2020 Lincoln Corsair with less camo

If the Corsair is not shown at the NYAS, then the Escape/Corsair will definitely have its own standalone unveiling event like the Focus and Explorer. I do think the Corsair will be shown but do wonder what it would be if it's something entirely else though. I'm also curious about Ford's event later in the afternoon for the Mustang celebration. If they'll show something or just to celebrate the 55th birthday of the Mustang.

5 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Escape is being shown to the press this Thursday at The Henry Ford.

Where have you gotten that info? I can't find anything about it online. That's exciting to hear even though likely won't be revealed to public on Thursday if you say shown to press. Likely shown to press and be under embargo for some time. Or online streaming like the Explorer reveal. Either way, I'm excited. Just wondering where you got info.

1 hour ago, Jqa1824 said:

I sure hope they show off the Escape this week. It’s their second most important vehicle and is several years past due for a redo. 

I don't think it's the second most important vehicle.  I'd say Ranger, Explorer, Aviator, Expedition, Navigator, Transit, Edge, Nautilus and Mustang are far more important (all behind F series of course).   Volume doesn't equal profits.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

I don't think it's the second most important vehicle.  I'd say Ranger, Explorer, Aviator, Expedition, Navigator, Transit, Edge, Nautilus and Mustang are far more important (all behind F series of course).   Volume doesn't equal profits.

Ford said its one of its most important products coming out this year. 

They still need a product in the largest "car" segment in the overall marketplace. 

19 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Ford said its one of its most important products coming out this year.

They also said they're having trouble making money on Escape SEs which is the most popular model.   I think the new one with more room will do better but I also expect them to be decontented compared to the current one so they can make a decent profit at lower ATPs.

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

They also said they're having trouble making money on Escape SEs which is the most popular model.   I think the new one with more room will do better but I also expect them to be decontented compared to the current one so they can make a decent profit at lower ATPs.

Well I'm not sure who to blame there-apparently someone dropped the ball big time with packaging of products vs what the competition has. Its pretty bad when a lower trim model SE has more equipment in it then an Ti model did when it first came out. Seems like they got hit with mission creep with it. 

My Audi was broadsided Friday and I got an Rav4 as rental today.  What a piece of shit compared to our Escape.  Soft handling, lack of pick up and unengaged driving.  Cant understand why the RAV is so popular.  Must be cost.  It does have very annoying safety features though that keep telling me when I cross a line.

45 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Well I'm not sure who to blame there-apparently someone dropped the ball big time with packaging of products vs what the competition has. Its pretty bad when a lower trim model SE has more equipment in it then an Ti model did when it first came out. Seems like they got hit with mission creep with it. 

Mulally's mission back around 2013-2014 seemed to be moving towards premium (titanium) models with much higher than average ATPs.  I think it worked for awhile but at some point I think premium buyers started moving more to utilities plus you had more competition in midsized sedans and small utilities.  So what was left were people shopping mostly on price and that's where Ford got hosed having to put more cash on the hood of SEs to stay price competitive but having a higher cost basis.  

So Maverick becomes the premium model without much direct competition and they can engineer Escape to a lower price point to compete better with Rav4, CRV, etc.   That's just a guess on my part.

• Like 1

Where did Ford say that it was losing money on the SE Escapes? There are some supply issues with the 1.5L engines but it has nothing to do with content/cost of the vehicle, they can just use those engines elsewhere and make more money on the unit they are going in, but they aren't losing money on the Escape units with them. Also the Escape actually has less content than an Equinox, Rogue, CR-V or Rav4 at a similar price point.

The other thing I've noticed is that I could find some used SE's near me, that were loaded with almost as many options as my Titanium level.  Including the 2.0EB.  When you can do that, why pay for a Ti?  They need more level differentiation.

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

The other thing I've noticed is that I could find some used SE's near me, that were loaded with almost as many options as my Titanium level.  Including the 2.0EB.  When you can do that, why pay for a Ti?  They need more level differentiation.

They did that starting in 2018 I think-you can only get the 2.0L Ecoboost in the Ti now. Like I said my Wife's Escape SE actually has more to it outside of wheels vs my parents 2013 Ti

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Also the Escape actually has less content than an Equinox, Rogue, CR-V or Rav4 at a similar price point.

