Explorer pricing announced

3 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

The Aviator was released first. I expect the build and price site up soon for the Explorer now that they have confirmed pricing.

The build and price confirmed the pricing for Aviator. I don't know why it's taking so long for the Explorer but it's not helping keeping the hype built up. 

An aviator reserve is cheaper than the explorer platinum. The reserve comes pretty well equipped at around $57k. You can even add the elements package to get heated and ventilated first and second row seats and a heated steering wheel and you are still under $60k. I can’t see myself ever picking the explorer platinum over the aviator reserve.

• Like 2

Ford probably don't expect to sell that many Platinum. Comparing it to Aviator Reserve kind of prove the point I think... Platinum is the kitchen sink version for Ford and it is almost $20k cheaper than Black Label... so basically it slots in between Reserve and Black Label.

Explorer ST/Aviator Reserve $56k --> Explorer Platinum $59k --> Aviator Black Label $78k

On the hybrid side, Ford is probably leaving some money on the table... there is probably room for Explorer Platinum HEV for around $60k

Explore Limited HEV $53k --> Aviator GT PHEV $69k --> Aviator GT Black Label PHEV $88k

9 hours ago, bzcat said:

Ford probably don't expect to sell that many Platinum. Comparing it to Aviator Reserve kind of prove the point I think... Platinum is the kitchen sink version for Ford and it is almost $20k cheaper than Black Label... so basically it slots in between Reserve and Black Label.

Explorer ST/Aviator Reserve $56k --> Explorer Platinum $59k --> Aviator Black Label $78k

On the hybrid side, Ford is probably leaving some money on the table... there is probably room for Explorer Platinum HEV for around $60k

Explore Limited HEV $53k --> Aviator GT PHEV $69k --> Aviator GT Black Label PHEV $88k

The Explorer Platinum is a very low volume model appealing to the specific few that have to have the top-of-the-line and can afford it. A lot of these price increases have to be improving Ford's profit margin as the increases look to be a lot more than just for additional content, etc. Ford will maximize their profit margin but probably do little if anything the increase it at the dealership level. 

Correct me if i'm wrong here but wasn't the Platinum introduced as a way for Ford to fill a segment without doing an Aviator?

Maybe it has served its purpose and now looks a little redundant with Aviator there, but hope buyers  prove me wrong on that..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Platinum Explorers serve the purpose of small and medium sized business owners who can afford much more expensive vehicles however prefer to have a daily driver that employees and vendors see from a mass market brand. It’s the reason why High end Tahoe’s and Expeditions are also popular with certain groups. 

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Correct me if i'm wrong here but wasn't the Platinum introduced as a way for Ford to fill a segment without doing an Aviator?

Maybe it has served its purpose and now looks a little redundant with Aviator there, but hope buyers  prove me wrong on that..

As the owner of a 2017 Platinum Explorer I would go with this answer.  Assuming the EV range is adequate, it will be replaced with the Aviator GT the only question being Reserve II or Black Label.  Before the current Explorer we had a 2013 Limited.  Some people want both the luxury and performance.  That is why the Aviator should be a big hit.  The next big thing that people will want is a PHEV if not a BEV.  If Ford is smart they will add a PHEV to all their lines - with a real EV side - 30+ mile range and adequate performance in EV only.

• Like 1

I wonder if Ford is thinking about a more off road version of this. Now that it's on a decent rwd platform they could create something to compete a little better with the Grand Cherokee Overland.  I little lift, better tires, some butch elements?  Kind of what they did with the Expedition Off Road pkg.

1 minute ago, buddysystem said:

I wonder if Ford is thinking about a more off road version of this. Now that it's on a decent rwd platform they could create something to compete a little better with the Grand Cherokee Overland.  I little lift, better tires, some butch elements?  Kind of what they did with the Expedition Off Road pkg.

Explorer Raptor?   Might be a little redundant with the 4 door bronco.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:32 AM, akirby said:

Explorer Raptor?   Might be a little redundant with the 4 door bronco.

I don't think Raptor is the right answer. It's too extreme for Explorer. Bronco Raptor seems more on brand than Explorer Raptor... that is for sure.

A more offroad capable trim level or option package for Explorer is totally something Ford should look into.  For example, a FX4 style package that you can add to XLT and Limited with suspension lift and skid plates; or a King Ranch alternative to Limited that has truck tires instead of passenger car tires. Explorer used truck trim levels instead of car trim levels (e.g. XLT instead of SE, Limited instead of Titanium etc.) so it should have a FX4 option.

Edited by bzcat

38 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I don't think Raptor is the right answer. It's too extreme for Explorer. Bronco Raptor seems more on brand than Explorer Raptor... that is for sure.

A more offroad capable trim level or option package for Explorer is totally something Ford should look into.  For example, a FX4 style package that you can add to XLT and Limited with suspension lift and skid plates; or a King Ranch alternative to Limited that has truck tires instead of passenger car tires. Explorer used truck trim levels instead of car trim levels (e.g. XLT instead of SE, Limited instead of Titanium etc.) so it should have a FX4 option.

I can go along with that although FX4 isn't anything special.

1 hour ago, SoonerLS said:

I haven't looked at the 13th Gen trucks, but the 12th Gen FX4s got nicer lights, skid plates, and a few other things that "normal" 4x4s didn't get (unless you added the Off Road package).

Electronic locking axle, floor liners, skid plates, hill descent control, off road front shocks and a decal for $950.

I just mean it’s nothing like a Raptor, it’s just a mild upgrade.