Focus ST

A real shame you won't get this in the US. 

Looks good, if pretty subtle. One thing, the auto is a 7-speed. Just how many autos do Ford have, as I thought the lower versions of the new Focus had an 8-speed auto!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-ford-focus-st-packs-276bhp?fbclid=IwAR3NofLsv6dcgeZScjqWJ2IaaXrfFdPSml_1bai-xNSYtGVzvrVZR2l52pM

fordfocusst_2019_5.jpg?itok=MXFh2i8q[/img]

As nice as the new one is, I'm not sure the Focus name has much equity in it after the last gen's issues (in the US). The only thing the last gen had going for it were the ST and the RS.

I actually think Ford did the right thing getting rid of it.  A company only has so many resources and its smarter to pick your battles instead of trying to be in every segment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

As nice as the new one is, I'm not sure the Focus name has much equity in it after the last gen's issues (in the US). The only thing the last gen had going for it were the ST and the RS.

I actually think Ford did the right thing getting rid of it.  A company only has so many resources and its smarter to pick your battles instead of trying to be in every segment.

The puckered face of the new model would not have helped matters in the US. Sure, the ST and RS added credit to the name, but selling enough of the rest of the line at a profit was always an issue. Now the plant is making Rangers, and I think they will sell more in the $30K to $40K range than the Focus ever could. There is too much competition in the reduced compact segment at a competitive price, and too many options for only a bit more in other segments.

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

So, wishful thinking says, "let's make it the Ford 230 ST and not have a Focus badge on it at all and bring it over in limited amounts."  

Shame there is no "sporty or fast" vibe from the new Fiesta and Focus design language to go with the great guts of these two. And the 7 speed is a torque converter and only in the 2.3 EcoBoost, the diesel spec sheet is showing the 6 speed manual only.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing this engine show up in an Escape ST with the 8 speed auto 

Previously I thought the 2.3 was being dropped from FWD offerings but seeing the new Focus ST get this has me thinking the new Corsair will offer this combo too! (like the MKC offered the 2.3)

...aaaaand once again, the Ford's USA performance customers get to be pissed about offerings that are offered elsewhere, but not in the company's home country.

Hey, I get all the math involved, and even kinda-sorta agree with the large "car phaseout"...though I still think that a couple of Focus Active models would have served as easy Subaru competitors.

Still, this feeling is as maddening as it is familiar; I'm back to wondering why we can't have the Sierra Cosworth all over again....

55 minutes ago, ZanatWork said:

...aaaaand once again, the Ford's USA performance customers get to be pissed about offerings that are offered elsewhere, but not in the company's home country.

What about the others that are available here and not in Europe:

Mustang GT350, GT500

F150 Raptor

Edge ST, Explorer ST

Regarding the Focus Active, I thought that was the plan. Import from China until North America production can come on line. I know that trade issues caused that plan to be scrapped, but it seems like it was given up very quickly.

I still think Ford needs an affordable sedan or (preferably) hatchback. Not everyone wants to spend money on an all wheel drive CUV.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dmpaul said:

Regarding the Focus Active, I thought that was the plan. Import from China until North America production can come on line. I know that trade issues caused that plan to be scrapped, but it seems like it was given up very quickly.

Actually another rumor was that it did terribly in focus groups with US Buyers. I think the lack of an AWD option was the deal breaker. It was nothing more then a FWD Station Wagon with cladding on it and a tiny lift. 

I can say this, if Ford does make an Escape ST with the 2.3 and AWD, they better not put any form of DCT in it.  Too many people have been burned by the DCT in the Focus.  Won't matter what Ford says, people will either shy away, or RUN away from a DCT in a  Ford now.

With the Joint Venture 8/9 Speed, I see no reason Ford wouldn't put that in all flavors of the Escape.  Europe can keep their DCT if they want it.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:04 AM, Trailhiker said:

The puckered face of the new model would not have helped matters in the US. Sure, the ST and RS added credit to the name, but selling enough of the rest of the line at a profit was always an issue. Now the plant is making Rangers, and I think they will sell more in the $30K to $40K range than the Focus ever could. There is too much competition in the reduced compact segment at a competitive price, and too many options for only a bit more in other segments.

