NEW FORD F-SERIES SUPER DUTY PICKUP RAISES BAR AGAIN WITH NEXT-LEVEL CAPABILITY, POWER AND TECHNOLOGY

http://www.campaign.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/02/05/new-ford-f-series-super-duty-pickup-raises-bar-again.html

An all-new Ford-designed and Ford-built 7.3-liter V8 joins the standard 6.2-liter V8 in Super Duty’s gas engine stable. The Ford-designed and Ford-built third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel V8 is upgraded to deliver more power and torque. An all-new Ford-designed and Ford-built 10-speed heavy-duty TorqShift® automatic transmission is paired with the 7.3-liter V8 and third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke® diesel V8. Ford is the only manufacturer to design and build all of its heavy-duty engine and transmission combinations – ensuring the powertrain works seamlessly with all chassis components and vehicle calibrations.

“With the addition of the 7.3-liter V8, upgrades to our 6.7-liter and the debut of an all-new 10-speed transmission, we are delivering the strongest, most capable Super Duty powertrain offerings yet,” said Mike Pruitt, Ford Super Duty chief engineer.

The 7.3-liter gas V8 engine delivers high performance in a compact package. Based on decades of commercial engine experience, this 7.3-liter is expected to be the most powerful gas V8 in its class – providing durability, ease of maintenance, and the towing and payload capability customers want. It uses an all-new cam-in-block, overhead valve architecture with cast iron block and forged steel crankshaft for maximum durability. Port injection with variable-valve timing optimizes the intake and exhaust to match performance with workloads. Oil jets cool the pistons under heavy loads.

33 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

"cam-in-block, overhead valve" = push rod !

Personally, I am shocked that Ford has walked away from OHC.  Never thought it would happen.  I dn't think there is a cost advantage for push rods over OHC.  Push rod does give you a lower engine profile, but that would really only help the E-Series.

Yes Wiz...I am going to the store to get some mango salsa to help choke down my helping of crow....

29 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Yes Wiz...I am going to the store to get some mango salsa to help choke down my helping of crow....

Me too. I never thought they would do an OHV again. But I'm ecstatic that they did!

Can't wait till the after market develops some parts for this monster. 

30 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

Can't wait till the after market develops some parts for this monster. 

Unfortunately that'll probably never happen if it doesn't come in a mustang. My guess is this motor gets the same treatment the 6.8 did - it may as well have not even existed at FRPP and the rest of the industry followed suit.

Who knows though. This is the first completely new big block V8 architecture by Detroit in 50+ years, so maybe the aftermarket wont be able to avoid it.

1 hour ago, theoldwizard said:

"cam-in-block, overhead valve" = push rod !

Personally, I am shocked that Ford has walked away from OHC.  Never thought it would happen.  I dn't think there is a cost advantage for push rods over OHC.  Push rod does give you a lower engine profile, but that would really only help the E-Series.

It sounds to me that very soon, there will be an update to E-Series that may retain the chassis, but update the cab configuration. Here is something else to ponder....could this new generation Windsor V8 beget a 5.XL V6 truck powerplant for a low cab forward variant to truly dominate the work truck world...does this V8 have applications outside of North America?

2 minutes ago, twintornados said:

...could this new generation Windsor V8 beget a 5.XL V6 truck powerplant for a low cab forward variant to truly dominate the work truck world...

Boy I like the sound of that idea! I get the idea Ford and everyone else is done with 90 degree V6s though due to the unfavorable crankshaft options. But a straight six using the same parts and basic dimensions works well from an engineering standpoint and wouldn't require additional unique parts vs the V6 (the block, crank, and cam would be unique for both the V6 or I6). I don't foresee any fitment issues in E Series since the old 300/4.9 obviously wasn't a problem.

Pleasantly surprised that the 7.3L is also going into the F-250. Most of the rumors had this engine only being used in the same applications as the 6.8L. Also good to see that they didn't use any variable displacement nonsense. Sounds like they are also using "normal" cast iron for the block and not CGI. Has anyone confirmed that? If true I wonder if it is at least higher nodular iron? 

11 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

Sounds like they are also using "normal" cast iron for the block and not CGI. Has anyone confirmed that? If true I wonder if it is at least higher nodular iron? 

In the TFL video where they are talking to Joel, a Ford engine guy, he stated iron block.  Not CGI.  And the cutaway engine doesn't look like CGI material.  I was hoping TFL would have asked him why not CGI.  Just to get Ford's take on it.

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

*cue that CGIron guy*

----

They didn't release any engine specs.  I fully expected their own 1,000 lb-ft Scorpion announcements (I'm sure it will be when they do announce it).

It'll be interesting to see what else they use the 7.3 in (E-series, etc.).

That's why Ford never announces the numbers until they're ready:  The new 1050 lb-ft Powerstroke! Be interesting what final numbers they come up with.

FYI:   When asked whether it was a coincidence that Ford released new details on the day of the Silverado HD reveal, a company spokesperson responded with simply: “I don’t know. You’ll need to ask Chevrolet.” Looking at the press release, the answer seems obvious, mainly because there’s a lot missing.

https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-super-duty-gets-big-7-3-liter-gas-engine-tor-1832357929

Edited by MY93SHO

24 minutes ago, 92merc said:

In the TFL video where they are talking to Joel, a Ford engine guy, he stated iron block.  Not CGI.  And the cutaway engine doesn't look like CGI material.  I was hoping TFL would have asked him why not CGI.  Just to get Ford's take on it.

I would be willing to bet that the "grey iron" block has more than enough strength and durability to handle the power output of the new Windsor motor with ease...by using "grey iron" Ford can do the block themselves and keep machining costs down to make the motor more profitable in a wide array of applications....think of all the applications that the V10 is currently in, including stationary power, water pumping, generator, and irrigation plant use and you'll understand why Ford didn't go with the CG Iron route with this monster....

• Like 1