Hi-Po 2.3 Ecoboost for the '20MY Mustang?

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/14/ford-may-offer-third-engine-in-mustang

More questions than answers in there, for me. Why, for instance, is the 5.0 listed twice. Once as 435hp (which is the '15-'17 rating) and a second 5.0 with TIVCT (which the 5.0 has ALWAYS had) with TBD for the HP......

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see. Whilst I appreciate it's a lot easier to offer a hi-po version of an existing engine, I really wish they still offered a V6....the 3.0 would be great if offered at 400hp, especially if the V8 adopted the Bullitt's 480hp tune. Perhaps for S650......

IIRC, the 2.3L is an "open deck" design because it is "die" cast (faster/cheaper than sand/foam cores).  Therefore, it is not as strong.  Livernois designed/built an "insert" (?) that fills the gap between the cylinder wall and the water jacket at the top of the block making it look like a close deck (very tricky because the tolerances between the cylinder wall on the water jacket are not very tightly controlled).  The result is a much stronger block, capable of MUCH higher turbo pressures.

Of course the old 2.3L Pinto/Lima engine (also used in the Thunderbird turbo coupe) could withstand a lot more than stock pressure if you had the octane to prevent detonation.

8 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

IIRC, the 2.3L is an "open deck" design because it is "die" cast (faster/cheaper than sand/foam cores).  Therefore, it is not as strong.  Livernois designed/built an "insert" (?) that fills the gap between the cylinder wall and the water jacket at the top of the block making it look like a close deck (very tricky because the tolerances between the cylinder wall on the water jacket are not very tightly controlled).  The result is a much stronger block, capable of MUCH higher turbo pressures.

Of course the old 2.3L Pinto/Lima engine (also used in the Thunderbird turbo coupe) could withstand a lot more than stock pressure if you had the octane to prevent detonation.

Some tuners are offering "built" engines using the 2.0 block.  Apparently, it is a closed deck design and supposed to be stronger.

Yeah, I honestly don't think we'll see the hybrid until S650/'23MY.........although that's just my gut feel.

A "hi-po" Ecoboost would be a nice addition to the line-up. The Bullitt added 20hp to the GT, so a nice bump for an SE 4-cylinder wouldn't go amiss.

I do wonder though, as the next-gen seems a long off as a '23MY in 2022, will we see a light refresh for the '21/'22MY? We saw this with the last two years of the S197....the '13/'14 was a significant (exterior) refresh over the '11/'12, the later of which were first to feature the all new Coyote and 6 speed 'boxes.

As for that '23MY for the next gen, this was reported by Autoline mid last year.....their info was from Auto Forecast Solutions. Whilst Ford would obviously never confirm/deny, Autoline (and AFS) seem to be pretty accurate with their news, although I'd be interested to hear what those well informed members here think ?

http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?p=55633off (if