I've heard that all before.  In five to ten years they'll be scrambling to bring back their passenger car line. Again.  Fashions change and today's SUV or crossover is going to be tomorrow's mom van or station wagon.

Edited by Roland

16 minutes ago, Roland said:

I've heard that all before.  In five to ten years they'll be scrambling to bring back their passenger car line. Again.  Fashions change and today's SUV or crossover is going to be tomorrow's mom van or station wagon.

Possibly but until that time automaker will cash in on the higher prices commanded by Utilities, the billion extra made with Utilities will more than make up for not carrying cars through to then. Nothing could be more breath taking than the change over at GM, Killing four car plants at once and embracing Utilities.....the change is being driven by buyers wanting Utilities and trucks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Roland said:

Gen Z prefers Sedans. Some of that could be that they are cheaper vs used SUV's but studies show they do like cars vs SUV's

https://thenewswheel.com/generation-z-prefers-more-outfitted-used-vehicles-to-cheaper-new-ones/ 

https://jalopnik.com/nissan-thinks-the-kids-will-make-sedans-cool-again-some-1829307017

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Possibly but until that time automaker will cash in on the higher prices commanded by Utilities, the billion extra made with Utilities will more than make up for not carrying cars through to then. Nothing could be more breath taking than the change over at GM, Killing four car plants at once and embracing Utilities.....the change is being driven by buyers wanting Utilities and trucks.

Same short sighted blunder as before.  Bleeding market share to focus on the cash cows.  Last time around Toyota, Honda, and Nissan ate up ten points of their market share before they got the ship righted. 

What they found out the last time around was that abandoning segments takes them off people's shopping list.  When a kid has to buy a Hyundai or Honda starting out he may never bother going to the Ford store when he decides it's time to buy one of those cash cows.  When domestic manufacturers lose customers to these brands they are very difficult to bring back.  Ford is throwing away customers that it may never get back.

• Like 2

Back on the Focus ST,

Interestingly enough the auto is the same 8 speed as used in non ST models but because second and third gear are so close together, and because the engine makes so much torque, 2 nd gear was useless so they just skip 2nd and go straight to 3rd, essentially making an 8 speed auto a 7 speeder.

10 hours ago, Roland said:

Same short sighted blunder as before.  Bleeding market share to focus on the cash cows.  Last time around Toyota, Honda, and Nissan ate up ten points of their market share before they got the ship righted. 

What they found out the last time around was that abandoning segments takes them off people's shopping list.  When a kid has to buy a Hyundai or Honda starting out he may never bother going to the Ford store when he decides it's time to buy one of those cash cows.  When domestic manufacturers lose customers to these brands they are very difficult to bring back.  Ford is throwing away customers that it may never get back.

Apples and oranges.  Back then the alternatives were mid to large trucks and suvs.   They're not abandoning vehicles - they're replacing them with new models that sell better and at higher margin.   And these will attract younger buyers with the smaller lower priced utilities just like Jeep.

I think brand loyalty is a thing of the past with younger buyers.  If you make great products you'll get conquests from other brands.   The key to keeping those customers is better quality and better customer service and Ford is still struggling with both.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 8:44 AM, akirby said:

Mustang GT350, GT500

F150 Raptor

Edge ST, Explorer ST

Oh, I'm grateful for what we have...but this is a familiar annoyance, even if it's not as bad as the old days of Cosworth Fords overseas while ford kept trying to re-invent the Fairmont.

Living near Seattle as I do, having a Ford hot hatch to deal with the traffic/parking issues there would be ideal.  Well, that, and my now-dashed hopes that the Focus Active was going to bring a real WRX competitor.

I'm still hopeful that the "whitespace" vehicles have a good surprise or two ahead.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:44 AM, akirby said:

Mustang GT350, GT500

F150 Raptor

Edge ST, Explorer ST

Part of it is that you have to spend $40-45k+ to get a ford performance vehicle. At least before you could get a focus ST for 25k. That’s far more attainable for most people, especially younger buyers.