New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

requa

Incoming Message Shows Wrong Name (Mine)

I'm driving a 2018 Fusion Sport with Sync (non-touchscreen), paired with my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone. When my wife sends me a text message, the display shows it as coming from me. It actually shows my full name with my name as Daniel, instead of as Dan, as it appears in any entries I have for myself in Contacts. on my phone, I checked my wife's entry in Contacts and it does not show my name anywhere; I searched Contacts by searching for the last four digits of my wife's phone number, and it only shows the entry for her name. I already deleted the phonebook in my car and downloaded it again to remove any stray or duplicate entries. I don't see anything like this occurring when anyone else messages me. What am I missing here? Where else would this be stored? Could it be coming from our service provider (Xfinity shared plan)?

Maybe it has contacts from your wife’s phone?  Try deleting and redownloading the addres book.

That sounds reasonable. I don't think her phone ever got paired with my car, but I'll check it out and maybe delete all devices and phone books and start over. Thanks

Now I'm really stumped. I did find my wife's phone in the paired devices in my car and removed it. I looked in the phone book in my Sync system and found an entry with my name as DANIEL SMITH (OK, not really my last name). I deleted that entry and still had an entry for Dan Smith (still not my real last name). Sync warned me that the deleted entry might reappear since my phone is set to auto download. Sure enough, the next time I started my car, I checked and saw that the DANIEL entry was there again. I have searched Contacts on my phone and do not have any entries containing Daniel at all -- just Dan. I can only conclude that this is a phone issue rather than a Sync issue, but where would it be coming from in my phone if it's not in my Contacts list there? Next stop: a Samsung forum to see if anyone else there has seen this.

5 minutes ago, requa said:

Now I'm really stumped. I did find my wife's phone in the paired devices in my car and removed it. I looked in the phone book in my Sync system and found an entry with my name as DANIEL SMITH (OK, not really my last name). I deleted that entry and still had an entry for Dan Smith (still not my real last name). Sync warned me that the deleted entry might reappear since my phone is set to auto download. Sure enough, the next time I started my car, I checked and saw that the DANIEL entry was there again. I have searched Contacts on my phone and do not have any entries containing Daniel at all -- just Dan. I can only conclude that this is a phone issue rather than a Sync issue, but where would it be coming from in my phone if it's not in my Contacts list there? Next stop: a Samsung forum to see if anyone else there has seen this.

Is it only your entry that's different?   Might be pulling that info from your phone profile rather than contacts.

I'm not sure where else in my phone profile this information might be stored, especially since it involved another person's phone number. Can you clarify what you're thinking of here?

When I set up my iphone it gave me a nickname that’s not in my address book and it uses that instead of my name.  I don’t know if your phone has that -I was just trying to find an explanation.

I appreciate the suggestion. I don't think it applies in this case, though. My car identifies my phone as Galaxy S9 (or possibly Dan's Galaxy S9) with no mention of "Daniel" or my last name. I do think this is more of a phone issue than a car issue now, since it keeps downloading the information from somewhere. At least this only involves the one number and I know what it means when the car says I'm texting myself.

It may not be the phone itself, but the name your carrier(T-Mobile, Verizon, etc) has on the contract. If your name is on the contract, even your wife's phone may show your name.

3 hours ago, requa said:

I appreciate the suggestion. I don't think it applies in this case, though. My car identifies my phone as Galaxy S9 (or possibly Dan's Galaxy S9) with no mention of "Daniel" or my last name. I do think this is more of a phone issue than a car issue now, since it keeps downloading the information from somewhere. At least this only involves the one number and I know what it means when the car says I'm texting myself.

Hi requa.  Try this: I believe you are correct and it is a "phone Issue".  Or phone carrier issue, as Trailhiker mentioned/cell phone nickname issue as akirby mentioned.

Through your cell phone service carrier account, you can choose the cell name/identifier which shows on caller ID. I think that may be the issue here. At some point, It seems your cell phone may have been assigned that unwanted identifier. That is why it keeps popping up no matter what changes you make in your phone directory.

Out of curiosity, if you call a landline, what name shows up on the caller ID? Is it the same name you are trying to get rid of? If it is, then you need to change the name/"nickname" that is assigned to your phone. I would recommend accessing your carrier account, finding the settings for your phone identifier name, changing it to what you wish and see if that clears up the issue. Or call your cell phone carrier and ask them to change your cell phone identifier name, or ask them how you can do it.

See if that helps and let us know.  Good luck.

Hi requa.  Meant to add: I set my carrier name some years ago and forget how I did it. If I have a chance, I will go into my cell carrier/account settings, see if I can remember how to navigate the menu and post back with what I find, in case it may help you.

In the meantime, call a landline and let us know what name comes up on the caller ID.

Good luck.

Hi requa.  Okay, had time to go into my cell carrier account and here is what I found, so give it a try if you'd like (hopefully the procedure is similar for your carrier): Open your cell carrier account > Go to the menu > Click on "Devices" > Find your device and click on "Manage" > Scroll down and click on "Device Nickname" > Follow instructions to change your Device Nickname.

I realize this may not be the cause of your issue and/or your carrier may have a different process to perform this change, but I figure it is worth a try at this point.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

I confirmed that my cell carrier (Xfinity Mobile) shows each of our phones with our first name as the nickname, correctly linked to the proper line, and that it shows me as "Dan" rather than "Daniel." I have not made it to a land line phone yet and I assume testing this theory would actually require my wife's phone to call the land line, not mine. I think the suggestion more generally about the cell carrier records being involved makes the most sense, as that would explain connecting my full legal name, as it appears in the account and credit card rather than in the nicknames, with both lines. Oddly, I'm pretty sure this is a new phenomenon, as I did not notice it until recently and my wife has been my most recent message sender for the year I've had the car. This makes me wonder if my phone's recent upgrade from Oreo to Pie is somehow involved. I feel like Alice.

I finally tracked it down, with a little help from someone on a Samsung board. I was in the Samsung+ app on my phone and took a look at my profile. This screen showed my name as Dan, but when I tapped my name the next screen showed it as Daniel. Tapping My Information took me to a screen that showed my name (as Daniel) along with both my phone number and my wife's I edited that screen and removed my wife's phone number, then pulled up the phone book in my car. I still have the Daniel entry with only the single phone number showing. My wife texted me and the car displayed her name. I guess Ford Sync for some reason downloaded my Samsung profile along with my Contacts. I thought I should update in both boards in case anyone else runs into this in the future. Thanks to all who offered suggestions and kept me pursuing this.

Dan

Having dealt with software issues with Samsung, with relation to Sync, I am not surprised. They also are the worst to deal with with regards to trying to resolve said issues for customers. This is a Samsung/carrier issue as the only information that Sync has access to is through the phone.   

4 hours ago, requa said:

I finally tracked it down, with a little help from someone on a Samsung board. I was in the Samsung+ app on my phone and took a look at my profile. This screen showed my name as Dan, but when I tapped my name the next screen showed it as Daniel. Tapping My Information took me to a screen that showed my name (as Daniel) along with both my phone number and my wife's I edited that screen and removed my wife's phone number, then pulled up the phone book in my car. I still have the Daniel entry with only the single phone number showing. My wife texted me and the car displayed her name. I guess Ford Sync for some reason downloaded my Samsung profile along with my Contacts. I thought I should update in both boards in case anyone else runs into this in the future. Thanks to all who offered suggestions and kept me pursuing this.

Dan

Hi Dan.  Glad you were able to find a solution and thanks for posting back.

Good luck.