Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
T-dubz

Bronco mule

Recommended Posts

Powertrain mule. The first actual Bronco bodies are scheduled to be built at the pilot plant sometime in April. 

 

Fun Fact: that rail line feeds the Rouge complex. Those cement arches are relics of the old DT&I railroad from when Henry Ford owned it. They were built during his experiment with electrifying the line but the powerhouse couldn't keep up with the electric demands a fully loaded train needed and the project was abandoned. The arches remain because they were so well overbuilt it was determined it was unnecessary and too expensive to tear them down. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This actually got me excited seeing this. Confirms that they are definitely going ahead with the 2 door version of new Bronco. Heard some rumors that either only few 2 doors will be made or have been canceled. I already know what a mule is and why they did the Ranger cab and short bed of it. Makes sense that it's a powertrain test and will do Bronco trial body later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

This actually got me excited seeing this. Confirms that they are definitely going ahead with the 2 door version of new Bronco. Heard some rumors that either only few 2 doors will be made or have been canceled. I already know what a mule is and why they did the Ranger cab and short bed of it. Makes sense that it's a powertrain test and will do Bronco trial body later.

 

I expect the mix of 2 door Bronco to eventually be similar to that of the Wrangler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I said in the other thread they were limiting Ranger build combinations, I didn't think THIS would be their response.......sheesh that bed is tiny!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

for those that aren't sure....

 

[/sarcasm]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And by the way, that's just current Ranger body work made to fit the future Bronco chassis,  looks like Watts Link in the rear, hopefully outboard shocks like on Ranger Raptor.. cant wait to see the four door version...oops

Also, that  little cover at the back most likely covers the rear skeleton of the two door Bronco, so maybe a clue to the rear shape?

Edited by jpd80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I expect the mix of 2 door Bronco to eventually be similar to that of the Wrangler. 

Oh I didn't think they would do the 2 door/4 door ratio of that similar to the Wrangler but that does makes sense. I figured the 2 door would be much less and pretty much marketed for the purists while the 4 door being made as mainstream Bronco model. But you may be right on that regarding the similarity of Wrangler 2 door/4 door ratio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Oh I didn't think they would do the 2 door/4 door ratio of that similar to the Wrangler but that does makes sense. I figured the 2 door would be much less and pretty much marketed for the purists while the 4 door being made as mainstream Bronco model. But you may be right on that regarding the similarity of Wrangler 2 door/4 door ratio.

I suspect that both will look similar, the two door having a similar space behind the door as the mule and the four door being a longer wheelbase and body

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

And by the way, that's just current Ranger body work made to fit the future Bronco chassis,  looks like Watts Link in the rear, hopefully outboard shocks like on Ranger Raptor.. cant wait to see the four door version...oops

Also, that  little cover at the back most likely covers the rear skeleton of the two door Bronco, so maybe a clue to the rear shape?

Those tail lights are also... not Ranger 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

And by the way, that's just current Ranger body work made to fit the future Bronco chassis,

Thanks Captain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look closely at the rear section....a lot of it clearly different to everything else

 

this-could-be-the-ford-bronco-1.jpg

 

 

Edited by jpd80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Front is definitely IFS for anyone thinking they were actually going to stick an SFA up there.

Curious what type of suspension is hiding behind those brushes in the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the take away from this may be that it is small and more true to the original Bronco than the "OJ" Bronco. This makes me happier. 

After all, if they had to cut that much off a Ranger, to get this mule to fit, it has to be somewhat small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Front is definitely IFS for anyone thinking they were actually going to stick an SFA up there.

Curious what type of suspension is hiding behind those brushes in the back.

Some of the shots from the rear seem to show a set of control blades below the axle suggesting IRS. I'll reserve judgment for when I see better pictures 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

IRS is a possibility but the other could be Watts Link and coils  like this T6 Everest..

2015-Ford-Everest-17.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

I guess the take away from this may be that it is small and more true to the original Bronco than the "OJ" Bronco. This makes me happier. 

After all, if they had to cut that much off a Ranger, to get this mule to fit, it has to be somewhat small.

I hate to keep making this comparison but My best guess is it is similar in size to the Wrangler.

 

People forget just how small the 66-77 Bronco was. The 77 on was HUGE. Officially the Expedition was it's replacement FFS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen a mule this cobbled together since the first C8 Corvette one. That used a Holden Ute hood and front cabin, IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I hate to keep making this comparison but My best guess is it is similar in size to the Wrangler.

 

People forget just how small the 66-77 Bronco was. The 77 on was HUGE. Officially the Expedition was it's replacement FFS. 

Keep it more contenpary-

The 75 Bronco was the size of an Ecosport

The F-series based one was the size of an Escape.

I shit you not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrangler in 2-door and 4-door is probably a good size comparison, especially widths and wheelbases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My perfect Bronco would this style and size but with the longer front doors and a space behind like the mule shot..

maybe make the side panels a bit taller through the body....

 

1966-maxlider-ford-bronco-four-door-side

 

 

Edited by jpd80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×