The last Ford Taurus has rolled off the line in Chicago

20 hours ago, DequindreToo said:

It's sad, but it seems like most Taurus buyers (civilians and police departments alike) have voluntarily moved into vehicles like the Explorer and Edge. 

Our department just signed a contract with Chrysler... 

7 minutes ago, 92LX302 said:

Our department just signed a contract with Chrysler... 

All the municipalities around me run PIUs. When I see a Charger (or the odd Caprice) it’s usually state or county, and even those fleets are heavy PIU. 

10 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Ahh   to each his own

SHO 1758.jpg

That’s a nice looking car Bob. I can understand why automakers are cutting down their sedan line-ups, but getting rid of them all I think is a mistake. I’ll never agree with the decision to drop the Focus and Fusion. If the market changes and sedans regain popularity you can count on Ford to bring them back about 8 years later. ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sullynd said:

All the municipalities around me run PIUs. When I see a Charger (or the odd Caprice) it’s usually state or county, and even those fleets are heavy PIU. 

Yep. We the odd PIU issued in the last few months but I guess fleet management preferred sedans. It's too bad, the PIUs are nice. 

Shame to see it go.  My 2010 SHO has been one of the best cars I've owned.  It's fast, quiet, loaded with tech, and at 130k has been RELIABLE.  Yes, it's a pig, yes the back seats are cramped but the trunk is huge and it's an awesome highway cruiser - getting near 26 MPG and will fly past most cars on the road.

For a 2009 non-luxury car it did have the tech - radar cruise, heated/cooled and massaging seats, auto high beams, cross traffic alert, blind spot, push button start, Sync/BT, nav, auto wipers.  It's a little thing but I even love the rear sunshade.

It's a shame Ford never kept updating it - it could have been a great vehicle

Edited by itguy09
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, itguy09 said:

Shame to see it go.  My 2010 SHO has been one of the best cars I've owned.  It's fast, quiet, loaded with tech, and at 130k has been RELIABLE.  Yes, it's a pig, yes the back seats are cramped but the trunk is huge and it's an awesome highway cruiser - getting near 26 MPG and will fly past most cars on the road.

For a 2009 non-luxury car it did have the tech - radar cruise, heated/cooled and massaging seats, auto high beams, cross traffic alert, blind spot, push button start, Sync/BT, nav, auto wipers.  It's a little thing but I even love the rear sunshade.

It's a shame Ford never kept updating it - it could have been a great vehicle

I agree. When they came out, they really were a top notch car minus the cramped interior. Had ford used a different platform to push things out a little and actually advertised the damn thing. It could have dethroned the 300. I rented one for a week in Orlando back in 2010. It wasn’t very easy to get accustomed to driving in an unfamiliar city in the rain. Was hard to see out of. I eventually got used to it.  However, the car was a looker for sure and the front seats were comfortable. 

1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

The Taurus and Fusion are 10 times better looking than any Honda or Toyota.  Ford just can't crack the quality issue.

The Taurus has been quite reliable both in civilian and police use.  Mine, while needing some stuff under warranty has been super reliable after the warranty.  A few little things here and there (belt tensioner, AC blend motor come to mind) but all were simple repairs.  Even at 130k I'd drive it cross country tomorrow.

3 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

I agree. When they came out, they really were a top notch car minus the cramped interior. Had ford used a different platform to push things out a little and actually advertised the damn thing. It could have dethroned the 300. I rented one for a week in Orlando back in 2010. It wasn’t very easy to get accustomed to driving in an unfamiliar city in the rain. Was hard to see out of. I eventually got used to it.  However, the car was a looker for sure and the front seats were comfortable. 

Agreed.   When I first got it, people at work asked what new car I got.  When I said 2010 Taurus they looked at me like I was an idiot.  Then I said - see that red car there?  That's the Taurus.  Then the oohs and aahs came out. 

We did notice the cramped interior and the back seat room is tight for the size of the car.  I kind of like the "cockpit" nature of the drivers's seat.  It's most definitely a long distance cruiser for sure.  I did PA - Orlando in a day -and it wasn't bad at all.  Set the cruise and it was basically gas, bathroom and food until we got there.  It's a shame they didn't advertise it and figure out how to tweak it over the past 9 years.

• Like 1

An iconic name for Ford. The first Taurus was the best car made by Ford ever in 1986, and one of the more innovative car Ford made in its history.

I hope the name return in a new vehicle that deserve it.

