NEW FORD F-SERIES SUPER DUTY PICKUP RAISES BAR AGAIN WITH NEXT-LEVEL CAPABILITY, POWER AND TECHNOLOGY

19 hours ago, Fgts said:

Something tells me the 7.3 isn't going to be inexpensive in which the 6.2 is sticking around, how much of the upgrade will it be over the 6.2?.

Also for Ram a production 7.x gas engine option maybe in the works and for GMs 6.6 remember it's a 6.0 replacement not a 8100 replacement, in other words is a gas GM big block is in the works?.

How much GM pay you for that spin job you just did?

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2019 at 1:53 PM, Fgts said:

Something tells me the 7.3 isn't going to be inexpensive in which the 6.2 is sticking around, how much of the upgrade will it be over the 6.2?.

A small premium compared to paying in excess of $8K for the 6.7 Powerstroke across the whole F Series range.

What will be interesting is the price dynamic of Ram 2500/3500 6.6V 8 Versus what happens with F250/F350  6.2V 8 & 7.3 V8.

The 6.2 V8 Boss stays with entry leader 6-speed auto and optional 10-speed auto, the 6.6 V8 may become man in the middle in respect to where the Fords are positioned but perhaps the Focus for GM is pitching to GM buyers more than poaching from Ford..

If Ram needs an engine bigger than 6.4 liters and nothing is announced this season, then it will be officially behind the game...

Also for Ram a production 7.x gas engine option maybe in the works and for GMs 6.6 remember it's a 6.0 replacement not a 8100 replacement, in other words is a gas GM big block is in the works?.

Interesting approach by GM, I'd say that GM is being economical by extending the existing LS engine architecture over a clean sheet design.

Edited by jpd80

On 2/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, jpd80 said:

The 6.2 V8 Boss stays with entry leader 6-speed auto and optional 10-speed auto, the 6.6 V8 may become man in the middle in respect to where the Fords are positioned but perhaps the Focus for GM is pitching to GM buyers more than poaching from Ford..

Don't know, GM haven't had a factory large-bore engine offered since '10, OTOH there's the Silverado MD that will go against the F450+ and having a V10 replacement helps.

If Ram needs an engine bigger than 6.4 liters and nothing is announced this season, then it will be officially behind the game...

FWIW I heard the large-bore Hemi will be 426 CID or 7.2 liters and 3 versions of it (1 for Ram truck duty, 2 for the LXs/sport truck).

Interesting approach by GM, I'd say that GM is being economical by extending the existing LS engine architecture over a clean sheet design.

It's said the 6.6 is LT based.

IMO I'd think the 7.3 will handle all Ford HD/MD applications.

Edited by Fgts
  • Like 1

FCA is going to need to do something ASAP with their 6.4L HEMI problem. The current 6.2L Ford outperforms it both loaded and empty and while loaded even the ancient GM 6.0L Vortec sometimes outperforms it. The new high GCWR Ram gassers are still going be stuck with a 6-speed transmission while the equivalent Fords are moving to 10 speeds.

Edited by RPF

On 2/6/2019 at 10:53 PM, Fgts said:

I am being told internally that they are shooting for a $1,400 premium over the 6.2.

9 minutes ago, snooter said:

There is no hemi problem......

Maybe not in the Hellcat but there definitely is in the RAM. It's going to be painfully obvious when the journalists get a hold of a 6.4L RAM and run it against the 6.6L GM and 7.3L Ford. They need to get their 7.2L variant out ASAP and not give it the same issues they stuck into the 6.4L.

Edited by RPF

4 hours ago, Fgts said:

1. Don't know, GM haven't had a factory large-bore engine offered since '10, OTOH there's the Silverado MD that will go against the F450+ and having a V10 replacement helps.

2. FWIW I heard the large-bore Hemi will be 426 CID or 7.2 liters and 3 versions of it (1 for Ram truck duty, 2 for the LXs/sport truck).

3. It's said the 6.6 is LT based.

4. IMO I'd think the 7.3 will handle all Ford HD/MD applications.

1. At least now GM has a decent engine to pitch to 2500,  3500and 4500 buyers, the Medium Duty trucks should get by OK too, it's balanced without being over the top.

2. Thanks for the intel on the bigger Hemi, very interesting.....

3. Sorry, that's sloppy old me getting my LS and LT mixed up

4. The 7.3 will be brilliant but I can imagine  a group of buyers that use F250 as a shopping trolley buying a 6.2 and 10-speed.....something for everyone.

Edited by jpd80