Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
RadicalX

Ford Edge To Be Replaced In Europe By Seven-Seat Kuga

Recommended Posts

The Kuga, the mechanical twin of the Escape compact SUV (spy images above), was Ford of Europe's best-seller with 153,542 units sold. The EcoSport came next with 111,856 units sold, up by 78 percent from the previous year. The Edge midsize SUV, on the other hand, sold only a measly 9,527 units, down by 41 percent from the previous year.

 

With that said, Ford's SUV lineup is scheduled to be revamped this 2019. The EcoSport will get a replacement later in the year while a new Kuga is also on the way after the Escape's launch in the U.S. A seven-seater variant of the Kuga will also join the European lineup, ultimately replacing the Edge. Ford of Europe President Steven Armstrong also said that "another nameplate" will be launched this year.

 

https://www.motor1.com/news/304639/ford-kuga-replacing-edge/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This makes sense. Whilst I like the look of the Edge, it doesn't really offer anything over the slightly smaller Kuga. Offering 7 seats means, I guess, the S-Max and Galaxy 7-seater days are numbered, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

This makes sense. Whilst I like the look of the Edge, it doesn't really offer anything over the slightly smaller Kuga. Offering 7 seats means, I guess, the S-Max and Galaxy 7-seater days are numbered, too.

We switched from an Edge to a 2014 Escape Titanium.   2 years later we gave the Escape to daughter and bought a MKX.   There is a big difference.

 

I think this is more about narrower roads in Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The edge is only a 5 seater too right? How can a 7 seat Kuga replace a 5 seat edge? It would seem to me that the edge is not being replaced by anything.  It’s just being dropped due to poor sales.

on a side note, I wonder if this means we will see the 7 seat escape here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right, the Edge is only a 5-seater, but a little bigger in terms of space than the Kuga. I'm assuming next-gen Kuga will grow to effectively offer the same space as the current Edge.....and a 7-seat Kuga would, you assume, be a little bigger still. You're right though, it's not really a direct replacement, but will likely appeal to those that wanted a slightly larger SUV than the Kuga.

In terms of the Edge not being suitable to narrow European roads, I don't really think size was its problem. The Galaxy is bigger and used to sell well. I just don't think the extra inch or two over the Kuga was seen as value for money. Sadly, most Europeans would rather buy a German rival for similar money. There's still far too much badge snobbery over here 😒

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Color me confused as we've just received the RHD Endura is Australia, if RHD Europe pulls out of Edge, then that means our Endura will be gone inside 12 months... unless Australia is used to recover the RHD Edge development costs...Although the Chinese 7-seat Edge would make more sense for Australia over say, an Explorer.

Edited by jpd80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t pricing an issue with the Edge in Europe? I think they priced around the same as Porsche Macan or Cayanne? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Color me confused as we've just received the RHD Endura is Australia, if RHD Europe pulls out of Edge, then that means our Endura will be gone inside 12 months... unless Australia is used to recover the RHD Edge development costs...Although the Chinese 7-seat Edge would make more sense for Australia over say, an Explorer.

This. 

But with Endura only being available with 2l diesel and 5 seats in Oz, (neither of which are where the market is) and other small / medium SUVs now being available with 7 seats (CRV, Tiguan etc), I'm thinking we'll see a short life for Endura, this 7 seat Kuga become available, and I still think we'll see Explorer as alternative to Kluger / Acadia eventually. Endura makes little to no sense whatsoever in Oz as it stands. A cynic would say they're simply trying to offload excess volume once destined for UK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Wasn’t pricing an issue with the Edge in Europe? I think they priced around the same as Porsche Macan or Cayanne? 

Yes. the Edge is priced like a Macan and this is a problem because the car doesn´t justify it. The difference in price between the Kuga and the Edge is more than 18.000€ (20.000$), starting at 38.000€ (41.000$ !). Ford Europe needs that 7 seat compact SUV, but need a bigger SUV like the Explorer too. And, of course, a fair price for the Edge.

Edited by falconlover 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falconlover 1 said:

Yes. the Edge is priced like a Macan and this is a problem because the car doesn´t justify it. The difference in price between the Kuga and the Edge is more than 18.000€ (20.000$), starting at 38.000€ (41.000$ !). Ford Europe needs that 7 seat compact SUV, but need a bigger SUV like the Explorer too. And, of course, a fair price for the Edge.

It's clear that Ford doesn't understand Australia, they lump us in with UK RHD product but the preferences are a bit different. Our fuel costs are between USA and Europe so the pain of fuel costs is not as wicked as Europe or UK. Our diesel prices are now considerably higher than gasoline simply because  a lot of our pick ups and larger Utilities switched to diesels and the oil companies moved to protect their income. it sucks to be a prisoner to OPEC pricing.

