New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Bob Rosadini

Ford Otosan-Commercial Vehicles

I think I posted this in a VW/Ford alliance thread, but it should be mentioned here also that VW has cancelled its Traton heavy truck IPO offering because of a perceived slowdown in financial markets and other factors.  I also read that VW is facing another round of lawsuits regarding the dieselgate scandal.  Ironically California is using VW monetary awards to make alternative energy trucks like this possible. Scroll down for the video.  Ford thanks you VW!!!

Roush CleanTech: Near-zero autogas F-750 offers cheaper & more capable solution than electric | Medium Duty Work Truck Info

37 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

I think I posted this in a VW/Ford alliance thread, but it should be mentioned here also that VW has cancelled its Traton heavy truck IPO offering because of a perceived slowdown in financial markets and other factors.  I also read that VW is facing another round of lawsuits regarding the dieselgate scandal.  Ironically California is using VW monetary awards to make alternative energy trucks like this possible. Scroll down for the video.  Ford thanks you VW!!!

Roush CleanTech: Near-zero autogas F-750 offers cheaper & more capable solution than electric | Medium Duty Work Truck Info

Looks like Roush is extending their school bus propane 6.8 into the F-650 for 8 months or so.      

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Looks like Roush is extending their school bus propane 6.8 into the F-650 for 8 months or so.      

Wonder how the new 7.3L Essex V8 will respond to Roushs' experience...something tells me, they already have several examples being tested right now. Only a guess on my part, I have no inside intel...

17 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Wonder how the new 7.3L Essex V8 will respond to Roushs' experience...something tells me, they already have several examples being tested right now. Only a guess on my part, I have no inside intel...

YOU CAN BET ON THAT.  Didn't the engineer in  that introductory video when they announced it mention the propane option?

Ford can't get out of the medium duty segment without angering a ton of entities and customers.  If that anger trickles down to class 1 thru 5, they're all done. Engine-wise, Roush and Blue Bird bus would be ripping. Blue Bird is using Ford engines and transmissions in their propane, gas and CNG Vision buses.  Only the diesel Vision bus is not Ford, being a Cummins coupled with an Allison tranny.  I wonder why they haven't given the Ford diesel/trans. a chance, even if it means on an experimental basis.  

Edited by Joe771476

2 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Ford can't get out of the medium duty segment without angering a ton of entities and customers.  If that anger trickles down to class 1 thru 5, they're all done. Engine-wise, Roush and Blue Bird bus would be ripping. Blue Bird is using Ford engines and transmissions in their propane, gas and CNG Vision buses.  Only the diesel Vision bus is not Ford, being a Cummins coupled with an Allison tranny.  I wonder why they haven't given the Ford diesel/trans. a chance, even if it means on an experimental basis.  

Joe are those Vision buses the same size-that is the Ford power train and the  Cummins/Allison combos are in the same GVW bus?  Assuming that is the case, IMO just a matter of no confidence in the 6.7 Power Stroke.  

Yes Bob if you go to the Blue Bird site, it appears it's the same number of passengers.  I mean they have buses with varying amounts of passenger capacity, but I'm quite sure even the largest/longest bus can be equipped with any of the 4 engine types. 

School districts that operate diesel buses probably already have a fleet of Cummins/Allison buses so it makes sense to offer diesel that way if you are Blue Bird.

Similarly, school districts that buys propane or gasoline or CNG buses probably already have a fleet of Ford engined buses so it makes sense to offer it that way.

I wouldn't necessarily assume Blue Bird has anything against Ford 6.7 Powerstroke. School buses last a long time, way longer than the typical 12 years for transit buses. So school districts are pretty locked in on what fuel system they must buy and if they happen to be a diesel district, they probably have strong preference for Cummins/Allison to keep maintenance as simple as possible.

Just to put it in some perspective... Southern California banned diesel about 20 years ago. Everyone started buying CNG or gasoline after that. We just got rid of the last diesel transit buses last year but LAUSD still have roughly 60/40 split in favor of diesel. Some of those buses are 40 years old and in excellent shape - they only run twice a day and maybe 30 miles round trip. It will take a long time to cycle out the remaining diesel buses. Now imagine another area where there are no restriction on new diesel buses... why would a school district that need to replace 1 bus out of a fleet of 40 (so essentially 1 bus a year) bother with anything other than Cummins/Allison that is common to the rest of the fleet?

Edited by bzcat