Chicago Auto Show

Is Ford doing the Escape unveil at an autoshow or individual event? I thought it would of been at Chicago but the only thing we got was the SD. It's crazy to think it will be out at the end of the year and we haven't seen an official view of it. I mean we pretty much know what it looks like because of spy shots. I want to know about the hybrid.

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

Ford rarely has much at the Chicago Autoshow, despite it being the nations largest show. 

Back in the day it used to be used for SVT unveilings or concept cars (was looking at Christies acutions of Ford concepts yesterday-I was amazed at how much of them went for!)

Maybe we will see the Escape and the Corsair unveiled at NYC?

I'm going to assume since the Bronco isn't going to launch till late 2020-we might see at the LA Auto Show in concept form. 

28 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Back in the day it used to be used for SVT unveilings or concept cars

Yup! Before then, Chicago was where they revealed the mother of all debuts, the 1986 Taurus and Sable, back in 1985! I actually flew out for the day just to go to the show from NJ while in college! Chicago slowly lost its stature over time, and now if Ford shows any thing there it tends to be truck related. Being 8 miles from NYC I’m happy to see the NY show has kept its importance and for Lincoln, has risen to be their top show for big debuts. 

59 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Back in the day it used to be used for SVT unveilings or concept cars (was looking at Christies acutions of Ford concepts yesterday-I was amazed at how much of them went for!)

Maybe we will see the Escape and the Corsair unveiled at NYC?

I'm going to assume since the Bronco isn't going to launch till late 2020-we might see at the LA Auto Show in concept form. 

I think the Puma too.

Vehicle introductions at 2019 Chicago Auto Show. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Auto_Show

4 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Vehicle introductions at 2019 Chicago Auto Show. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Auto_Show

So the vast majority of them are just badge/trim jobs. 

I went to the Chicago Auto Show on Saturday. Ford had a GT out front(barricaded off), and that was the most popular display at Ford. Second sadly was the stand giving out free tote bags. There were people crawling over the pickups and Mustangs and they were mostly ignoring the rest of the cars. The level of interest in the crossovers was in between. Lincoln had the Aviator and coach/suicide door Continental and those, along with the Navigator, drew most of the attention at Lincoln.

As for the competition, the crossovers all look similar with few standing out, and pickups are all trying to out-grill each other. Mazda had a nice display for the 30th anniversary Miata, and the 3 hatchback looks decent in person. Also liked the Jetta GLI. Nissan had a pop-top camper version(aftermarket conversion) of their NV small van. Ford should try something similar with the Transit Connect. Jeep had a decent crowd. The Gladiator looked good, even though it's not my cup of tea. There was a barricaded off display of exotics that drew a big crowd to see Bentleys, Rolls-Royces, Ferraris, McLarens, and a Bugatti. As for Cadillac, aside from the Escalades, the were more people ogling a '59 Eldorado than the current models combined.

Edited by AGR
  • Like 1

I was there yesterday and the Ford display was dead compared to years past, and other makes like Chevy and Toyota. Rangers were ignored, after all the hype. Lots of 'on the way out' products, like Explorer, Escape, Fiesta, and Fusion, just sitting. 2020 Explorer off in a corner, locked, and no sign promoting it.

The Aviator and Nautilus at least had a small crowd around it, and people wanted to sit in the "suicide door" Continental, but was roped off.

Just my observation, but the new Chevy Blazer turntable had more eyeballs and the one on the floor had people waiting to sit in it. Sure, it's not BOF, but average UV buyers don't care, well known names sometime bring in bodies. Cadillac's cars were ignored in favor of the 'Slade and XT's.