More Tesla Woes

92merc

Oh, oh, the dreaded "not recommended" label. 

Ma and Pa America don't read car magazines, or frequent car forums, but many do read CR.  This may hurt Tesla.

Tesla's ship-shod assembly methods finally caught up with them.  Can't say I'm surprised.  Sandy Munro, in his strip-down, praised the Model 3's electronics, but heavily criticized its poor construction.  Looks like he was right.

25 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

This is the part I don't get. Bags are required to be vented (right?) to deflate at a certain rate after inflation. 

Exactly.  The only thing I can think of is somehow the vent holes got blocked by the dash design or maybe due to the deformity caused by the tree?

I don't think I've ever heard of a case where airbags didn't deflate.

I'm thinking they did deflate but were blocking the window so the woman thought they were still inflated.

Door handle issue is interesting, if you go watch crash tests on them online, the door handles never start to extend after the collision takes place. If you look at an IPACE one you can see they start to.

Edited by jasonj80

Manufacturers have been doing aero for 30 years now.  Those crazy doorhandles are just Tesla being Tesla, they think they had a better idea.  Looks like they don’t.  The outside door handles do poorly in winter weather, frequently freezing up.  Model 3 owners in cold climates haven’t been happy.  

Sometimes an old-fashioned mechanical door handle is just better.

42 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Those crazy doorhandles are just Tesla being Tesla, they think they had a better idea. 

JLR are doing them now as well. The Velar has auto retracting handles. I think the right balance are the ones where you push in one end and the other end pops out. Still sit flush with bodywork, and mechanically simple enough with no electronics to stuff up... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, justins said:

JLR are doing them now as well. The Velar has auto retracting handles. I think the right balance are the ones where you push in one end and the other end pops out. Still sit flush with bodywork, and mechanically simple enough with no electronics to stuff up... 

...until there's ice. Then, the push-me-pull-me handles struggle.

On 2/25/2019 at 7:52 PM, justins said:

My moms 1972 Ford LTD wagon had flush door handles...

Image result for 1972 Ford LTD door handles