CHEVROLET COLORADO VS. FORD RANGER VS. HONDA RIDGELINE VS. TOYOTA TACOMA: DOWN ON THE FARM

9 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Doug DeMuro is 6'3".   He'd have a hard time in the back of any Supercab truck.  Show me a picture of him getting into a SuperCab Canyonado.  I'm sure it'll be just as bad.

Let's be fair too - it looks like you could easily move that front seat forward more and still be comfortable.

3 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Help me understand where all the "hate" for the Ridgeline comes from.  In 2-3 years when I retire, I'm going to lose my company car,  and need to buy a multi-purpose vehicle.  I have a fairly narrow garage, so something as simple as a CC F-150 won't fit.

Here is my criteria;

4WD or AWD

Needs to comfortably tow my 2500# boat

Needs to be able to occasionally bring home 4x8 sheet goods for a short distance, tailgate down/hatch open is fine

(Hopefully) seats 4 adults

NOT $50K  (don't need/want leather seats, etc)

So far, the leading candidate is the Traverse, will wait to see how the new Explorer prices out. But, the Ridgeline fits the bill. The 2019 Ranger Crew Cab was nearly impossible for me to sit in the back seat of.

HRG

It's not hate. It (MT) basically put in a product that overlaps a the midsize truck segment.  One of them is not like the others. Trucks are made to be tough to handle abuse, even if the majority of folks don't abuse them.

2 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

I’ve heard people say the room you have back there is closer to an Escape or Focus, but I haven’t been in one myself to check it out. Adults can sit in the back or those, but it’s definitely tight. Now the SuperCab Ranger? Yeah that’s 10 and under only. ?

I've said it a few times, it's not as small as a Focus, but not as big as a Fusion, it's somewhere in the middle. 

59 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Let's be fair too - it looks like you could easily move that front seat forward more and still be comfortable.

I think he left the driver's seat in a reasonable position a driver would have it at when he did his video. That's what I did when I first got into the back of a Ranger. 

Also, that's the supercab, not even a child would be comfortable back there. Super Crew is much bigger. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

The hate comes from people who think buying full size pickup trucks to commute to their air conditioned offices makes them special.

I doubt that anyone actually hates the Ridgeline. That would imply that truck people actually give it any thought at all, which is an absurd premise.

What most of us hate is the jake-legged peckerwoods at "car" magazines acting like it's a real truck instead of the sawed-off minivan that it is. And worse yet, trying to claim that it is the end-all and be-all of trucks, when it's less capable of doing truck tasks than a Panther with a trailer hitch. Hell, I bet you could carry more bags of mulch in the trunk of a Vic...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

I doubt that anyone actually hates the Ridgeline. That would imply that truck people actually give it any thought at all, which is an absurd premise.

What most of us hate is the jake-legged peckerwoods at "car" magazines acting like it's a real truck instead of the sawed-off minivan that it is. And worse yet, trying to claim that it is the end-all and be-all of trucks, when it's less capable of doing truck tasks than a Panther with a trailer hitch. Hell, I bet you could carry more bags of mulch in the trunk of a Vic...

I once carried 15 40lb bags of top soil in the back of my 2008 Focus.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

FYI: this doesn't need its own thread, but I bought the Ford floor-liners for my Ranger because I really like the factory ones in my wife's Edge.  They are great! (but don't pay MSRP! Use the buy locally link on Ford's accessory site and find a dealer with them discounted....doesn't matter where they are, they ship them to you).

Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

14 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

Exactly-the fawning over Japanese makes like Honda is pretty boring these days. A Ridgeline wouldn't last doing these types of jobs day in, day out-its perfectly fine for Home Depot/dump runs. Its not really a lifestyle or mid-size pickup, more of a light duty pickup or a chopped off minivan like you stated. 

With that said, I'm interested in Ford's take with their compact Pickup they are planning on doing...and how they will market it. 

23 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Ok, fair point to a degree. You might, once in a lifetime, see a Ridgeline offroading on a trail. Where as the Ranger, Colorado, and Taco are much more likely to be abused like this. The majority of truck owners don't abuse their trucks like that. However,   Ranger, Colorado, and Taco (and even the Frontier), are real trucks that can take the abuse if you decide you want to. I am not so sure about the minivan truck.

