Is there a suggested max diameter difference across the LSD?

Zooks527

Good morning.

All the current Mustangs have a limited slip differential in the rear end, either a Trac-Loc or Torsen, depending on the model and options.  Rolling circumference differences in the tires across the rear axle are known to cause problems if the difference is too great.  The problem is that "too great" is almost never defined.

In the pas, Audi, VW, and Subaru had set limits for tire differences, mostly related to effects on the center differential.  As Audi and VW used to use (and may still use) a Torsen differential in the center, that got me wondering if there are any set guidelines for the Mustang's rear end, or if it's along to lines of the old "1% is probably OK, 10% is probably bad, who knows about the middle" recommendations?

Thanks!

Good question. Have read about 2 different versions on this-

1) Doesn't make any difference as differential will compensate.

2) Will make a difference and minimal changes are OK but not permanently. Width may be a factor, not aware of anything. As what Brucelinc stated.

Not saying why changing? Brembos may not clear and spare IS available but they're costly, perfect match and will fit front and rear- no problem. Yup, have one and fits wheel well with a bit of ingenuity. Have mine with wheel chocks setting under it and props wheel to inner deck height. See if I can locate...... https://www.automotiveauthorityllc.com/products/spare-wheel-and-tire-kit-for-2015-2017-ford-mustang-gt-with-brembo-brakes?variant=3892365951003 The quality is there and if your keeping car for awhile?

How nice to see actual topic here other than somebody looking for where their new car is.

Edited by Rich B.

53 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Scroll down a bit until you get to the mini-spare question. Direct from Torsen.

https://torsen.com/category/customer-questions/

HRG

Interesting.  Up to 25% diameter difference on a T-spare on a Torsen, "if you keep to the speed and distance restrictions".  I remember 50 mph, and I think I recall 50 miles. The lower speed restriction likely keeps the temperature down. My assumption is that there's a fair amount of friction being generated, but Torsen knows the product is robust enough to handle it over that distance. 

That covers the Torsen (my issue).  Trac-Loc may vary.

Edited by Zooks527