of.."helpless in snow."  My heating oil supplier was doing an annual cleaning on my boiler last week and their new vans are FWD Rams.  Tech was complaining about that van in snow conditions.

100% agree. We have been hoping for AWD so we can buy new vans. 

Right now we run E-series (awful in snow) and a combination of AWD CRV’s and CX-5’s

40 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

What?!? According to FCA, Promaster is aces in the snow...

56 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

To be fair I've never heard of anyone who drove a ProMaster who didn't complain about it in general

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

To be fair I've never heard of anyone who drove a ProMaster who didn't complain about it in general

I know someone who has it or a work vehicle, but I know they aren't a Ford fan either-I'm assuming their old work van ate brakes or something, because he mentions that once in a while on Facebook. 

He also drives a Tundra too, so....

18 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I know someone who has it or a work vehicle, but I know they aren't a Ford fan either-I'm assuming their old work van ate brakes or something, because he mentions that once in a while on Facebook. 

He also drives a Tundra too, so....

I’ve always wondered why Toyota didn’t enter the commercial van market here. It’s got to be pretty profitable and it’s good exposure for truck sales. 

57 minutes ago, twintornados said:

What?!? According to FCA, Promaster is aces in the snow...

No argument- FWD vs RWD and you can bet that Transit was empty!  Wonder how long it took them to find the "optimal hill" that the FWD could make!  And note my post -the guy was bitching about his FWD Promaster's ability in snow!  FWD in a van loses its big "advantage" when the ass end is loaded with tools/supplies for its intended use.  By the way I use another heating oil outfit for another property I have.  Had that burner serviced in Oct.    Another Promaster!   Same question..Same answer.."terrible in snow"?

E series was always the van of choice around here in the oil heat business.  Now you see Promasters, Transits and an occasional Nissan NV (the big RWD one).

Again  AWD in a Transit will be a huge hit in particular with guys that don't have the option of going out on a service call when the weather/circumstances suit them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Again  AWD in a Transit will be a huge hit in particular with guys that don't have the option of going out on a service call when the weather/circumstances suit them.

Plus, Benz has AWD/ 4x4 available in the Sprinter, so the competition is there already.

HRG

14 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

If this is correct (AWD, 10 speed auto, power sliding doors, etc.), that's pretty exciting.  Hopefully it will get a higher trim level similar to the old "Chateau" in the E-Series with captains chairs, leather, etc.

Wiz would be first in line for that!!

• Haha 2

I think 10 speed auto is a given.

Not sure why Ford would bother with 3.5 V6 when F-150 is already using 3.3 V6... so that info must be wrong.

I'm surprise Ford will spend money on a new diesel for US market but maybe the 3.2 I5 was not engineered to work with 10 speed auto?

2 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I think 10 speed auto is a given.

Not sure why Ford would bother with 3.5 V6 when F-150 is already using 3.3 V6... so that info must be wrong.

I'm surprise Ford will spend money on a new diesel for US market but maybe the 3.2 I5 was not engineered to work with 10 speed auto?

Either they meant 3.3 (not knowing the 3.5 is on the way out the door) or the 3.5EB which seems wrong given the quoted output numbers.

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

BTW, here is the thread from when the van made its world debut in Germany a few months ago:

And the Ford press release (confirmed the 10 speed auto in RWD applications):

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2018/09/18/smartest-and-most-productive-ford-transit-makes-global-debut-at-.html

Interior is pretty dang nice for a work van. 

E4CC28ED-5100-4D7B-989E-BEC08E65D44E.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, twintornados said:

Where it claims a 2.0L diesel, they are likely referring to the new 3.0L Powerstroke V6 and more likely the 3.3 NA V6 as apposed to the 3.5L

Well....I'll be darned...they ARE putting the 2.0L Diesel in there....wow...and as for the non-turbo V6...I only wonder if Ford punched the 3.3L out to 3.5L....things that make you go "hmmmm.."

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Well....I'll be darned...they ARE putting the 2.0L Diesel in there....wow...and as for the non-turbo V6...I only wonder if Ford punched the 3.3L out to 3.5L....things that make you go "hmmmm.."

I was under the impression that the 3.3 was just a shrunk down 3.5L, not from the V6 Nano family.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2020-ford-transit-van-refreshed/

• silvrsvt changed the title to 2020 Transit info
18 hours ago, NLPRacing said:

If this is correct (AWD, 10 speed auto, power sliding doors, etc.), that's pretty exciting.  Hopefully it will get a higher trim level similar to the old "Chateau" in the E-Series with captains chairs, leather, etc.

I have been waiting for this for YEARS !

• Like 1