Magnaflow Exhaust

blksn8k2

Several weeks ago I installed a Magnaflow 19054 cat-back system on my '18 5.0L. Based on a video review I watched from a reputable parts house and my experience with the Magnaflow system I had on my V8 Sport Trac I assumed it would not be much louder than the factory system. Wrong.

This is a dual outlet system that exits in front of the passenger side rear tire. It uses 3" pipe from the flange behind the cats to a single oval muffler with two 2.5" tailpipes with 3.5" polished, angle cut tips. The entire system is made from 409 stainless.

Looks great IMO but I assume the mid-truck exit probably contributes to a lot of the interior drone around 2000 rpm. This system does not include a resonator like the factory system but it is actually pretty quiet at idle once you get past cold startup and it sounds absolutely amazing at WOT. My biggest complaint is that it is just annoyingly loud at cruising speeds.

My first attempt to quiet it down was to add a small 3" straight through resonator directly in front of the muffler. Didn't make a damn bit of difference. I now have a longer stainless resonator with the same 3" pipe size but with a larger body diameter on order. Hopefully that will make it more acceptable. There is only about 21" of length between the flange and the muffler to add a resonator and some of that space is used up by the transmission crossmember. Squeezing in a resonator any longer than about 14" would be impossible.

Ultimately I suppose I could reinstall the factory resonator which is 14" long but that would only be as a last resort short of just putting the entire factory system back on and calling it a failed experiment.

The factory system used 3" pipe through the cats to the flange and then it was necked down to 2.5" from the flange through the resonator to the muffler and then back up to 3" after the muffler and out a single tailpipe that exited behind the passenger side rear tire. Putting the factory resonator with it's 2.5" restriction back into the system seems like defeating the whole purpose of changing the system in the first place. The only "gains" would be the smaller Magnaflow muffler and dual outlets in place of the huge factory muffler and single tailpipe. Would probably still sound and look better than the factory system but not much of an improvement in efficiency.

Stay tuned...

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

Others who have installed this and similar aftermarket systems report no such corrosion issues. The only truck I am aware of that Ford used a similar system on was the 2nd gen SVT Lightning. I don't know what type of coating they used on those wheels but if it wasn't any better than I have experienced on other Ford factory wheels from that era it wouldn't surprise me at all if all four wheels had the same amount of corrosion. A lot of it also depends on the environment including the type of conditions the truck was used in and did it get driven on roads treated with salt, etc.

ALL 97 F150 had front of the wheel exhaust exits. It *absolutely* destroyed any wheel, center cap etc that was on the right rear and even discolored the raised white letters on the tires. There was a TSB at that time to replace the exhaust with the then-updated 98 normal exit style, and the affected rims/center caps. I don't think they would cover the tire though.