"Rolling road" at Flat Rock plant

Zooks527

Good morning.

Following a suggestion here on the site, I looked up the National Geographic documentary on Mustang production from a few years ago.  Really glad for the suggestion, it was a fascinating show to watch.

On thing caught my attention.  About 5 minutes before the end, they show a car being driven through the plant as the narrator says "Then they drive the car onto what they call the rolling road, to check the output of the engine."  The car drives onto a floor mounted dynamometer and there are a few closeup shots of rear wheels spinning on the roller.

Are they really doing a power output check at this stage (which strikes me as odd on an engine with so little run time), or are they doing something more in a QC vein, such as testing that all the gears engage appropriately?  Or is there something else that I have missed completely, and this is a random test of some cars as opposed to something done to every one?

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

This is NOT a full blown, max HP/torque dyno run !  It primary purpose is to check for powertrain proper "functionality", including leaks.

They do a WOT test to make sure the power curve is what it's supposed to be, but yes the main purpose is to test for functionality of the powertrain and braking system. 

5 hours ago, O.L. said:

That's great to know that it has some sort of check up once in a while on the line to make sure that everything's allright.

That's not a once and a while thing, that's every car as long as it's not snowing. There's contingency in place for inclement weather I'm just not sure of what that is. 

14 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's not a once and a while thing, that's every car as long as it's not snowing. There's contingency in place for inclement weather I'm just not sure of what that is. 

It occurs to me that the folks at the plant are having a lot more fun with my car than I am having sitting here waiting for it.  ?.

From the looks of things, I appear to be caught up in the steering wheel issue.  Still, as it's coming with summer performance tires, it's probably for the best that I don't have it sitting around tempting me to drive it with wholly inappropriate tires for our current New England conditions.