Can and Do are two different things. I wholeheartedly agree the Ridgeline is a joke, but it's serves its purpose. 

The others are woefully over engineered for what most people do with them. Same with half tons. People don't need to tow 8000# at 100mph, but they want to be able to.

15 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

To be honest the Colorado/Canyon are more refined than the Ranger or Tacoma. I not so “pro-Ford” that I can’t be honest about these things. Even though I’m not a GM fan I can give credit where credit is due and they deserve credit for putting a lot of effort in totally re-doing that truck for the North American market. It’s a class leading midsize if you leave the  Honda Ridgeline out because I don’t really consider it a real pickup truck. If you can take the blue blinders off you can easily tell GM put more effort into making a North American friendly truck versus the Ranger.

Now with that said, I ordered a Ranger because I’m 100% brand loyal to Ford. I wouldn’t consider buying anything else. If someone was not brand loyal and asked me what midsize they should check out first I’d tell them the Colorado/Canyon. Although I’d give Ford the advantage as far as power train is concerned, I’d give the Colorado/Canyon the advantage for packaging, ride and handling, and overall aesthetics.

I had a Colorado rental recently and I thought it was a nice truck. It road well and seemed to have plenty of power. It had the typical GM interior, which I’m not a fan of. I think the trucks look ok, however I do not like how the beltline of the rear doors curves up, instead of being more angular in nature. That characteristic has always bothered  me.  Fortunately the Ranger does not do that nearly as much. I will have to test drive the new Ranger to compare the two. 

I know the Colorado can withstand a decent crash since I wrecked the my rental unit. I’m sure the rental company didn’t appreciate that much?

• Like 1

Considering when the T6 project commenced back in 2006, the room required for Supercab and Supercrew rear seat passengers was based on the needs of mostly Asian and ROW buyers. Most Aussie Ranger buyers pick the crew cab as the Supercrew s just too cramped for anything more than a couple of young kids. I think it would be in Ford's interest to add a bit more wheelbase and rear leg room to  the next gen super Cab and Super crew - that would make it a lot roomier and probably encourage more people to consider the Ranger.

On 2/7/2019 at 2:13 PM, tbone said:

I know the Colorado can withstand a decent crash since I wrecked the my rental unit. I’m sure the rental company didn’t appreciate that much?

Oh come on, you can't drop that bomb and not give us the story...?

U can build a kid in the back seat of a b302 as that is a proven fact....so my only real criteria in a truck is can this feat be accomplished in these small tuna can trucks (they all suck size wise)....i have never been convinced hence why pay full size truck price for a tuna can size small truck....i hope ranger has success...but pushing an asian design from 2009 on us may not have been the best move....i would have rather ford wait till it was done right...but everybody just had to have a small courier again and so here we are......complaint about soft touch dash is just comical...who the f cares about that in a truck......please ford dont put this crap in the bronc...we want a real bronc and not foo foo crap of no value..

9 minutes ago, snooter said:

.but pushing an asian design from 2009 on us may not have been the best move....

Designed in Australia, not Asia.......and its from 2011 not 2009

Ford NA pulled out of T6 Ranger project because it wanted a smaller truck, now you say its too small....LOL.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I'm almost 2 weeks in and I can't even begin to tell you how much I absolutely love this truck.  I'll be writing a complete detailed review sometime this week. (spoiler: it's good).

I should really do a 4 month review on our Edge as well.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Anthony said:

I'm almost 2 weeks in and I can't even begin to tell you how much I absolutely love this truck.  I'll be writing a complete detailed review sometime this week. (spoiler: it's good).

I should really do a 4 month review on our Edge as well.

I've driven diesel versions of the T6 Ranger for years  in Australia, describing over time is useless, you actually have to experience it first hand.

So jealous of you guys getting the 2.3 EB & 10AT in the Ranger,  and the 2.0 EB & 8AT in Edge those engine as high series options to our diesel only vehicles  would have added a lot of sales.  The diesels are great but people who prefer the lower cost of gasoline engines are missing out...

Edited by jpd80