Mike Levine says the new 7.3 would "fit" in Mustang and F-150 Raptor

A big block stang or finally a real motor in the raptor....dumbest move ford ever did putting in some turbo pos in the raptor...yea i would at least visit a ford dealership due to fact as of now they have nothing worthwhile to even go look at...id luv to see a big block stang

• Angry 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Why?

Because Ford’s building a new big block and the Raptor is supposed to be the baddest truck Ford builds. EB V6 is the most overrated motor on the market today from Ford. The 7.3 would put out similar power NA, should be more reliable long term, cheaper to build, and sound a heck of a lot better. It’s not like the EB’s have earth shattering fuel economy either.

Edited by Steve557

4 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Yeah, because a Raptor needs an extra few hundred pounds hanging around under the hood.  ?

7.3 will likely not weigh much more than 6.2 that had no problems being in last gen Raptor. Based on what we have heard with 7.3 being 50lbs less than V10 it could actually be around 120lbs more than 3.5EB. ?

10 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

In other words, the difference between having your 7th grader in the truck with you or not.  For me, it'd be worth it for the sound alone!

Yup, the sound difference alone would be worth it. Hearing a new Raptor it’s as if Honda or Toyota built the motor. ?

Atleast now we can stop talking about EB 5.0’s or the like in SD’s as Ford themselves admits that the Ecotrash is nothing more than a marketing gimmick that doesn’t cut it in the real trucks. They must have gotten tired of the GM 6.2 beating them in performance and economy and more than likely long term reliability.

Edited by Steve557

Just now, Steve557 said:

Yup, the sound difference alone would be worth it. Hearing a new Raptor it’s as if Honda or Toyota built the motor. ?

Atleast now we can stop talking about EB 5.0’s or the like in SD’s as Ford themselves admits that the Ecotrash is nothing more than a marketing gimmick that doesn’t cut it in the real trucks.

No, what Ford said is that in trucks constantly under load, a big gas engine makes more sense, in F150 where hauling or towing is less frequent, the Ecoboost engines actually help with official fuel economy figures. If you tow constantly in an F150, the 5.0 V8 might be a slightly better engine.

Mike Levine was very careful in the way he said that the 7.3 would fit in Mustang and F150 Raptor...and then buried it by saying that there might be examples at SEMA this year or next year. I think it was a deliberate attempt to stir up social media and get fans talking.

The 2019 F150 Raptor gets an official 15/18 mpg gas mileage, that's a much lower figure than the regular 3.5 EB F150 with AWD.  In such a power oriented vehicle is the 3.5 EB engine   helping or hindering that official fuel economy figure - could the 7.3 V8 match those figures or possibly improve on them?

4 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The 2019 F150 Raptor gets an official 15/18 mpg gas mileage, that's a much lower figure than the regular 3.5 EB F150 with AWD.  In such a power oriented vehicle is the 3.5 EB engine   helping or hindering that official fuel economy figure - could the 7.3 V8 match those figures or possibly improve on them?

The EB35 HO is such a small percentage of F-Series sales that it probably doesn't even move the needle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

The EB35 HO is such a small percentage of F-Series sales that it probably doesn't even move the needle.

If you accept that logic then changing to a larger gas engine wouldn't move the needle much either...

My reason for suggesting that lies in the possibility that the 3.5 EB runs more often on enriched fuel mixtures in the Raptor where as the big 7.3 might be able to maintain that slightly leaner 14.7:1 mixture in more of the official fuel test driving range.

Either way, unless Ford announces different, the 3.5 EB is the apex engine in F150 and the S/C V8 remains an option in Mustang for those that want more power...as well as the new GT500 of course..

Edited by jpd80

31 minutes ago, Steve557 said:

7.3 will likely not weigh much more than 6.2 that had no problems being in last gen Raptor. Based on what we have heard with 7.3 being 50lbs less than V10 it could actually be around 120lbs more than 3.5EB. ?

Well for one it wasn't the 6.2 in the last generation, it was the now out of production 6.7

45 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

If you accept that logic then changing to a larger gas engine wouldn't move the needle much either.

Most likely, yes. I doubt that FE will be the deciding factor in whether or not it goes in the Raptor. Its suitability for the Raptor's purpose and the ability to meet F-250 and up demand for the 7.3 will be the big factors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve557 said:

Raptor needs this motor, it most assuredly fits and how much more would the 7.3 weigh? I feel most Raptor buyers would prefer a V8 if the option.

As the owner of a 2011, 2013, and 2017 Raptor, I would say I would have preferred to have a V8, assuming it was more powerful than the current 35. 

1 hour ago, Steve557 said:

Because Ford’s building a new big block and the Raptor is supposed to be the baddest truck Ford builds. EB V6 is the most overrated motor on the market today from Ford. The 7.3 would put out similar power NA, should be more reliable long term, cheaper to build, and sound a heck of a lot better. It’s not like the EB’s have earth shattering fuel economy either.

I would say you are incorrect about the EB35 HO. It is a pretty badass motor. It is more powerful than the 6.2L and gets better fuel economy. 

Atleast now we can stop talking about EB 5.0’s or the like in SD’s as Ford themselves admits that the Ecotrash is nothing more than a marketing gimmick that doesn’t cut it in the real trucks. They must have gotten tired of the GM 6.2 beating them in performance and economy and more than likely long term reliability.

The only thing I don’t like about the 2017 is the sound. It isn’t horrible but it isn't great either. 

44 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Well for one it wasn't the 6.2 in the last generation, it was the now out of production 6.7

What 6.7 are you talking about?  My old Raptors had 6.2Ls. 

Edited by tbone
  • Like 1

I’m getting 22 mpg in everyday mixed driving with my 3.5LEB.   A 7.3L won’t come anywhere close to that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

I’m getting 22 mpg in everyday mixed driving with my 3.5LEB.   A 7.3L won’t come anywhere close to that.

The regular 2019 3.5 EB in 4WD F150 is rated at 19mpg/23mpg, so your F150 is doing really well with FE.

The 2019 F150 Raptor is rated at 16mpg/18mpg, so something is  going on there with boost, enrichment or is it gearing and tires?

Edited by jpd80

13 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The regular 2019 3.5 EB in 4WD F150 is rated at 19mpg/23mpg, so your F150 is doing really well with FE.

The 2019 F150 Raptor is rated at 16mpg/18mpg, so something is  going on there with boost, enrichment or is it gearing and tires?

Probably all of the above. Regardless if it’s a smaller engine with a turbo or a big block, if you use the power you will pay the penalty of poor MPG. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve557 said:

I've owned 2 3.5 Ecoboost F-150's. My current one is a 2018. Very satisfied with the power and towing ability.
Do you know what CAFE Standards are? With most of the sedan's going away Ford needs to squeeze every drop it can to meet those MPG standards. Especially with most sedan's going away.