Questions for the Aviator

Wheeling

I was reading the specs for the new Aviator and have some confusions.

The regular Aviator has five drive modes and the GT gets additional two, Pure EV and Preserve. Easy to understand. But what if I want to use the power of both engines,  which mode should be used?

Another issue is the adaptive suspension comes standard with AWD. What is the difference with the standard suspension?  This is not the air glider suspension, right?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Wheeling said:

The regular Aviator has five drive modes and the GT gets additional two, Pure EV and Preserve. Easy to understand. But what if I want to use the power of both engines,  which mode should be used?

Another issue is the adaptive suspension comes standard with AWD. What is the difference with the standard suspension?  This is not the air glider suspension, right?

Thanks.

I would expect that. "Excite" mode would give you the most power.  However, normal should also give you both.

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2019 at 12:30 AM, akirby said:

Excite gives you both ICE and battery power at the same time for ludicrous speed.   I expect Normal would switch between battery and ICE for maximum fuel economy like a regular hybrid.

Adaptive suspension changes the shock tuning electronically.

Related image

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2019 at 7:59 PM, Wheeling said:

Thanks.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:30 PM, akirby said:

Excite gives you both ICE and battery power at the same time for ludicrous speed.   I expect Normal would switch between battery and ICE for maximum fuel economy like a regular hybrid.

Adaptive suspension changes the shock tuning electronically.

With regards to the suspension here are the options:

Standard: Four-Wheel Independent Suspension

Available on Reserve: 

Adaptive Suspension (requires AWD or 22” Wheel)
— Noise Reduction Module
— Sound Insulation Pack

Optional Package:

Dynamic Handling Package
• Adaptive Steering
• Adaptive Suspension with Road Preview
• Air Glide Suspension with Dynamic Lower Entry

Like @akirby already said, the adaptive suspension would be electronically controlled shocks.  The Dynamic Handling would be the upgrade to the air ride and also adds the road preview.

For the drive modes, all of the normal modes will give you some combination of ICE and EM.  The normal modes are: Normal, Conserve, Excite, Slippery and Deep Condition.  Conserve will be your best fuel economy outside of pure EV with short shift points and less responsive throttle. Normal will be allow more ICE engine rev range, a quicker throttle response and wider shift points.  Excite will be quickest throttle response and most aggressive use of the EM's power and torque, shifts points will keep you in the peak power band of the ICE.  It will also have the firmest suspension setting.  Slippery and Deep Conditions are more about the traction control and suspension settings.

8 hours ago, T hawker said:

Guy's, does anyone know of a web site that provides the design details of the Aviator's 3.0 TT engine?  Not looking for EV details.

Thanks in advance.  Steve

It is the same basic 3.0L twin turbo design that is available in the Continental and MKZ and will be in the 2020 Explorer ST and Platinum.  The only unknown at this point is if it will be 400 hp / 400 ft-lbs (of the Conti/MKZ) or if it will be the 400 hp / 415 ft-lbs (2020 Explorer ST).  It will not be the 2020 Explorer Platinum configuration.