The last Ford Taurus has rolled off the line in Chicago

On 3/2/2019 at 8:09 AM, ice-capades said:

Agreed. The recent Taurus is a pig weight wise and has less interior room than the Fusion. And now customers are buying competitor's products because they don't want to buy a discontinued model, even though Ford cars are still in production. A long term Ford customer just bought a Honda Accord because they thought the Fusion was already out of production. 

Brought to you by the genius Ford managment team.....

2 hours ago, 630land said:

"I could see them bringing back a C2 based Focus hatch or Fusion to fill out capacity. "

I'd like to see that, but I don't think it will happen. When Millennials get more buying power will they demand new cars again? Compared to Gen X and Boomers who are gobbling up UV's and pick-ups.

The market is cyclical, so we'll see.  Today's crossovers are essentially what we had back in the 40s.

7 hours ago, 630land said:

"I could see them bringing back a C2 based Focus hatch or Fusion to fill out capacity. "

I'd like to see that, but I don't think it will happen. When Millennials get more buying power will they demand new cars again? Compared to Gen X and Boomers who are gobbling up UV's and pick-ups.

Well the Ranger was considered “dead for good” in the US market 8 years ago... yet here it is. A bit late, but better then never. That’s the only thing that makes me nervous about Ford. A shift could happen whether it’s for economic reasons or buyers changing tastes and Ford would show up to the party years after it got started.

50 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

Well the Ranger was considered “dead for good” in the US market 8 years ago... yet here it is. A bit late, but better then never. That’s the only thing that makes me nervous about Ford. A shift could happen whether it’s for economic reasons or buyers changing tastes and Ford would show up to the party years after it got started.

Development time was one of the areas Hackett was supposed to be addressing. Remains to be seen if his plans in that area have had any effect  yet. I still question how in the world he plans on accomplishing that with a smaller engineering staff and a tighter budget but what do I know, I just build the damn things. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

The current Focus is pretty much ready to go - it was designed for NA from the get go, and it's on the C2 platform which both Mexican plants will be using so it would be very easy to bring it back if the market demands it.   Fusion/Mondeo will be harder unless they move Mondeo to C2. 

• Like 1

I do not know why there is so much hate on here for this machine.  Reliable, very comfortable (for me and my wife anyway) and it is built like a tank!  Just made a deal to buy a new 2018 SEL today.:happyfeet:  Will pick it up on Thursday! (Could not pass up on $6500 in cash back)  

Edited by danglin
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Development time was one of the areas Hackett was supposed to be addressing. Remains to be seen if his plans in that area have had any effect  yet. I still question how in the world he plans on accomplishing that with a smaller engineering staff and a tighter budget but what do I know, I just build the damn things. 

And now I know. They’re shipping a ton of work that used to be done in house out to suppliers. 

1 hour ago, danglin said:

I do not know why there is so much hate on here for this machine.  Reliable, very comfortable (for me and my wife anyway) and it is built like a tank!  Just made a deal to buy a new 2018 SEL today.:happyfeet:  Will pick it up on Thursday! (Could not pass up on $6500 in cash back)  

Yes-that's part of the problem. All the interior room of a tank......

On 3/5/2019 at 9:55 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

And now I know. They’re shipping a ton of work that used to be done in house out to suppliers. 

Sure that is what management sometimes does when they want to transfer "headaches"/resposibility.  "See- I just fixed THAT problem".  

Best analogy I can come up with is fleet management.  Ryder and other leasing companies IMO have done well by identifying the sloppy fleet operators who are clueless on how to manage an effective fleet maintenance program.  Instead of putting their arms around it, the leasing companies offer to take the "headache off their hands".   Aside from perhaps some obvious economics,  it makes it easy for management to wash their hands of the problem.

And guys like Hackett, can then make speeches to the financial community about head count reduction!  End result?  Lousy product?  Well those pigeons will come home to roost way down the road!