Ordered New Navigator - Delivered with 65 miles?

TexasAggie02

I special ordered a '19 Navigator Reserve on 11/1 and finally picked it up on 2/1.  After the salesman cleaned the wrong vehicle and then having to "find" my Nav again on the lot and then have it cleaned, I was surprised when I got in that it had 65 miles on the odometer already.  The finance person thought it was a mistake when they were processing the paperwork.  I asked the salesman about it and he said "oh it must have gone through some extra QC checks - 1 in 50 Navigators go through that".  Even though they detailed it, I was also surprised at generally how dirty the inside still was (smudges, etc...).

Is that a true statement or covering up for something else (i.e. owner of the dealership driving it for a few days)?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid and should just enjoy the truck, but my spidey sense says it was a good story that may not be true.

3 hours ago, TexasAggie02 said:

I special ordered a '19 Navigator Reserve on 11/1 and finally picked it up on 2/1.  After the salesman cleaned the wrong vehicle and then having to "find" my Nav again on the lot and then have it cleaned, I was surprised when I got in that it had 65 miles on the odometer already.  The finance person thought it was a mistake when they were processing the paperwork.  I asked the salesman about it and he said "oh it must have gone through some extra QC checks - 1 in 50 Navigators go through that".  Even though they detailed it, I was also surprised at generally how dirty the inside still was (smudges, etc...).

Is that a true statement or covering up for something else (i.e. owner of the dealership driving it for a few days)?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid and should just enjoy the truck, but my spidey sense says it was a good story that may not be true.

Hi Texas.  As fuzzy stated, vehicles are randomly taken from the line for QC test drives. I had a 1985 factory ordered Mustang GT delivered to me with similar mileage as your Navigator.  However, my Mustang GT was delivered with a sticker from the factory, specifically stating that it had had been randomly selected for a QC test drive and listing the odometer reading when the test drive was completed. I would hope they would still provide that information today, especially on a Lincoln. Perhaps you can contact the Lincoln Concierge for more information, if you are still curious.

As far as the condition it was in when delivered to you: The Dealer is paid to properly clean and prep delivered vehicles, as fuzzy also mentioned.  Did you let the Dealer know at the time of delivery that you were unhappy with its condition? You should politely insist they properly detail your Navigator, since it was not done properly the first time.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks both of you.  Couldn’t tell if it was made up or not.  I would have waited more to get it cleaned but already waited 4 more hours and had to go pick up the kids so we couldn’t afford anymore delays. 

It’s a great truck - wife loves it. Just wish the delivery experience was better after a month of additional delays.  

I just bought a 2019 black label and it had 67 miles on it.   BUT, it was a vehicle on the dealer lot so I suspect it was test driven.   A special order should not be test driven, and that sounds like what happened.   You should at a minimum have them redo the detailing..  

1 hour ago, drpaul said:

I just bought a 2019 black label and it had 67 miles on it.   BUT, it was a vehicle on the dealer lot so I suspect it was test driven.   A special order should not be test driven, and that sounds like what happened.   You should at a minimum have them redo the detailing..  

Yeah - when I special ordered my Mustang it was delivered to the dealer with 2.3 miles on it (I saw it the day it came in) and when I picked it up it had around 6 miles on it.  Lincoln/Ford should be able to tell you if it was part of a special QC which is not unheard of.  But there is usually documentation to that on a sticker or piece of paper in the vehicle.

As others have said, there is typically a sticker indicating that it was the subject of quality checks.....at least there used to be.   When I received the MKS that I ordered several years ago, it had about 60 miles on it and the sticker.   It turned out to be the best car I ever owned.

As for detailing prior to delivery, some dealer personnel are better than others.    I have bought enough cars at my dealership that the sales manager now tells me that he is having his "best people do it because you are such a fussy son of a gun."    ?

• 1 month later...

My neighbor in Louisville worked at the Ford Kentucky plant where they make Super Duty's plus these large SUVs.  He drove a different and brand new vehicle home every single day.  Part of their quality control process.  A new vehicle comes off this line, on average, every 54 seconds.

Ford plant KY.JPG