Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
fordtech1

F150 recall, plus a few others

Recommended Posts

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2019/02/13/ford-pickup-truck-recall-downshifting-without-warning/39051297/

only one I’m mad about is the door latch recall. Ford should be ashamed about the amount of door latches they have replaced or fixed for several years now. Damn what gives? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the software updates, this is the exact reason Ford needs embedded modems in their vehicles, these software updates could be pushed and not have to issue a recall as they would be taken care of remotely. It’s a huge advantage Tesla/GM has in terms of updating their vehicles and it dramatically lowers the cost of updating and increases customer satisfaction as things can be fixed remotely even if the customer doesn’t know it happens. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Looking at the software updates, this is the exact reason Ford needs embedded modems in their vehicles, these software updates could be pushed and not have to issue a recall as they would be taken care of remotely. It’s a huge advantage Tesla/GM has in terms of updating their vehicles and it dramatically lowers the cost of updating and increases customer satisfaction as things can be fixed remotely even if the customer doesn’t know it happens. 

 

If you have a newer one you can connect to your home WiFi. I have my Fusion connected to mine even though it's never managed to successfully update itself once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If you have a newer one you can connect to your home WiFi. I have my Fusion connected to mine even though it's never managed to successfully update itself once. 

That only updates sync 3 not the PCM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ute said:

what is the difference between the '10 6 speed and the 11's ?  thought they were the same ?

'11 saw a change in computer architecture, so the '09-'10 6R80 has different electronics. IIRC, the '09-'10 had a TCM integrated into the transmission, whereas the '11-'14 (and probably the '15+) have a single PCM that controls both the engine and transmission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's just as dumb 

It's not dumb, it's security. If you don't make the controls for the driving systems available through the infotainment system, it can't be hacked through the infotainment system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Looking at the software updates, this is the exact reason Ford needs embedded modems in their vehicles, these software updates could be pushed and not have to issue a recall as they would be taken care of remotely. It’s a huge advantage Tesla/GM has in terms of updating their vehicles and it dramatically lowers the cost of updating and increases customer satisfaction as things can be fixed remotely even if the customer doesn’t know it happens. 

 

Speaking as a nearly 30 year IT professional who did a lot of IT security, pushing automatic updates to critical systems like that gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies. That's a terrible idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

It's not dumb, it's security. If you don't make the controls for the driving systems available through the infotainment system, it can't be hacked through the infotainment system.

Good point. I didn't think of that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ute said:

what is the difference between the '10 6 speed and the 11's ?  thought they were the same ?

The 2010 used a separate TCM, that functionality was integrated into the PCM in 2011.

 

It's strange that the recall is just for a reflash. Didn't the TSB/SSM dealing with this have replacement of the molded leadframe as the repair method?

Edited by RPF
Looks like SoonerLS beat me to the change in line 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

Speaking as a nearly 30 year IT professional who did a lot of IT security, pushing automatic updates to critical systems like that gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies. That's a terrible idea.

They do it thought, I’m assuming they look at it by if they have an issue for 1 in 20000 units it’s still more cost effective that bringing those 20000 vehicles to the dealership for the update. It’s the future good or bad; it’s coming...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's just as dumb 

Security vulnerability also. Don’t want someone hacking into your bus that controls your drive by wire system either. It just opens up another vector to be able to do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RPF said:

It's strange that the recall is just for a reflash. Didn't the TSB/SSM dealing with this have replacement of the molded leadframe as the repair method?

Yep, it did involve replacing the lead frame. This recall is more widespread, though; my '13 wasn't affected by the previous program (IIRC, it was a one-shot warranty extension), but it is covered by this recall (I checked as soon as I read about it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

pushing automatic updates to critical systems like that gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies.

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

They do it thought, I’m assuming they look at it by if they have an issue for 1 in 20000 units it’s still more cost effective that bringing those 20000 vehicles to the dealership for the update. It’s the future good or bad; it’s coming...

It's definitely more convenient and more cost effective - you just have to weight that against the added security risk and the possibility of bricking a vehicle unexpectedly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

'11 saw a change in computer architecture, so the '09-'10 6R80 has different electronics. IIRC, the '09-'10 had a TCM integrated into the transmission, whereas the '11-'14 (and probably the '15+) have a single PCM that controls both the engine and transmission.

Thanks for that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2012 F-150 and I run a Livernois Motorsports tuner, do I even need to be concerned about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Xbar said:

I have a 2012 F-150 and I run a Livernois Motorsports tuner, do I even need to be concerned about this?

It needs to be done to clear the recall status, but the general consensus seems to be that you don't have to worry about the problem happening, as the custom tunes affect the shift points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on getting the update. I was just looking for peace of mind in the meantime. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×