New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Sevensecondsuv

Mike Levine says the new 7.3 would "fit" in Mustang and F-150 Raptor

18 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Perhaps understanding why Ford went to HP 3.5 V6 Ecoboost in Raptor over say a S/C 6.2 Boss is the key to understanding why certain things do and don't happen.

You cal call that  a) En-lightening    b) En-lightning   c) En-lighting...

E-nlighting?  Electric.... ;)

6 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

In the second picture it looks like I can see where the DI injector will go!

It certainly looks like the same sort of flat that was in the Gen 1 Coyote heads.

Huh. Futureproofing. Whodathunkit?

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

2020-Ford-Super-Duty-Big-Block-V8-03.jpg

All that awesome new engineering out just in time to be killed-off by the "Green New Deal"

3 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

All that awesome new engineering out just in time to be killed-off by the "Green New Deal"

With targets like zero emission power supply withing ten years, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for affordable  battery powered SD and MD trucks. Not getting political here, I just don't see the BEV network, costs and power supply demands being mature enough to make that a reality. We will need engines like the 7.3 V8 for the foreseeable future.

Edited by jpd80

Will be interesting to see if "kits" appear to "drop in" this new engine in vintage cars/trucks.

Gears turning here - I wonder if Ford has designed this block with DOHC  4V in future plans - Just looking at what Mercury Marine Racing achieved with the LS7.  NA 750 HP & 570 lb/ft from 7 Litres.

26 minutes ago, Hemiman said:

Gears turning here - I wonder if Ford has designed this block with DOHC  4V in future plans - Just looking at what Mercury Marine Racing achieved with the LS7.  NA 750 HP & 570 lb/ft from 7 Litres.

There is that possibility and I would like to think Ford pre-planned all this for the future. Just like where 7Mary3 pointed out the photo where the direct injection could go as if they already pre-designed that feature for the future if needed. I'm not a gear head myself so would like to know too if that is indeed the DI spot as well as possibility of future DOHC 4V setup. Remember that the Ranger's 4.0L Cologne V6 engine was pushrod at one time before they switched to the SOHC setup.

Regarding CAFE and "green-ness", large capacity/class trucks are exempt. Which is why the biggies got V-10's all these years.

Edited by 630land

1 hour ago, 630land said:

Regarding CAFE and "green-ness", large capacity/class trucks are exempt. Which is why the biggies got V-10's all these years.

There is no CAFE for medium duty vehicles but they are subject to EPA emission regs. In fact, the Phase 2 implementation of the law regulating emission of medium and heavy duty vehicles is probably lead to Ford designing the 7.3 to replace the ancient V10.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2016-10-25/pdf/2016-21203.pdf