2020 Explorer with 3.3 NA V6

edselford

Good suggestion edselford sir. This should be easy for Ford to do. 2020 Police Interceptor Utility (Explorer) offers 3.3L direct injection V6 non-hybrid with 10-speed automatic. So it shouldn't be a big deal to extend availability to the civilian 2020 Explorer.

The 3.5L V6 6-speed combo in current Explorer is on the rough side, and is also fuel thirsty. New 3.3 DI V6 10-speed should address both of those things.

Edited by rperez817
  • Haha 1

Huh? Most who reviewed the Nautilus' switch to I4 2.0EB as the base engine (replacing the 3.7 naturally aspirated V6) spoke well of the change, as the turbo 2.0 produces better torque lower in the power band with only a tiny hit in hp, all with improved fuel efficiency. While I haven't driven them, it seems that the 2.3EB would be an even better alternative as base engine to a 3.3 naturally V6, though I might be missing something here. Maybe the sound? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

Huh? Most who reviewed the Nautilus' switch to I4 2.0EB as the base engine (replacing the 3.7 naturally aspirated V6) spoke well of the change, as the turbo 2.0 produces better torque lower in the power band with only a tiny hit in hp, all with improved fuel efficiency. While I haven't driven them, it seems that the 2.3EB would be an even better alternative as base engine to a 3.3 naturally V6, though I might be missing something here. Maybe the sound? 

We've owned 3 ecoboosts (Fusion 2.0L, Escape 2.0L and F150 3.5L) and 2 Duratec V6s (Edge 3.5L and MKX 3.7L).   I much prefer the ecoboost engines for the low end torque.  I'm also getting 22 mpg on my F150 in mixed driving.  That's 1 mpg better than the MKX 3.7L.

I think some folks still think it's the 1980s when it comes to turbocharged engine technology.

• Like 4

Well

interesting discussion.  I did not know police and fleet can order 3.3 NA V6 in 2020 Explorer.

why? A segment of the customers would prefer simplicity and long term durability. I’m sure sound cancellation technology used to cover up some nvh issues due to 4 cylinder.

I have had two ecoboost engines a 1.6 and 1.5 liter in escapes.  They feel great at lower engine speeds but run out of steam above 70MPH.

also my 2013 Ford Taurus fwd with 3.5 liter and 2.77 final drive got better highway mileage than either ecoboost engines.

its interesting for me with all these turbos because in 1983 I participated in a study at Borg Warner to determine if the car companies would need turbo chargers for future downsizing!

we said a definite yes but we did not have the timing quite right. The first Borg Warner turbo designs were based upon IHI designs made in Japan.

edsel ford

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, edselford said:

also my 2013 Ford Taurus fwd with 3.5 liter and 2.77 final drive got better highway mileage than either ecoboost engines

The first and even second gen ecoboosts had cooling issues that caused them to run rich.   The newer gens seemed to have solved that problem.  I was absolutely shocked that I was getting 22 mpg in my 3.5L EB F150.   I've even seen 30 on the highway a couple of times in the right conditions.  Amazing.

• 2 weeks later...