CHEVROLET COLORADO VS. FORD RANGER VS. HONDA RIDGELINE VS. TOYOTA TACOMA: DOWN ON THE FARM

21 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Any comparison that includes the Rigdeline in these truck test automatically gets disqualified in my mind. I don't care if they want to market it as a mid size truck. It's a mini van in a truck costume. Honda knows their audience though. Anyone who buys this isn't going to take this thing on any anything worse than a dirt road, haul anymore than a few bags of mulch, or tow more than a jetski.

Help me understand where all the "hate" for the Ridgeline comes from.  In 2-3 years when I retire, I'm going to lose my company car,  and need to buy a multi-purpose vehicle.  I have a fairly narrow garage, so something as simple as a CC F-150 won't fit.

Here is my criteria;

4WD or AWD

Needs to comfortably tow my 2500# boat

Needs to be able to occasionally bring home 4x8 sheet goods for a short distance, tailgate down/hatch open is fine

(Hopefully) seats 4 adults

NOT $50K  (don't need/want leather seats, etc)

So far, the leading candidate is the Traverse, will wait to see how the new Explorer prices out. But, the Ridgeline fits the bill. The 2019 Ranger Crew Cab was nearly impossible for me to sit in the back seat of.

HRG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

If Ford was starting with such a (by all reports) substandard vehicle, they probably would've done that, too, but they were starting from a much better base. I'm also betting that the 2003 Colorado wasn't nearly as refined as the current model, let alone this first-swing Ranger.

The 2015 Colorado launched at the LA auto show in November 2013. Ford had to have some idea by that point they really needed to get into the midsize market unless they still had the “we’re gonna put everyone into loaded F150 SuperCrews because the Ranger is about the same size and we can make mega bucks selling everyone an F150” idea. After seeing a current F150 parked next to a new Ranger I want to have some of the stuff that Ford Exec Derrick Kuzak was smoking at that time when he said T6 would not come to North America because it’s about the same size as the F150. ? Although the new Ranger is much larger then the old one it’s still a lot smaller then the F150.

The reason I bring up this back story is it’s evident that Ford had a lot of time to make T6 just right for our market, but it still seems to be a rushed effort. It’s like they tried everything they could do not to enter this market hoping it would fizzle out and then at the eleventh hour decided to jump in. It’s not that the new Ranger is bad. I wouldn’t order one if I felt it was bad even though I’ve been waiting forever for this size of truck from Ford. It’s just not what it should have been with years and years of time to get it right. Toyota will soon be launching a redesigned Tacoma and you know a new Colorado is coming soon. It sounds like Ford will also be doing a major update in 3-4 model years, but many times you get judged by your first effort. The Ranger will sell well. There is a lot of pent up demand from Ranger or Ford loyalists, but after you fill them up you’ve got to get conquest customers. Is the Ranger good enough to get that Colorado/Canyon, Tacoma, Ridgeline owner to leave those models and buy a Ranger? I’m not sure at least not with the current model.

I’m excited to get my Ranger because I’m a Ford guy and the size of my F150 drives me crazy living in a mountain town with narrow streets and small parking spaces, but I wish they would have done a little more with it. Did a little more with the styling, interior and suspension tuning. It wouldn’t have taken much just to give it a little more refinement. GM took those little extra steps with the Colorado and Ford didn’t. It shows from the styling of the sheet metal and slightly larger interior space to the ride and handling.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Help me understand where all the "hate" for the Ridgeline comes from.  In 2-3 years when I retire, I'm going to lose my company car,  and need to buy a multi-purpose vehicle.  I have a fairly narrow garage, so something as simple as a CC F-150 won't fit.

Here is my criteria;

4WD or AWD

Needs to be able to occasionally bring home 4x8 sheet goods for a short distance, tailgate down/hatch open is fine

So far, the leading candidate is the Traverse, will wait to see how the new Explorer prices out. But, the Ridgeline fits the bill. The 2019 Ranger Crew Cab was nearly impossible for me to sit in the back seat of.

HRG

It's a crossover with an open bed and it's fine as a personal vehicle to do the things you listed especially compared to a Traverse.   The problem is when it gets compared to BOF trucks that do all the truck things better - payload, towing, offroading.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Here is my criteria;

4WD or AWD

HRG

The hate comes from people who think buying full size pickup trucks to commute to their air conditioned offices makes them special.

Honda Ridgeline Sport AWD meet all your criteria for under $40k. Even the top grade Black Edition AWD that Motor Trend tested is under $50k.

