RAM Multifunction Tailgate

blazerdude20

Ram has their multifunction tailgate to compete with GMC’s integrated step.  How long until Ford gets in the mix? 

I think the side swings option option is a great idea. I had this on my old Ridgeline and it was very helpful for grabbing things out near the front of the bed.  

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/06/ram-multifunction-tailgate-pickup-trucks-93vv7xy/#slide-7514089

This picture right here shows why the RAM tailgate shows that simple = better.  The GMC tailgate is like a swiss army knife of stuff you'll never need but you still need to reach over it to get stuff in or out of the bed..

ram-multifunction-tailgate-1.jpg

Edited by Anthony

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why 60/40?  It makes sense for seats so you can fit 2 people and cargo but here a 50/50 split seems it would work just as well and look better.

My 2 cents, the 60/40 split allowed the position of the handle and logo in the center. If the split line was on-center, we'd be talking about the off-center handle.

HRG

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

My 2 cents, the 60/40 split allowed the position of the handle and logo in the center. If the split line was on-center, we'd be talking about the off-center handle.

HRG

The split could run north/south down the middle of the gate, with the handle/logo integrated attached to one half while concealing the latch on the other. 

The Ram version, as many have said, makes much more sense in the real world than the GMC version. 

Love the side swinging option!  This is one of those 'why didn't someone invent it sooner?' things.  Much better than GM's tailgate!

And the 60/40 split makes sense for those who tow.  50% may be too long to open without hitting the front of the trailer, but 40% would allow it to swing open and load stuff in.  That's a great idea, especially when towing a fifth wheel.  It allows you to load stuff you may not be able to load over the tailgate.

$1k seems a bit steep though.

A better option would be something like these disappearing doors for the tailgate. The tailgate would just completely disappear making the bed much more accessible without having to worry about a 4 ft tailgate sticking out. The engineering is probably pretty complicated, but it’d be cool.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/rotary-drop-disappearing-car-doors-also-drop-jaws/

bmw z1 doors

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-the-bmw-z1s-awesome-sliding-doors-worked-1828685081

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

The disappearing door concept wouldn't work well as soon as you got a bunch of debris on "gate".  I would think that would make it more likely to jam things up.

I thought it'd be interesting if the bed could slide into the bed walls somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

I think all this multi functional tailgate stuff is a gimmick. Although the all have some “cool factor”, they really are an advertising gimmick. Sure it has some pluses in certain situations but imo over all it wouldn’t make me sway from one brand to another. Rams gate is simple but useable. GMC is ridiculous, it reminds me of the retractable roof on the envoy, Over complicated and didn’t seem to get much attention from buyers. Gm kills me with all the man step BS. Now they are like look at our gate it’s overly complicated because we couldn’t do a man step, we made fun of a good concept that secretly like, so we must go beyond. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

I think all this multi functional tailgate stuff is a gimmick. Although the all have some “cool factor”, they really are an advertising gimmick. Sure it has some pluses in certain situations but imo over all it wouldn’t make me sway from one brand to another. Rams gate is simple but useable. GMC is ridiculous, it reminds me of the retractable roof on the envoy, Over complicated and didn’t seem to get much attention from buyers. Gm kills me with all the man step BS. Now they are like look at our gate it’s overly complicated because we couldn’t do a man step, we made fun of a good concept that secretly like, so we must go beyond. 

or the All wheel steer they had for a few years on GM trucks?  Can't remember if that was GMC only or Chevy.  I'm thinking GMC.

• Like 1