Bronco mule

2 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

I guess the take away from this may be that it is small and more true to the original Bronco than the "OJ" Bronco. This makes me happier. 

After all, if they had to cut that much off a Ranger, to get this mule to fit, it has to be somewhat small.

I said it 2 years ago on here.. it is styled after the 1973 Bronco and was a 2 door at the time.

Edited by blwnsmoke

46 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They confirmed the 2 door. I don't remember them ever officially saying they were using the 73 as the inspiration for the design. 

I remember it being said, but I don't recall by whom, although it was someone fairly senior at Ford. It was in an article about his early Bronco.

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The F-series based one was the size of an Escape.

Maybe in wheelbase and overall length, but the Escape is nowhere near as big as the late model Broncos in any other dimension. With a front bench seat, the Bronco seated six comfortably; I was over 6' tall and still rode comfortably in the back seat with my brother and sister, even on long trips. I'm not sure I could ride comfortably in the back seat of an Escape on a crosstown trip.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

Maybe in wheelbase and overall length, but the Escape is nowhere near as big as the late model Broncos in any other dimension. With a front bench seat, the Bronco seated six comfortably; I was over 6' tall and still rode comfortably in the back seat with my brother and sister, even on long trips. I'm not sure I could ride comfortably in the back seat of an Escape on a crosstown trip.

I'm 5'11" and I did it in a 30 minute trip to downtown Detroit once. It was manageable but I don't think I could do more than an hour without needing to stretch. 

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

Disregard the body completely, this is a mule.  IFS for sure, and I'll bet IRS as well.  

Watts Link is more rugged for off road work and already found in Everest and Ranger Raptor. I think they will stick to what they know..

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Watts Link is more rugged for off road work and already found in Everest and Ranger Raptor. I think they will stick to what they know..

That was my first guess, but looking at the lengths Ford went to to camouflage the rear suspension I think they are hiding something new.  

10 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

That was my first guess, but looking at the lengths Ford went to to camouflage the rear suspension I think they are hiding something new.  

Time will tell, actual bodies shouldn't be too far away if the tooling prove out goes well..

Remind me.......is this a '21MY vehicle? 

From my ringside seat (and this is based on me purely watching the development of Mustangs over the years).....normally we'd see these hacked up mules at least 18 (and up to 24?) months prior to the car being launched. Prototypes are usually spotted (with heavy camo) at least 12 months out with camo-wrapped prototypes at least 6 months prior to launch.......and THEN there's normally a 6 month wait for production.

Which to me means this would be more like a '22MY vehicle

31 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

So will they just increase line speed when Bronco starts?

No, you misunderstood me. You are technically correct when you say MAP stays on 1 shift until the Bronco launches, but that only applies to Final Assembly. Body and Paint have been on 2 shifts since "full" Ranger production began in December and it will stay that way indefinitely as far as I've heard. 

• Like 1