Kumar Galhotra on Bronco DNA

14 hours ago, sullynd said:

This makes no sense.  What cars in continuous production have avoided airbags or seat belts?  It doesn’t work that way. 

Explain the Gladiator...

I'm guessing Gladiator gets around by being considered a variation of Wrangler.  In other words, in the law's eyes it's probably equivalent to how the 4-door (which never existed) falls under the 2-door's rules.  It's an extension/variant of Wrangler - there's the 2-door, 4-door, and pickup -all versions of the core "Wrangler vehicle".

---

My thoughts on the spare/swing gate/tailgate - the "civilized" version of me wishes it wouldn't have an exterior spare at all (I've done sketches of what I'd have it look like), but since it will, I'm ok with the swing gate - nobody these days is going to want to have to swing open the tire AND then do the tailgate just to get to the cargo area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I'm guessing Gladiator gets around by being considered a variation of Wrangler.  In other words, in the law's eyes it's probably equivalent to how the 4-door (which never existed) falls under the 2-door's rules.  It's an extension/variant of Wrangler - there's the 2-door, 4-door, and pickup -all versions of the core "Wrangler vehicle".

---

My thoughts on the spare/swing gate/tailgate - the "civilized" version of me wishes it wouldn't have an exterior spare at all (I've done sketches of what I'd have it look like), but since it will, I'm ok with the swing gate - nobody these days is going to want to have to swing open the tire AND then do the tailgate just to get to the cargo area.

I will.

It's really not hard. Hopefully Ford brings back the power window too.

I believe the SFA rumor started when Dana won the contract for the F/R axle assemblies on the Ranger/Bronco. People automatically assume Dana=Live Axle.

Dana makes differential assemblies for driven independent suspensions for most of the industry, including Ford. For instance look at the rear axle on the back on something like the Edge, Escape or Explorer. Dana rear differential with independent suspension. Or look at what is on the front of the new Ranger.

I'd be shocked if this ends up with a SFA.

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The kind of people who would buy the Bronco wouldn't have a problem with it, and very well might prefer it (FWIW, swinging the spare on my folks' '84 Bronco never bothered me, and the tailgate was very useful). Ford obviously doesn't see it as a make-or-break decision (and I'm sure they're right), so they spent those development dollars on something else (or it kept them from cutting something else).

9 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

The kind of people who would buy the Bronco wouldn't have a problem with it, and very well might prefer it (FWIW, swinging the spare on my folks' '84 Bronco never bothered me, and the tailgate was very useful). Ford obviously doesn't see it as a make-or-break decision (and I'm sure they're right), so they spent those development dollars on something else (or it kept them from cutting something else).

not a big deal to me at all, and adding a swingout bracket for the spare ...along with a flip down tailgate just sounds un-necessary along with just additional weight. I recall slamming that bracket shut on the old Bronco...weighed a ton and the tailgate itself had to be beefy to stop being caved in.

36 minutes ago, RPF said:

I believe the SFA rumor started when Dana won the contract for the F/R axle assemblies on the Ranger/Bronco. People automatically assume Dana=Live Axle.

Dana makes differential assemblies for driven independent suspensions for most of the industry, including Ford. For instance look at the rear axle on the back on something like the Edge, Escape or Explorer. Dana rear differential with independent suspension. Or look at what is on the front of the new Ranger.

I'd be shocked if this ends up with a SFA.

like I said...optional, either factory direct, or more likely aftermarket...but I had confirmation from a pretty good source.

36 minutes ago, Deanh said:

not a big deal to me at all, and adding a swingout bracket for the spare ...along with a flip down tailgate just sounds un-necessary along with just additional weight. I recall slamming that bracket shut on the old Bronco...weighed a ton and the tailgate itself had to be beefy to stop being caved in.

The latches went bad very easily too. My dad's 95 went through 3 of them.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:19 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Haven't heard anything about a roll down rear window, but it's a swing gate and not a drop down like the old one. 

I've also heard about the swing gate from some articles I've read as well as what you and some others here said. Had not heard of a roll down rear window into the swing gate.

22 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I can't figure out how to break up quotes like I used to do so I'll address all of your concerns numerically 

1. @jpd80 knows more about the drivetrain aspect than I do so maybe he can correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm pretty sure the Bronco is getting a solid front axle. Again, don't quote me on that for sure, I don't know much about the powertrain planning. 

2. I'm getting really damn tired of the no V8 crowd bitching and moaning. Most of them are stuck in the past and that has grown tiresome to me. Grow up and STFU

3.Ford already announced it will be both a 2-door and 4-door. I don't expect many, if any 2-doors to be built initially (similar to what's going on with the Ranger Supercab) until a decent inventory of 4-doors is built up. 

4. This won't happen for regulatory reasons. Jeep can get away with it because the Wrangler has been in production long enough to grandfather past the change in regulation that made it harder for a removable roof. Had the Bronco never died they would be able to Keep it. Wrangler having a roll cage certainly helps and the Bronco will have that to a degree but the top won't be 1 piece. 

