Tailgate wars heating up.

tbone

11 minutes ago, tbone said:

OK, that’s better than nothing. However that small step wouldn’t work well for me. I haul my motocross bike in the bed of the truck and i usually haul it with the tailgate down and bed extender out. That is also a really small step for me to hit when I’m running the bike up into the bed with the ramp.

There aren’t really a ton of ways to innovate on a tailgate, so there has to be compromises in various ways to create something useful.   So far you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

I will be interested to see what the take rate is on that option for Ram. At $1300 for the tailgate and step, it isn’t cheap. 

I remember reading somewhere that getting the split tailgate also includes a spray in bed liner.

12 minutes ago, tbone said:

OK, that’s better than nothing. However that small step wouldn’t work well for me. I haul my motocross bike in the bed of the truck and i usually haul it with the tailgate down and bed extender out. That is also a really small step for me to hit when I’m running the bike up into the bed with the ramp.

There aren’t really a ton of ways to innovate on a tailgate, so there has to be compromises in various ways to create something useful.   So far you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

I will be interested to see what the take rate is on that option for Ram. At $1300 for the tailgate and step, it isn’t cheap. 

$1,300 also includes the spray-in bed-liner.  Being that's a $475 option in the F-150, the tailgate and step are actually not that expensive considering what you get.  

4 hours ago, Anthony said:

$1,300 also includes the spray-in bed-liner.  Being that's a $475 option in the F-150, the tailgate and step are actually not that expensive considering what you get.  

Well, that helps with the appeal of the price. The Ford tailgate step is $375 as a stand-alone option for comparison. 

20 minutes ago, twintornados said:

What if, for some reason, you don't want a spray-in bed liner from the factory?

Then I would not get the Ram Multifunction Tailgate.  It does not look like you can separate the options (except for the step)

It is broken down like this:

• Multifunction Tailgate $995 (includes spray-in bed liner)
  • Center step is $295

27 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Then I would not get the Ram Multifunction Tailgate.  It does not look like you can separate the options (except for the step)

It is broken down like this:

• Multifunction Tailgate $995 (includes spray-in bed liner)
  • Center step is $295

The reason why someone would not want a factory spray-in liner is simple...there are better options out in the aftermarket. So by limiting the Multi-function tailgate by tying in a spray in bedliner, they are forcing something onto the consumer that may not want one but not the other. 

Edited by twintornados

5 hours ago, twintornados said:

The reason why someone would not want a factory spray-in liner is simple...there are better options out in the aftermarket. So by limiting the Multi-function tailgate by tying in a spray in bedliner, they are forcing something onto the consumer that may not want one but not the other.