12 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

The 2015 Colorado launched at the LA auto show in November 2013. Ford had to have some idea by that point they really needed to get into the midsize market unless they still had the “we’re gonna put everyone into loaded F150 SuperCrews because the Ranger is about the same size and we can make mega bucks selling everyone an F150” idea. After seeing a current F150 parked next to a new Ranger I want to have some of the stuff that Ford Exec Derrick Kuzak was smoking at that time when he said T6 would not come to North America because it’s about the same size as the F150. ? Although the new Ranger is much larger then the old one it’s still a lot smaller then the F150.

The reason I bring up this back story is it’s evident that Ford had a lot of time to make T6 just right for our market, but it still seems to be a rushed effort. It’s like they tried everything they could do not to enter this market hoping it would fizzle out and then at the eleventh hour decided to jump in. It’s not that the new Ranger is bad. I wouldn’t order one if I felt it was bad even though I’ve been waiting forever for this size of truck from Ford. It’s just not what it should have been with years and years of time to get it right. Toyota will soon be launching a redesigned Tacoma and you know a new Colorado is coming soon. It sounds like Ford will also be doing a major update in 3-4 model years, but many times you get judged by your first effort. The Ranger will sell well. There is a lot of pent up demand from Ranger or Ford loyalists, but after you fill them up you’ve got to get conquest customers. Is the Ranger good enough to get that Colorado/Canyon, Tacoma, Ridgeline owner to leave those models and buy a Ranger? I’m not sure at least not with the current model.

I’m excited to get my Ranger because I’m a Ford guy and the size of my F150 drives me crazy living in a mountain town with narrow streets and small parking spaces, but I wish they would have done a little more with it. Did a little more with the styling, interior and suspension tuning. It wouldn’t have taken much just to give it a little more refinement. GM took those little extra steps with the Colorado and Ford didn’t. It shows from the styling of the sheet metal and slightly larger interior space to the ride and handling.

It took at least a couple of years to confirm that the midsized market was open again and by that time Ford NA had already opted out of the new T6.  Fields rampant product/cost cutting may have also played a part.  It was poor planning to restrict T6 to ROW requirements even if NA wasn't showing current interest.  The last 2 years Ford has way more projects than it can develop at the same time, so they have to pick and choose.   E.g. if they weren't working on a hybrid  and BEV F150 they could have probably invested more in Ranger but those are probably more important in the long run.

It's almost never a case of "we shouldn't do that".   It almost always comes down to "we can only do 12 out of 15 things - which 3 get delayed or cut?".

36 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Here is my criteria;

4WD or AWD

HRG

That sitting 4 adults comfortably is important.  The Honda dealer here didn't have a truck optioned like I wanted when I was looking so I didn't bother. Really weird optioned and strange wheel combination trucks.  For what I use a truck for the Ridgeline would meet my needs.  I call my Tacoma a CarTruck anyway.  It's not really that good at any one thing, except I'm comfortable driving it and to me it is quiet.  There are rumblings that the next generation of Tacoma will be unibody too.  I don't know how that would come out. 

Edited by barney9014

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

It took at least a couple of years to confirm that the midsized market was open again and by that time Ford NA had already opted out of the new T6.  Fields rampant product/cost cutting may have also played a part.  It was poor planning to restrict T6 to ROW requirements even if NA wasn't showing current interest.  The last 2 years Ford has way more projects than it can develop at the same time, so they have to pick and choose.   E.g. if they weren't working on a hybrid  and BEV F150 they could have probably invested more in Ranger but those are probably more important in the long run.

It's almost never a case of "we shouldn't do that".   It almost always comes down to "we can only do 12 out of 15 things - which 3 get delayed or cut?".

Yes I understand there are probably several reasons why they had to cut some corners and rush it a bit to get it to market. I will give them credit for doing a good job with the power train combo. Just the fact that they are using an F150 transmission in it gives me a lot of confidence that won’t be a weak spot. Hopefully they will learn some lessons when it comes to future product planning. Reacting to market changes quickly has never been a Ford strength. Hopefully going forward that’s something they can improve on.

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Just curious-why is this an issue, if your the driving it all the time?!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

Yes I understand there are probably several reasons why they had to cut some corners and rush it a bit to get it to market. I will give them credit for doing a good job with the power train combo. Just the fact that they are using an F150 transmission in it gives me a lot of confidence that won’t be a weak spot. Hopefully they will learn some lessons when it comes to future product planning. Reacting to market changes quickly has never been a Ford strength. Hopefully going forward that’s something they can improve on.