A solid or independent front axle is good enough for me. They did great with the Raptor's IFS. Surely the SFA will be offered as factory option. A V8 is not really much needed anymore in this age due to high tech turbo engines that Ford has succeeded in using. The 2.3L EB I4 and 2.7L EB V6 are good enough for me. A 2 door and 4 door were announced by Ford and I think it's good they're doing the 2 door for the purists while the 4 door will likely be about 70% of the production totals. I also knew that the Bronco won't have 1-piece removable top due to the grandfathered laws you mentioned. The removable pieces and one-piece swing gate are all fine with me.

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Agreed, the swing gate is good enough for me since they are at least offering full-size spare tire and it's easier to just mount onto one-piece swing away tailgate for easy access to the cargo as well as reduce parts and future problems with repairs and parts replacements. It's all good to me.

My personal thoughts on the Bronco:

Chevy just reintroduced the "blazer". Which turned out to be just another crossover. Its $52K for the TFL video example- and its an Edge competitor. At least with the Edge ST in that price range, you get a niche with the performance crowd. The Wrangler is unchallenged. My wife has a 98 TJ that she adores. Its lifted and a really clean example of a TJ. We tried the JKU back in 2010. She didn't like it. We are in the market now for her a daily driver and she really wanted to like the JLU, but kept asking about the Bronco. Unfortunately we cant wait and it looks like an Edge ST is in our future (not a bad choice).

I have been following a YouTube channel called "litebrite". Its a married couple that has been chronicling their JLU through various build stages and they then go to all sorts of trails. They drive this Jeep on 38's all over the place. They wheel it (hard) and in most episodes its a whole community of cult Jeepers. They beat the snot of these things. Flexing them over rocks, going through mud, snow, etc. 

Ford doesn't have that vehicle- yet. To really invigorate this base and attract Jeep folks, it needs to be relatable. A modern day Jeep is honest. It has a fancier interior but getting out of a TJ and sitting in a JL, you know you are in a Wrangler and not a Grand Cherokee. 

Ford needs to appeal to that market. It should be a throwback shape with good departure and break over angles and class leading ground clearance. It doesn't need to be exotic inside. Any ecoboost V6 will already destroy the Pentastar. 

But above all else, in my opinion, it needs the strength and simplicity of solid axles front and rear that can take abuse for those that want to really wheel it. Not a poser. You cant take an explorer and drag it off boulders like you can a Wrangler. 

Ford seems to be "getting it" lately so I am optimistic they don't waste the opportunity. The Expedition and Navigator have hit the marks they needed to hit. The 7.3 pushrod motor has sparked a resurgence on every enthusiast site I frequent. Its the holy grail of the motor world right now and it hasn't even been dropped between the fenders of anything yet. The Edge ST is awesome and the new Explorer looks strong with a full frame and RWD architecture. Maybe Ford has found a way to appeal to all sides. I just hope the Bronco retains an honest image and capability and they don't try to appeal to everyone. If they do, it will not excel in the core market they need to hit.

• Like 1

One of the Ford Execs comments were that the Bronco would leverage certain Bronco design cues.  I understand all the functional must haves and nice to haves mentioned here but what do you think are the key Bronco DNA design elements that need to show up?  Is it the fender cut out shapes?  The grill pattern and round headlights?  The hips on the front fenders?  The roof profile? Just like the Mustang has long hood/shot deck, certain fender hips, the fastback, rear quarter windows, front grill elements etc.  What is the Bronco design DNA that will stick?

I just bought a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4 door and when it sites next to my 55 Willys Wagon, I know they are cousins instantly.

17 hours ago, buddysystem said:

One of the Ford Execs comments were that the Bronco would leverage certain Bronco design cues.  I understand all the functional must haves and nice to haves mentioned here but what do you think are the key Bronco DNA design elements that need to show up?  Is it the fender cut out shapes?  The grill pattern and round headlights?  The hips on the front fenders?  The roof profile? Just like the Mustang has long hood/shot deck, certain fender hips, the fastback, rear quarter windows, front grill elements etc.  What is the Bronco design DNA that will stick?

I just bought a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4 door and when it sites next to my 55 Willys Wagon, I know they are cousins instantly.

guesses...round headlights...maybe semblance in the grill...the Bronco Concept may supply clues...kinda wondered why the concept showed up in a "rock" movie....gauge reaction perhaps?...

54 minutes ago, Deanh said:

guesses...round headlights...maybe semblance in the grill...the Bronco Concept may supply clues...kinda wondered why the concept showed up in a "rock" movie....gauge reaction perhaps?...

If you want to know what the front end of the Bronco looks like, look at the uncovered teaser of the Maverick that came out a few months ago. There's a lot of similarities there. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/13/2020-ford-bronco-leaked-photos/#slide-7466947

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If you want to know what the front end of the Bronco looks like, look at the uncovered teaser of the Maverick that came out a few months ago. There's a lot of similarities there. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/13/2020-ford-bronco-leaked-photos/#slide-7466947

IMO those round headlights need a slight relocation inboard...not a lot just a smidge.