Good point-almost $2500 worth-but much of this with be taken care of with the next gen with Copilot360

https://www.truedelta.com/Ford-Escape-vs-Toyota-RAV4-price-comparison,82-273,2018&pc=6733407&price_feature=1&personal_feature=#features

18 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

Where have you gotten that info? I can't find anything about it online. That's exciting to hear even though likely won't be revealed to public on Thursday if you say shown to press. Likely shown to press and be under embargo for some time. Or online streaming like the Explorer reveal. Either way, I'm excited. Just wondering where you got info.

I got my sources :) . Its just for press, but since the reveal is outside, get your drones out!

Willing to bet photos will leak though. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

I got my sources :) . Its just for press, but since the reveal is outside, get your drones out!

Willing to bet photos will leak though. 

That's an odd way to promote a vehicle seeing that the public won't see it. Unless it's for press to get photos and info under embargo and then release it on the day or so the Corsair is unveiled in NYAS (if it's shown there). I too will expect leaks. We already know most of what it will have as well as general idea of what it will look like anyway.

5 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

That's an odd way to promote a vehicle seeing that the public won't see it. Unless it's for press to get photos and info under embargo and then release it on the day or so the Corsair is unveiled in NYAS (if it's shown there). I too will expect leaks. We already know most of what it will have as well as general idea of what it will look like anyway.

It's like in the "old" days, they reveal to press in a ride and drive event then it would hit the news stands under "first drive" ect. We are so used to long drawn out reveals that this seems odd but since its about to hit the streets pretty soon, they might just be doing it this way (reveal with first test drives)

BTW I used to drool waiting for the latest Car and Driver and Motor Trends back in the 80's, as that was the only way to get info then! Then I discovered Automotive News at my universality library and being a weekly trade paper, I was in heaven! I even subscribed back then (mid 80's) for a $100 yearly subscription I was so "addicted" to reading Ford news and leaks. Another avenue I had was hanging at the local Ford and L-M dealer and around June/July, if I was lucky, they would have the upcoming model guide books out and I would causally open it up and soak it all up! lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spudz64 said:

It's like in the "old" days, they reveal to press in a ride and drive event then it would hit the news stands under "first drive" ect. We are so used to long drawn out reveals that this seems odd but since its about to hit the streets pretty soon, they might just be doing it this way (reveal with first test drives)

BTW I used to drool waiting for the latest Car and Driver and Motor Trends back in the 80's, as that was the only way to get info then! Then I discovered Automotive News at my universality library and being a weekly trade paper, I was in heaven! I even subscribed back then (mid 80's) for a $100 yearly subscription I was so "addicted" to reading Ford news and leaks. Another avenue I had was hanging at the local Ford and L-M dealer and around June/July, if I was lucky, they would have the upcoming model guide books out and I would causally open it up and soak it all up! lol

I didn't know about 'first drive' days you mentioned but I do know they had the auto shows for many decades. I was a teenager during the 1990s and reading those magazines you mentioned was the only way to learn about what was new and coming, what were presented at auto shows, and the spy photos of test cars. What's interesting is that by the time the articles were published and magazines arrived to the mailboxes, the exciting news of a particular car being revealed at a show would have already been over a month old. Even then, I was still excited because TV didn't talk about it back then like some do now and I did not have access to the Internet where many articles were published online. Now with high speed Internet and social media, we can actually watch the live streaming of the auto shows! I suppose we have gotten so spoiled due to changing times and availability of technology to a point that it seems 'odd' to hear Ford doing 'first drive' only for press. It actually makes sense since they are actually wanting the Corsair to have more attention which is likely revealed at NYAS. Also they are both close to production to as you mentioned.

• Like 1

Auto Shanghai 2019 starts on April 16... So Kuga (and perhaps Corsair too) will probably have its press embargo lifted a few days before that. I'm sure the Kuga world debut will be in China with separate press events in Europe or US.

12 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

My guess is that Ford will publicly debut the Escape on April 2nd to match up with the Europe Go Further event the same day. 

The Kuga (Escape) debut is confirmed for April 2 in Europe. Via Ford´s Instagram/Twiter accounts.

Edited by falconlover 1