Ford investing $1 billion into Chicago assembly and stamping

Everybody I've talked to in Chicago area says their local and state governments are the most business unfriendly in the whole country. Yet companies like Ford are expanding there. In 2017, there were more new and expanded corporate facilities in the Chicago area than even Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston combined. And Texas is the BEST place for business. What gives? https://siteselection.com/issues/2018/mar/top-metros-2017-repeat-defenders.cfm

Total Projects by Population Tiers

Metros with Population Over 1 Million

2017 2016 Metro State Projects
1 1 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin Ill.-Ind.-Wis. 402
2 3 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land Texas 196
3 2 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Texas 192
4 6 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell Ga. 131
5 4 New York-Newark-Jersey City N.Y.-N.J.-Pa. 128
6 5 Cincinnati Ohio-Ky.-Ind. 111
7 8 Columbus Ohio 99
8 7 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria D.C.-Va.-Md.-W.Va. 82
9 20 Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson Ind. 73
10 T18 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim Calif. 72

6 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Everybody I've talked to in Chicago area says their local and state governments are the most business unfriendly in the whole country. Yet companies like Ford are expanding there. In 2017, there were more new and expanded corporate facilities in the Chicago area than even Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston combined. And Texas is the BEST place for business. What gives?

Easy answer.  Ford has an existing plant in Chicago.  

8 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Everybody I've talked to in Chicago area says their local and state governments are the most business unfriendly in the whole country. Yet companies like Ford are expanding there. In 2017, there were more new and expanded corporate facilities in the Chicago area than even Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston combined. And Texas is the BEST place for business. What gives? https://siteselection.com/issues/2018/mar/top-metros-2017-repeat-defenders.cfm

Tell everyone you talked to they ain't seen "business unfriendly" until they try to do business in NY

6 minutes ago, Ididntdoit said:

I ask the same thing, it was mentioned at a meeting couple months ago. They aren't going to announce it till last minute due to the reaction last time and they vandalized the cars and plant. 

Sounds like someone is a major shit stirrer. You’re getting a new body and paint shop. 

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/02/07/ford-chicago-jobs-explorer-lincoln-aviator/2801585002/

10 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Total Projects by Population Tiers

Metros with Population Over 1 Million

2017 2016 Metro State Projects
1 1 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin Ill.-Ind.-Wis. 402
2 3 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land Texas 196
3 2 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Texas 192
4 6 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell Ga. 131
5 4 New York-Newark-Jersey City N.Y.-N.J.-Pa. 128
6 5 Cincinnati Ohio-Ky.-Ind. 111
7 8 Columbus Ohio 99
8 7 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria D.C.-Va.-Md.-W.Va. 82
9 20 Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson Ind. 73
10 T18 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim Calif. 72

Illinois is horrible place for existing businesses. The politicians here would sell their soul to the Devil (many have already) to get good publicity by bringing jobs in by promising 0 taxes for a hundred years.  The problem is they just tax the F out the population and existing businesses. Meanwhile, the public sector unions are fleecing the state, making the pension funding gap larger and larger. If any of you think the UAW is crooked, do some reading on IL state pension liability. I half expect to be charged to breathe clean air. 

What does this mean. It means  IL is losing it's population fast and that is creating a talent drain. The more people leave the higher the taxes. Rinse repeat. My prediction, is that IL will be insolvent in 10 years. Everybody that can will move out, including yours truly, once they try to bring a progressive tax (which is planned). I'd rather not move to Wisconsin, Indiana, or back to Michigan but I may have no choice. Why should I make over 100k here and live like I make 30k ? It makes no sense.

Sorry, I digress. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford has significant tax protection in IL. It probably would cost an arm an a leg to move that production elsewhere too. One would assume doing a cost benefit analysis before making these decisions but you never know what is going on in Dearborn.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I know what we're getting, I've been here since 2004 transfer from St. Louis. I've seen how they hired a bunch for a launch and then cut by nov. We have workers sitting on park benches entire shifts. They're taking what was 2 person jobs making them 1, 3 people in repair holes only 1 knowing how to do repairs 2 milking the clock. Union reps talking out both sides of their mouth yet all of them clueless as to what to expect with retooling. It was told to us in Nov at a meeting C crew will be phased out. Half of what the company does here doesn't make sense. Other then how to do sub pay they haven't said anything about how they're going to bring everyone back for launch. We're 3 weeks away.

Just now, Ididntdoit said:

I found the answer for you in our 2015 contract. 900 mill investment plus 250 jobs at each plant, they're calling 1 bill cause it looks better to the media. 

They did the same thing at MAP. Said $700mil investment but they bumped it to $1bil late 2017. I think that was because retooling cost was more than the initial estimate though.