Having said that, our prices on cheaper smaller Ford are close to those in LHD Canada (Aussie $~CDN$) but over 40K, Ford really takes the piss on pricing. Edge starts at $49K, Everest $52K, Mustang GT premium $65K, Ranger Raptor $76K

HSV is now doing RHD Camaro 2SS for $89K (60 man hrs/car to convert) so Mustang is pretty safe at its price.

Edited by jpd80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford knowing what the market wants is suspect when seeing  diesel sales in Europe drop off the map and being the only engine choice of the Edge. With UK being Fords biggest market and UK market not buying diesel why the surprise of Edge sales flopping. Ford in their brilliance added AWD variants with the Mondeo, S-Max and Galaxy but only in combination with a diesel powertrain. Why does it look like Ford wants to sabotage FoE business. Facking dumb shits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

I thought the new Edge had a gas option and is launching now?

The new Edge was launched some weeks ago and, at least in Spain, no gasoline engines. Only diesels, just when the customers have stopped buying diesel engines. 🙈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, falconlover 1 said:

The new Edge was launched some weeks ago and, at least in Spain, no gasoline engines. Only diesels, just when the customers have stopped buying diesel engines. 🙈

Well that does not make much sense.

 

As for the Kuga 7-seat replacing the Edge. That does not make sense.

The Kuga 7-seater will be replacing the Grand C-Max. 

 

Now the question is what replaces the S-Max/Galaxy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ausrutherford said:

Well that does not make much sense.

 

As for the Kuga 7-seat replacing the Edge. That does not make sense.

The Kuga 7-seater will be replacing the Grand C-Max. 

 

Now the question is what replaces the S-Max/Galaxy...

I agree with you. The 7 seat Kuga will replace the Grand C-Max. The S-Max and the Galaxy could be replaced by, and I hope this will be in this way, the new Explorer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My latest Intel says most likely Explorer even if only in LHD, sad to say that I think Ford is losing interest in RHD markets.

Euro/ROW Edge/ Endura was launched with only 2,0 diesel, no 2.0 EB, no hybrid when available on CD4, why no hybrid for Europe ROW?

Ford needs to get with the program fast, the big failing with One Ford was that it was all about USA, and too slow, years late everywhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

My latest Intel says most likely Explorer even if only in LHD, sad to say that I think Ford is losing interest in RHD markets.

Honestly this whole LHD/RHD thing is silly to me. The whole world should be on the same page with this by now. Ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NEW FORD EU EDGE SPECIFICATIONS  http://edge.fordpresskits.com/

2.0-litre EcoBlue FWD (8-speed automatic) 150ps ,

2.0-litre EcoBlue Intelligent AWD (6-speed manual) 190ps,

2.0-litre EcoBlue Intelligent AWD (8-speed automatic) 238ps

 

Mondeo, S-Max, & Galaxy 1 gas engine choice, 1.5EB 165ps .  EDIT - forgot about the mighty 2.0l engine  put in the Mondeo Hybrid sedan, now offered on the facelift wagon variant as well.

Edited by MKII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replacing the Edge in the US, with even a stretched Kuga would be a mistake !  It is not just length, it is width.  When we bought our Edge, we seriously considered an Escape.  Not enough "hip" room.  You felt like you were almost sitting on top of the other front seat passenger.  The current Edge seats 4 "full size" adults very comfortably.

Also, adding 2 more seats ?  Why ?  Only kids under 12 would fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Honestly this whole LHD/RHD thing is silly to me. The whole world should be on the same page with this by now. Ridiculous. 

The problem with that is deciding which is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, twintornados said:

The problem with that is deciding which is correct.

Easy. Which one is more common? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Easy. Which one is more common? 

Remember that though RHD is only in a couple dozen nations, one of those nations is India with its nearly 1.4 billion people.

 

25-30% of the world's population is in RHD markets. Not exactly a fringe minority.

Edited by ausrutherford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Easy. Which one is more common? 

That would be the easy part....the hard part would be getting the drivers to have to basically, re-learn how to drive and the communities would have to completely re-engineer to road ways including moving signs and signals....just easier and cheaper to leave as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Remember that though RHD is only in a couple dozen nations, one of those nations is India with its nearly 1.4 billion people.

 

25-30% of the world's population is in RHD markets. Not exactly a fringe minority.

That's my point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's my point 

Well you asked which one is more common. The answer is not as simple as that. This is not Sweden switching overnight in 1967. You are talking about 25-30% of the world's population. 25-30% of the world's roads, bridges, driving laws, etc.

It would likely cost way more to switch than for an automaker to engineer LHD and RHD vehicles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×