New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
blazerdude20

RAM Multifunction Tailgate

Ram has their multifunction tailgate to compete with GMC’s integrated step.  How long until Ford gets in the mix? 

I think the side swings option option is a great idea. I had this on my old Ridgeline and it was very helpful for grabbing things out near the front of the bed.  

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/06/ram-multifunction-tailgate-pickup-trucks-93vv7xy/#slide-7514089

I read this as malfunctioning tailgate

its been a long night 

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I read this as malfunctioning tailgate

its been a long night 

Won’t be long until that’s accurate. 

Oh!     What a novelty!.    

But.... really?   I think I´ve seen that tailgate somewhere else...

img8841_37723.jpg

ford-country-squire-wagons-offered-more-

😂

I loved the tailgate on our 83. Caprice Estate (which was my first car / hand me down). 

We saw the patent for this a while ago, no?  Makes more sense than the GMC man-step. How does that one work with a trailer hitch?

This picture right here shows why the RAM tailgate shows that simple = better.  The GMC tailgate is like a swiss army knife of stuff you'll never need but you still need to reach over it to get stuff in or out of the bed..

ram-multifunction-tailgate-1.jpg

Edited by Anthony

What? No jokes about the built-in hand warmer?

I think the line going down the tailgate looks a bit dumb, although I do wish ford would implement something similar to the ridgelines tailgate.

Why 60/40?  It makes sense for seats so you can fit 2 people and cargo but here a 50/50 split seems it would work just as well and look better.

This is far better than the GMC solution.  Will be interesting to see Ford's version.

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why 60/40?  It makes sense for seats so you can fit 2 people and cargo but here a 50/50 split seems it would work just as well and look better.

My 2 cents, the 60/40 split allowed the position of the handle and logo in the center. If the split line was on-center, we'd be talking about the off-center handle.

HRG

28 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

My 2 cents, the 60/40 split allowed the position of the handle and logo in the center. If the split line was on-center, we'd be talking about the off-center handle.

An excellent point.

27 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

The split could run north/south down the middle of the gate, with the handle/logo integrated attached to one half while concealing the latch on the other. 

The Ram version, as many have said, makes much more sense in the real world than the GMC version. 

Love the side swinging option!  This is one of those 'why didn't someone invent it sooner?' things.  Much better than GM's tailgate!

And the 60/40 split makes sense for those who tow.  50% may be too long to open without hitting the front of the trailer, but 40% would allow it to swing open and load stuff in.  That's a great idea, especially when towing a fifth wheel.  It allows you to load stuff you may not be able to load over the tailgate.

$1k seems a bit steep though.

Ram Multifunction Tailgate

Ram Multifunction Tailgate

Here's their step implementation too.

I wonder how a combo of the GMC and this would look - with a cutline all the way across, not just the middle like the GMC.  I guess there'd be two cut lines, though.

It'll be interesting to see what Ford comes up with to respond.

A better option would be something like these disappearing doors for the tailgate. The tailgate would just completely disappear making the bed much more accessible without having to worry about a 4 ft tailgate sticking out. The engineering is probably pretty complicated, but it’d be cool.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/rotary-drop-disappearing-car-doors-also-drop-jaws/

bmw z1 doors

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-the-bmw-z1s-awesome-sliding-doors-worked-1828685081

The disappearing door concept wouldn't work well as soon as you got a bunch of debris on "gate".  I would think that would make it more likely to jam things up.

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

The disappearing door concept wouldn't work well as soon as you got a bunch of debris on "gate".  I would think that would make it more likely to jam things up.

I thought it'd be interesting if the bed could slide into the bed walls somehow.

I think the notched bumper ends on the GM trucks is a simple idea that does the trick.