TFL Truck: Ranger vs Colorado

video is about a question from a listener who was comparing a ranger xlt supercrew 4x4 to a Colorado lt 4x4 as a daily driver and for light payload and light towing duties. The listener said he could get an extra $3000 off the Colorado. The guys picked the Colorado for seat comfort, they split on ride comfort, towing and payload were a wash since he was only doing light duty stuff. In the end they chose the Colorado. They preferred the Colorado’s looks but it sounded like the $3000 was the main deciding factor.

if price was really the deciding factor, I’d just wait until ford had some incentives on the ranger instead of buying a Colorado.

Edited by T-dubz

I'm currently in research mode for an upcoming pickup purchase. I haven't test driven anything yet.

On the surface, I like the Colorado. I can get it in the configuration I'm looking for (4x2, crewcab, 6' box) and I like the looks, inside and out. However, there are quite a few quality issues with it. The major issue is with the transmission. There are a lot of stories on line about transmission shudders at highway speeds and a lot of return visits to fix the problem. GMs first solution is a transmission flush but it starting to look like the issue is the torque converter. Its funny that the transmission is the GM version of the unit designed in conjunction with Ford.

I can't get the Ranger the way I want it so I'm not even going to look at it. I can't get the long box with the crewcab and in Canada they only come with the 4x4 drivetrain. So if I don't go with the Colorado I'll be going with another F-150.

34 minutes ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

Its funny that the transmission is the GM version of the unit designed in conjunction with Ford.

Only the FWD 6-speeds are a joint design, and GM led that effort. The Colorado's RWD transmissions, both 6 and 8 speed are pure GM. Only the RWD 10-speed that GM uses in things like Silvererra and Camaro is a shared design, and Ford led that effort. Ford's 6-speed RWD transmissions are either their own design (6R140) or a variant of the ZF 6HP (6R80).

11 hours ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

I can't get the Ranger the way I want it so I'm not even going to look at it. I can't get the long box with the crewcab and in Canada they only come with the 4x4 drivetrain. So if I don't go with the Colorado I'll be going with another F-150.

That is exactly what Ford is counting on....F150 is a great choice if Ranger does not come as you would want it to be equipped. 

11 hours ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

I'm currently in research mode for an upcoming pickup purchase. I haven't test driven anything yet.

On the surface, I like the Colorado. I can get it in the configuration I'm looking for (4x2, crewcab, 6' box) and I like the looks, inside and out. However, there are quite a few quality issues with it. The major issue is with the transmission. There are a lot of stories on line about transmission shudders at highway speeds and a lot of return visits to fix the problem. GMs first solution is a transmission flush but it starting to look like the issue is the torque converter. Its funny that the transmission is the GM version of the unit designed in conjunction with Ford.

F150 supercab 6.5' solves all the problems for me - enough room for adults in the back seat and plenty of cargo room for hauling plywood and lumber AND more driver and passenger room.  And I'm getting 22 mpg with the 3.5L ecobeast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

F150 supercab 6.5' solves all the problems for me - enough room for adults in the back seat and plenty of cargo room for hauling plywood and lumber AND more driver and passenger room.  And I'm getting 22 mpg with the 3.5L ecobeast.

I wonder what is stopping them from having a F-150 SuperCab with the 5.5' bed, which IS available in the $50K+ Raptor?

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I wonder what is stopping them from having a F-150 SuperCab with the 5.5' bed, which IS available in the $50K+ Raptor?

The only good reason I can see for a 5.5' bed is to keep down the overall length of the supercrew and have the same wheelbase for most supercrew and supercabs.

That's probably why there isn't much demand for supercabs with a 5.5' bed.

I've had a 2015 Colorado Z71 for four years which I'm now trading in on a Ranger (actually pick up the Ranger today).  I have 38,000 miles on it and absolutely no complaints with the Colorado.  It is a great truck and the best truck I've ever had (and I've had a bunch including 2 F-150s, 4 Rangers, Silverado, and 2 Colorados).  No problem at all with the transmission.  It was just time to trade (I trade usually every 3 years), but I would not hesitate to buy another Colorado if the price were right.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

No, it's an 8 speed hydromatic. Ford had nothing to do with it. The half tons have the same problem. At one time we couldn't get the special Mobil 1 atf fluid for it because of the demand.

4 hours ago, Anthony said:

Or even quicker, wait till Summer when there's a full stock of Rangers.

savings will come more in the way of Rebates from the manufacturer than discounts off MSRP...margins between Inv and MSRP max out at $2000....not exactly a lot  of wiggle room.

• Like 1

I am surprised at the lukewarm reviews - Ranger is the shinny new kid on the block and according to what we see in the media, it does not stand above the crowd, just slots right in with the rest of the pack.  Personally it would be my choice, but they are saying a few bucks sways it in any direction you might want to go - that is disappointing.  

I live in the land of Trucks and SUVs - and Tacoma is king here in the mid-sized class. I keep looking, but I have yet to see a Ranger on the road, that is very surprising to me. 

5 hours ago, hared said:

I've had a 2015 Colorado Z71 for four years which I'm now trading in on a Ranger (actually pick up the Ranger today).  I have 38,000 miles on it and absolutely no complaints with the Colorado.  It is a great truck and the best truck I've ever had (and I've had a bunch including 2 F-150s, 4 Rangers, Silverado, and 2 Colorados).  No problem at all with the transmission.  It was just time to trade (I trade usually every 3 years), but I would not hesitate to buy another Colorado if the price were right.

It seems to be a problem with the 8 speed units (8L45) that Chevy started using in the Colorado/Canyon in the 2017 model year.

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

... trucks that are, in most respects, pretty equal... 

Apparently, that is my disappointment, we waited all this time for:  "... eh, it's pretty equal to everything else" 

Guess I was expecting more from the new kid...not sure what that makes me, hopeful or foolish.

Well we know one thing for sure:  You ain't going to get 3k more for equal.

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

TBF there's only 3000-4000 on the road nationwide right now 

Nearly every vehicle in Colorado is a; Truck, SUV, Jeep, or some model of Subaru.  I thought Ford would have gone after this target rich market early.

Edited by Kev-Mo

Rangers will take off when Ford A) starts advertising, and B) has some semblance of a lease program...whilst residuals are strong, the money factor SUCKS and thus the lease payments are NOT competitive...and irony, just saw a Toyota lease add with $999 down and a sub $300 a month payment. And my guess is, that's shots fired AT the ranger introduction....game on.

38 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Apparently, that is my disappointment, we waited all this time for:  "... eh, it's pretty equal to everything else" 

Guess I was expecting more from the new kid...not sure what that makes me, hopeful or foolish.

Well we know one thing for sure:  You ain't going to get 3k more for equal.

I could supply a list of differences, but they are all under the skin...the Ranger is most significantly a STRONGER Truck...the Colorado 4x4, if you go off roading, requires removal ( for approach angles,) of the front air deflector, but they warn it has to be re-installed for road usage ( potential overheating, gas mileage issues )...the front suspension A arms are forged on the ranger, stamped on the Colorado,,,the chassis is fully boxed in the Ranger...the bumpers are steel to deal with abuse better...the list is long, but a majority of the diffs are under the skin...the tow hitch, the mounts for the cabin to chassis....yadda yadda, yadda...THSES are things Ford should point out in their info....

Edited by Deanh