How much is aluminum?

HotRunrGuy

At a local dealers Ranger test-drive event this past weekend, the Sales Guy tried to tell me the body is aluminum, like the F-150. He was specifically pointing to the outer bedside at the time.

From what I can tell, the hood, front fenders and tailgate are aluminum, anything else?  I didn't have a magnet with me, to confirm what he was saying.

HRG

34 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

At a local dealers Ranger test-drive event this past weekend, the Sales Guy tried to tell me the body is aluminum, like the F-150. He was specifically pointing to the outer bedside at the time.

From what I can tell, the hood, front fenders and tailgate are aluminum, anything else?  I didn't have a magnet with me, to confirm what he was saying.

HRG

Just the Hood and Tailgate. Fenders are steel. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Just the Hood and Tailgate. Fenders are steel. 

Everything I've been reading says the fenders are aluminum too.  Really, they are steel?

https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/news/2019-ford-ranger-preview-article-1.3754965

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/everything-you-need-to-know-about-ford-rangers-2018-return.html/

7 minutes ago, Anthony said:

You own one, try sticking a magnet onto one of them :hysterical:

if im wrong I'll gladly eat crow for that one

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

It all depends how much nickel is mixed in,,,,,

https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae546.cfm

HRG

This ☝️

As for whether they are magnetic, the answer is that it depends. There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. These are formed from the addition of chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon (making them 'martensitic') and are often used in cutlery. However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic. 

Edited by Anthony

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Ok, since we are now talking about stainless steel....guess it is time for a gratuitous shot of a DMC12...

Funny story - Monday night I was playing mixed doubles tennis and my South African opponent's name was Lorian.  She said it's pronounced just like the car - DeLorean.  She said the guys get it right away when she uses that analogy.   The women - not so much.