NEW FORD F-SERIES SUPER DUTY PICKUP RAISES BAR AGAIN WITH NEXT-LEVEL CAPABILITY, POWER AND TECHNOLOGY

23 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Pleasantly surprised that the 7.3L is also going into the F-250. Most of the rumors had this engine only being used in the same applications as the 6.8L. 

I was also surprised about it going in the F250.  Different, more strict emission levels that the F350 and above, IIRC.   I think the 6.2L will be phased out, so they have no choice but put it in the F250

6 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

I was also surprised about it going in the F250.  Different, more strict emission levels that the F350 and above, IIRC.   I think the 6.2L will be phased out, so they have no choice but put it in the F250

I don't know about the 6.2L being phased out.  I doubt they would have taken the time and expense to calibrate the 10 speed behind the 6.2L if it was going away any time soon.

• Like 1

The 6.2 is very popular in F250 and the 10-speed auto will make that even more so, the 7.3 just gives the SD buyers more option between the 6.2 and paying for the 6.7 Powerstroke...I think this is a very good move as it addresses a long standing issue with truck buyers.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I thought the 6.2L continues with the 6 speed.  What I think will happen is the 6R140 goes away completely, and the 6.2L gets the 6R100 Torq-Shift G exclusively.  The 10R140 is actually based on the Ford/GM 10 speed in the F-150, BUT important to note it only shares basic design, no parts.

9 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

I thought the 6.2L continues with the 6 speed.  What I think will happen is the 6R140 goes away completely, and the 6.2L gets the 6R100 Torq-Shift G exclusively.  The 10R140 is actually based on the Ford/GM 10 speed in the F-150, BUT important to note it only shares basic design, no parts.

From what I read, all models/engines are getting a 10 speed.

Edited by rmc523

Anyone else having a problem opening the Ford Media link in  the original post?

Probably not much of anything new in this article. Good to see the block has deep skirts and cross-bolted main bearing caps like most newer Ford V8 engines. Shades of the original 427 FE. Other than being much shorter, the exhaust manifolds also resemble the cast iron headers from the 427. Also interesting to see the heavy amount of external ribbing on the block.

https://www.fordnxt.com/news/the-ford-pushrod-returns-with-the-new-godzilla-7-3l-ohv-big-block/

the-return-of-the-ford-pushrod-with-the-godzilla-7-3l-ohv-big-block-2019-02-05_22-52-59_137373-960x640.jpg

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The 6.2 is very popular in F250 and the 10-speed auto will make that even more so, the 7.3 just gives the SD buyers more option between the 6.2 and paying for the 6.7 Powerstroke...I think this is a very good move as it addresses a long standing issue with truck buyers.

Unless my needs changed; I would get an F-250 with the 7.3L. I have never considered replacing my 6.8L with less torque. I have driven 6.2L's with the 6 speed and felt it was lacking over my V-10. Part of that may be because of the 4.30 gears in my truck vs 3.73 in the 6.2, as well as some of the "enhancements" my truck has received over the years. I also feel the 10 pulses per cycle was an advantage over 8 pulses. I've not seen an 8.1L GM that can out pull my truck. I'm sure this 7.3L will.

• Like 2

As a point of reference my previous 1995 F150 with the straight 6 and 5 speed manual got 13 mpg in town and 13 mpg on the highway driving steady 70 for 84 miles every day. Didn't matter.  Plus it couldn't tow itself out of a wet paper bag with the rear end it had. The factory setup was poor.  It did nothing well except look good. It was a good looking truck.  That is why I bought it, used. 

It would be interesting if solo the new F250 with the 7.3 could beat that gas mileage and also could tow a house when required.  I could even get interested as the price reduction from a Diesel purchase should be nice. This should open up some new interest.

Edited by barney9014

17 minutes ago, barney9014 said:

As a point of reference my previous 1995 F150 with the straight 6 and 5 speed manual got 13 mpg in town and 13 mpg on the highway driving steady 70 for 84 miles every day. Didn't matter.  Plus it couldn't tow itself out of a wet paper bag with the rear end it had. The factory setup was poor.  It did nothing well except look good. It was a good looking truck.  That is why I bought it, used. 

It would be interesting if solo the new F250 with the 7.3 could beat that gas mileage and also could tow a house when required.  I could even get interested as the price reduction from a Diesel purchase should be nice. This should open up some new interest.

I have a 1995 F150 set up the same - I don't even concern myself with MPG's.....it needs gas, I just fill it back up and don't even bother trying to calculate the mileage, but yeah....I would "spitball" around 13.

Edited by twintornados

Something tells me the 7.3 isn't going to be inexpensive in which the 6.2 is sticking around, how much of the upgrade will it be over the 6.2?.

Also for Ram a production 7.x gas engine option maybe in the works and for GMs 6.6 remember it's a 6.0 replacement not a 8100 replacement, in other words is a gas GM big block is in the works?.

19 minutes ago, Fgts said:

Something tells me the 7.3 isn't going to be inexpensive in which the 6.2 is sticking around, how much of the upgrade will it be over the 6.2?

There is nothing about the 7.3 that screams "expensive." It's a plain ol' iron block, not even CGI. It has one cam instead of four, and 16 valves instead of 24. There's nothing exotic about it, save the VCT. It should be significantly less expensive to build than the Boss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoonerLS said:

There is nothing about the 7.3 that screams "expensive." It's a plain ol' iron block, not even CGI. It has one cam instead of four, and 16 valves instead of 24. There's nothing exotic about it, save the VCT. It should be significantly less expensive to build than the Boss.

The Boss is SOHC and 2V, so it only has 2 cams and 16 valves, not 4 and 24.

25 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

Dunno what I was thinking about the cams, but I thought it was a 3V. You're right, though.

Mind you, a nice 3-valve head on the 6.2 with two smaller inlet ports and charge motion control valves would have done wonders for low end torque...

Edited by jpd80

8 hours ago, 351cid said:

Unless my needs changed; I would get an F-250 with the 7.3L. I have never considered replacing my 6.8L with less torque. I have driven 6.2L's with the 6 speed and felt it was lacking over my V-10. Part of that may be because of the 4.30 gears in my truck vs 3.73 in the 6.2, as well as some of the "enhancements" my truck has received over the years. I also feel the 10 pulses per cycle was an advantage over 8 pulses. I've not seen an 8.1L GM that can out pull my truck. I'm sure this 7.3L will.

From 1600 to 2500, the 6.8 has around 100 lb ft more torque on tap than the 6.2 Boss, even at 3,000 its still 50 lb ft behind and only by 4700 does the 6.2 ever match the 6.8For owners like you, it's a no contest due to the huge difference in low end torque, a 10-speed on the 6.8 would have been something but I have a feeling that the 7.3 is going to be very popular with a lot of F Truck buyers exactly because it's a proper successor to the 6.8 V10.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:59 PM, RPF said:

Some interesting tidbits...

Just like the 6.2L (and the 6.8, 5.4, 7.5, 5.8, 4.9, etc... before it), the F-250/F-350 variant of the 7.3L can not pass the MDT dyno cert. A variant with upgraded exhaust valves and an upgraded stainless steel exhaust manifolds is required to pass that test and be used in trucks with over 14K GVWR.

I looked at the TFL Truck video and remembered what you said here when I saw how many fasteners the 7.3L has holding down the exhaust manifolds

6 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

There is nothing about the 7.3 that screams "expensive." It's a plain ol' iron block, not even CGI. 

I did note a couple of area where Ford did not pinch pennies.  Forged steel crank and the deep skirt 6 bolt main.

I don't recall any mention, so are the rods powdered metal of forged steel ?