Jaguar Land Rover takes $4.4B hit, writes down value of cars, plants

jpd80

16 hours ago, AGR said:

Fisker will supposedly be coming back soon, so you can't put them on the list just yet.

There's a company now called Karma that's still making what was the Fisker Karma.

I do recall seeing that other car Fisker is trying to make - it's weird looking.

Edited by rmc523

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

There's a company now called Karma that's still making what was the Fisker Karma.

I do recall seeing that other car Fisker is trying to make - it's weird looking.

Yeah, there was a Karma Revero in with the exotics (Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, etc) at the Chicago Auto Show. I saw a Fisker Karma in 2014 while taking the tour at Paramount Studios. It no doubt belonged to a movie star.

Edited by AGR

On 2/20/2019 at 6:40 PM, AGR said:

Fisker will supposedly be coming back soon, so you can't put them on the list just yet.

Yes sir, there's a new company Fisker Inc. that was founded in 2016. It's a completely separate company from the defunct Fisker Automotive. Fisker Automotive's assets were acquired by Wangxiang and renamed Karma Automotive as rmc523 mentioned.

Cars from the new Fisker Inc. company aren't in production yet. The prototype looks nice.

_Emotion_5_FG.png

New%203.jpg

profit%207.jpg

(Before 2010, J/LR's profit/loss was loose change)

The problem with luxury brands like Jaguar and Land Rover is the cost of maintaining vehicle product cycles and expansion in China.

TATA has been allowing J/LR to use its profits to fund its operations for the next financial year and so on, I think that if you look at J/LR's cash at hand it not that massive and also they have a whole bunch of notes maturing soon that need to be bought back.

From about 2016, J/LR's EBIT margin has been steadily falling so the current situation comes as no surprise, it's all about leverage and in the good times, the brands make out like bandits but when things go off the boil, well that's the time to worry.

The last four years are all on J/LR management or lack of it, no more blaming Ford no more looking back plus 10 years.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

And then there's this,

Jaguar Land Rover Is Headed for a Cash Crash

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-02-17/jaguar-land-rover-is-headed-for-a-cash-crash

The charge should also be a warning for Jaguar Land Rover’s increasingly precarious cash and liquidity position. The company’s liquidity – all its cash plus a 1.94 billion pound revolving credit facility due in 2022 – has deteriorated dramatically in the past two years, dropping to around 4.4 billion pounds. Meanwhile its total debt has continued to rise, to 4.7 billion pounds as of Dec. 31.

While its persistently negative free cash flows have improved from the depths of the first fiscal half, S&P Global Ratings estimates that its measure of free operating cash will continue to be significantly in the red for two years. If the cash burn matches the average 670 million pounds a quarter seen since March 2017, JLR may struggle to make it through another year.

So obviously TATA will step in with more funding, that $6 Billion War Chest it was building...

Edited by jpd80

35 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The last four years are all on J/LR management or lack of it

Yes sir jpd80. Tata gave JLR managers lots of leeway for how they run operations. Those JLR managers will have to prove they can handle the challenges their business faces now. Both internal and external. I'm optimistic JLR can turn things around. But like many other automakers, they may have to shrink even more to become healthier in the next 3 years.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

Just now, rperez817 said:

Yes sir jpd80. Tata gave JLR managers lots of leeway for how they run operations. Those JLR managers will have to prove they can handle the challenges their subsidiary face now. Both internal and external. I'm optimistic JLR can turn things around. But like many other automakers, they may have to shrink even more to become healthier in the next 3 years.

Thank you, I'm not being down on J/LR, just that people should accept  that the brands exist to support themselves, Ford couldn't come to terms with that but old man TATA does and he loves the prestige of owning two storied brands. So long as they can keep the books squared away, the brands will survive.

There's one thing for sure, if J/LR doesn't spend money and pivot to new era products, it will be left behind and go broke, so it do or die.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AGR said:

Yeah, there was a Karma Revero in with the exotics (Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, etc) at the Chicago Auto Show. I saw a Fisker Karma in 2014 while taking the tour at Paramount Studios. It no doubt belonged to a movie star.

I see one every now and then down here.

14 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, there's a new company Fisker Inc. that was founded in 2016. It's a completely separate company from the defunct Fisker Automotive. Fisker Automotive's assets were acquired by Wangxiang and renamed Karma Automotive as rmc523 mentioned.

Cars from the new Fisker Inc. company aren't in production yet. The prototype looks nice.

The side profile and back were ok.  But the front was odd.

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Thank you, I'm not being down on J/LR, just that people should accept  that the brands exist to support themselves, Ford couldn't come to terms with that but old man TATA does and he loves the prestige of owning two storied British brands. So long as they can keep the books squared away, the brands will survive.

There's one thing for sure, if J/LR doesn't spend money and pivot to new era products, it will be left behind and go broke, so it do or die.

fixed

On 2/23/2019 at 11:19 PM, Bellanca said:

On a somewhat related note I saw the I-Pace today and looked it over for a few minutes. That is not a Jaguar in my eyes, that thing is an eyesore. At least the interior is a step in the right direction. 

Yeah, I saw one at the auto show a few months ago, and I really don't understand what all the hubbub is about that design - it really isn't that good looking in my eyes.  I mean, unless you're comparing it directly to other electrics like Bolt or Leaf.  Then it looks like a beautiful exotic.  Otherwise it's nothing revolutionary like some are making it out to be.

• Like 1