12 hours ago, wildosvt said:

I have a "15 SHO. I am 6'2" and I fit in there just fine. I am quite cozy actually. RIP.

I agree-I think the issue isn't the actual interior-its the way the dashes/center consoles are designed-The where going to a cockpit type feeling and I noticed this on pretty much any Product (outside the F-series) post 2012 or so. My SHO has enough room for me as a driver and I have no complaints-its the best parkway cruiser I've ever driven with its ride and power, but it is "tight" feeling. The 2013+ Escape is bigger then the old one, but you physically have less space in the passenger seat then the pre-2012 because of the dash and center console in it. I could cross my leg in my wife's 2010 escape and be comfortable, now my leg bumps up against the dash/center console if I do that in her new one. 

I've noticed in my non-Ford rental vehicles that the dashes are futher away from the driver-esp in GM and Hyundai products-which gives them the feeling of having more room. 

50 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I've noticed in my non-Ford rental vehicles that the dashes are futher away from the driver-esp in GM and Hyundai products-which gives them the feeling of having more room. 

2012-2018 Focus really had a big problem with that. The IP came out REALLY far into the passenger compartment. I'm average height and frequently I would hit my knee on it getting into the car. 

39 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

2012-2018 Focus really had a big problem with that. The IP came out REALLY far into the passenger compartment. I'm average height and frequently I would hit my knee on it getting into the car. 

Exactly-I noticed that at a Focus ST test drive I took

I also noticed that the next Gen Escape and 2020 Explorer has a completely different dash shape to that looks like it gives the driver and passenger more room.

Cockpit style interiors are fine on the Mustang, but they don't work too well on other products. 

On 3/2/2019 at 11:33 AM, twintornados said:

Why would they think that? If they were as "long term" are you state, wouldn't they have talked to you first? Or, maybe your dealership marketing department dropped the ball....or, heaven forbid, they just wanted a Honda and didn't have the heart to tell you, instead, just telling you the excuse you stated here.

Because Ford announced they're dropping all sedans, and news outlets don't read any further and actually report they'll be made for a few more years, they just go with the dramatic headline "FORD DROPPING SEDANS" and that's all people see/hear.  It was all over the news everywhere.  The average buyer isn't going to do more research than that if they hear it on the news.

On 3/3/2019 at 7:05 AM, jpd80 said:

I'm left with the feeling that Ford will  continue the car cull but then start hedging its bet, whether that's importing or limited  Mexican production.

I agree.  You'd think with car sales around the globe dropping that they could have a global "mega-source" for cars that then ship everywhere around the world as need be.

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Because Ford announced they're dropping all sedans, and news outlets don't read any further and actually report they'll be made for a few more years, they just go with the dramatic headline "FORD DROPPING SEDANS" and that's all people see/hear.  It was all over the news everywhere.  The average buyer isn't going to do more research than that if they hear it on the news

Exactly.  I heard from many people that Ford is "killing their cars" and had to explain what it really meant.  Terrible PR.

On the importing I don't think there was enough profit left in what they could sell (Focus and Fusion SEs mostly) to make it worth the effort.   And I don't think they wanted to compromise getting Mexico ready for the new utilities.   Once they've converted the plants to C2 and if they have excess capacity I could see them bringing back a C2 based Focus hatch or Fusion to fill out capacity.

To average people, some think the Taurus was dropped ages ago. When the 2007 was dropped, it made SNL "Weekend Update" joke as "car for those who gave up on their dreams". I disagree, but to those in Coastal regions, used to imports, they couldn't care less.

Ford gave up on it after Mullaly left the co.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Exactly.  I heard from many people that Ford is "killing their cars" and had to explain what it really meant.  Terrible PR.

On the importing I don't think there was enough profit left in what they could sell (Focus and Fusion SEs mostly) to make it worth the effort.   And I don't think they wanted to compromise getting Mexico ready for the new utilities.   Once they've converted the plants to C2 and if they have excess capacity I could see them bringing back a C2 based Focus hatch or Fusion to fill out capacity.

PR has been horrible, but that comes from the top, and the lack of a message to put forth.

---

They should've just built that plant and they wouldn't have to drop anything.

"I could see them bringing back a C2 based Focus hatch or Fusion to fill out capacity. "

I'd like to see that, but I don't think it will happen. When Millennials get more buying power will they demand new cars again? Compared to Gen X and Boomers who are gobbling up UV's and pick-ups.

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1