I hope that the bulk of the hybrid, BEV and new utilities ramp up will be done within the next 12-24 months and they can focus more on existing product updates and refreshes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Because not everyone I know is the size of a 10 year old girl.  I would not expect a friend or family member to sit in a seat that I wouldn't.

HRG

If back seat room is a big concern in a pickup I’d be buying an F150 SuperCrew. The midsize trucks are always going to have a tighter back seat unless they stretch them out a few more inches. If you did that you’d end up with a full size wheelbase. With that said, from every review I’ve seen the Ranger Super Crew can fit rear adults just fine. Maybe not someone who’s 6’5” 250+ lbs. but certainly a lot larger then a 10 year old girl.

4 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

If back seat room is a big concern in a pickup I’d be buying an F150 SuperCrew. The midsize trucks are always going to have a tighter back seat unless they stretch them out a few more inches. If you did that you’d end up with a full size wheelbase. With that said, from every review I’ve seen the Ranger Super Crew can fit rear adults just fine. Maybe not someone who’s 6’5” 250+ lbs. but certainly a lot larger then a 10 year old girl.

I'll admit, the back seat is a bit snug for an adult.  It is livable, but it is not as spacious as a true mid-size vehicle like the Edge or Fusion.

2 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I'll admit, the back seat is a bit snug for an adult.  It is livable, but it is not as spacious as a true mid-size vehicle like the Edge or Fusion.

I’ve heard people say the room you have back there is closer to an Escape or Focus, but I haven’t been in one myself to check it out. Adults can sit in the back or those, but it’s definitely tight. Now the SuperCab Ranger? Yeah that’s 10 and under only. ?

17 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

I’ve heard people say the room you have back there is closer to an Escape or Focus, but I haven’t been in one myself to check it out. Adults can sit in the back or those, but it’s definitely tight. Now the SuperCab Ranger? Yeah that’s 10 and under only. ?

I fit fine in the back of a 2013+ Escape at 6'2 230ish-I haven't been in a new Ranger yet. 

a 1998 Ranger SuperCab is like being stuck in a Mecury Space Capsel! It sucks! Thankfully I only do it for 15-20 minutes a time, so I can let my Father and Father-in-law sit up front and they are both 70+...my Father in law has an awesome dump that is open 7 days week...so I use it when I can. 

20 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I fit fine in the back of a 2013+ Escape at 6'2 230ish-I haven't been in a new Ranger yet. 

a 1998 Ranger SuperCab is like being stuck in a Mecury Space Capsel! It sucks! Thankfully I only do it for 15-20 minutes a time, so I can let my Father and Father-in-law sit up front and they are both 70+...my Father in law has an awesome dump that is open 7 days week...so I use it when I can. 

Believe it or not, the 2019 SuperCab is even worse than the old ones because the seats face forward and sit straight up

...and dont let the image fool you, you have no room at all back there.  Watch Doug DeMuro's review....it is funny as hell trying to see him fit back there.

19_FRD_RGR_45220.jpeg.8fce0939f0be139dadca822f0e08d32d.jpeg

Edited by Anthony

6 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Believe it or not, the 2019 SuperCab is even worse than the old ones because the seats face forward and sit straight up

...and dont let the image fool you, you have no room at all back there.  Watch Doug DeMuro's review....it is funny as hell trying to see him fit back there.

19_FRD_RGR_45220.jpeg.8fce0939f0be139dadca822f0e08d32d.jpeg

Damn...that is pretty bad-Better off getting the 4 door!

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Because not everyone I know is the size of a 10 year old girl.  I would not expect a friend or family member to sit in a seat that I wouldn't.

HRG

I sat in a SuperCrew over the weekend, it's not the grand Canyon like the F-150, but I fit back there.

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Help me understand where all the "hate" for the Ridgeline comes from.  

Because it looks like they took a sawzall to an Odessey Van. It looks worse than the first generation.

It is a capable vehicle, kudos to anyone that wants one. I'll never have one.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

The hate comes from people who think buying full size pickup trucks to commute to their air conditioned offices makes them special.

Honda Ridgeline Sport AWD meet all your criteria for under $40k. Even the top grade Black Edition AWD that Motor Trend tested is under $50k.

Yes, but is it a luxury vehicle??:lol2:

Edited by twintornados
  • Haha 1