7 months of corvettes sitting on lots

blwnsmoke

1 hour ago, falconlover 1 said:

Between a 150,000$ Corvette and a 150,000$ Ferrari, what will you choose?

The traditional price advantage of the Chevy will be lost with the new model. The sales? I dont want to think in that...

Not sure you can buy a ferrari nowadays for $150K.

People are paying $450K for a Ford GT over all the other supercars, so no reason to think GM couldn't do the same with a $150K or $200K corvette if it has the performance and other features to match the price.  It's not about volume.

1 hour ago, falconlover 1 said:

The traditional price advantage of the Chevy will be lost with the new model. The sales? I dont want to think in that...

Why?  Because it is going mid-engine?  Going mid-engine doesn't suddenly more than double the price of the vehicle.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

People are paying $450K for a Ford GT over all the other supercars, so no reason to think GM couldn't do the same with a $150K or $200K corvette if it has the performance and other features to match the price.  It's not about volume.

Well, the GT is also volume limited, which also creates an added demand.  GM doesn't have a clue what that means, unless it happens by accident (SSR, ELR, etc).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

The new Corvette is not going to cost $150,000 - except perhaps a limited high performance edition like the ZR1.  The current range is @$55k - $140k.  The C8 should start at under $65k.

35 minutes ago, msm859 said:

The new Corvette is not going to cost $150,000 - except perhaps a limited high performance edition like the ZR1.  The current range is @$55k - $140k.  The C8 should start at under $65k.

The new corvette will cost that high, if you check the option boxes. It will be just under 100,00 for the basic v8 option.  I'll eat crow if I am wrong but heard from several people that it will be pushing close to 100 in base form. No way in hell for $65 (ZL1 Camaro price).

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

The new corvette will cost that high, if you check the option boxes. It will be just under 100,00 for the basic v8 option.  I'll eat crow if I am wrong but heard from several people that it will be pushing close to 100 in base form. No way in hell for $65 (ZL1 Camaro price).

Well I suspect we will know in less then 6 months.  I have heard the naysayers  on price.  I have no problem stating my belief.  At $100,000 they will kill their sales - after they just spent a lot of money expanding the plant in Bowling Green.  As to the Camaro pricing look at the new Explorer vs Aviator (we are on a Ford site).  A top of the line Explorer costs more then the starting price of an Aviator.  And for another prediction they will have a Cadillac derivative coming from Bowling Green (may be a year or two out).  They need to increase production to justify the expansion.

12 hours ago, akirby said:

The Ford GT is something special. What do you think if Ford would it have changed the Mustang and turned it into what is today the GT with a central engine? That would not be a Mustang, it would not be the kind of vehicle that has always been. That's what I mean by the fact that the vehicle designed by Chevy is not a Corvette. It's another thing

On 2/25/2019 at 1:01 PM, jcartwright99 said:

There has been enough hint the price will hover around $100k for a while. It's still going to be a huge performance bargain regardless. You can spent that much on a Boxster and that thing has a 4 cylinder engine...

23 minutes ago, bzcat said:

There has been enough hint the price will hover around $100k for a while. It's still going to be a huge performance bargain regardless. You can spent that much on a Boxster and that thing has a 4 cylinder engine...

Performance bargain, yes, but no match in the looks department.

6 hours ago, msm859 said:

The Boxster?  Does nothing for me.  I have owned 4 Corvettes and they only get better looking.  The C7 has been the best by far.  Still gets lots of compliments.

IMG_4857.JPG

That long hood and short rear deck are beautiful, the proportions are perfect. Is a shame that everything will change when the next sport car GM insist on calling Corvette will get a short hood, long rear deck typical of cars with center engines.

The shock for traditional Corvette customers will be huge.

Edited by falconlover 1

1 hour ago, mustang let back said:

The vette is nothing more than a Ferrari frontend rip off. Just like when they ripped the vipers frontend off.vetts are played out, and the sales show that. ?

Ouch!  Although I am okay if they borrow the looks from a Ferrari as long as they have the performance to back it up and the right price point.  As to sales, Corvettes have always been cyclical.  Strong when a new generation comes out, good the next year or two when they bring the high performance models out, and then tapers out until the next generation.

Edited by msm859

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Corvette sales in February were 1,098

February has never been a big month for Corvette sales - a winter thing.  Plus last time they were on a verge of a generation change -2013 they only sold 980 in February and 17,291 for the year.  In 2014 sales doubled for the year to 34,839.  Most Corvette buyers are waiting for the C8.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 630land said:

Corvette should be a separate GM division/brand, it virtually is anyway.

Another issue with Vette is its image with younger car fans, who jokingly call it "mid life crisis car", and don't "dream of someday getting one".

I agree it is a problem being a "Chevrolet" because too often people who can buy them have also bought other cars from luxury dealers were they get treated "better".

And I have heard the jokes about the "mid life crisis car".  I guess I have been in my "mid life crisis" for 18 years now.  However, I think they are changing that with the style.  My first C5 was bought in 2001, then had a C6 in 2005 and 2008.  Now have my 2014 C7.  This one by far has garnered the most attention and comments - many from a younger crowd.  Best bang for the buck out there.  Am looking forward to the C8.

I wonder why Dodge was never able to figure out the Viper? The last model was such a great looking car, way nicer than this shitty go fast chevy.

I guess it was just too expensive for what it was, or dodge just doesn't have the brand cache.   Anyways i'll miss it, the camaro and vette can die though.