I had an APPOINTMENT with my salesman.............

I was all ready to sign the order form for a Ranger, get my credit score, interest rate,  hand over a $500 deposit,   etc., etc.    The salesman spent all of 5 minutes with me.  I told him what options I wanted and he said he would call me with the cost of the vehicle.  Two days later, I still haven't heard from him!  What the heck.  I don't get it.  I'll give him a little more time but I'm almost out of patience.  Am I too harsh?   

1 minute ago, ford-boy said:

I was all ready to sign the order form for a Ranger, get my credit score, interest rate,  hand over a $500 deposit,   etc., etc.    The salesman spent all of 5 minutes with me.  I told him what options I wanted and he said he would call me with the cost of the vehicle.  Two days later, I still haven't heard from him!  What the heck.  I don't get it.  I'll give him a little more time but I'm almost out of patience.  Am I too harsh?   

Not at all, Find a new dealer. I'd have moved on after one day.

Edited by jasonj80

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not too harsh but not smart either.  There was no reason to hand them a check or walk out the door without a firm price.   Did you at least negotiate a relative price?  Invoice, Invoice plus, MSRP minus, etc?

I read that as he was ready to do all those things, not that he had done them (i.e, he was ready to buy right then, not just a tire kicker).

My mistake - I thought it said he had handed over the deposit already.

Call the salesperson - maybe he was just super busy and you got lost in the shuffle.   You can always check with the sales manager or try another dealership.

They should be willing to give you pricing over the phone.  If not then I would find another dealer.

I have already bought my wife's 2014 NEW Flex from HIM 5 years ago using FORD CREDIT.  I haven't given over anything to them yet .  He didn't WANT anything.  I had already told him I'm coming in to place the order.... I just need to know HOW MUCH?   I gotta tell ya, I've never had an experience like this trying to buy a new vehicle.  If I don't hear anything from him tomorrow,  I will go to a nearby dealer and see how they work it.   I'm ready to order.  

12 minutes ago, ford-boy said:

I have already bought my wife's 2014 NEW Flex from HIM 5 years ago using FORD CREDIT.  I haven't given over anything to them yet .  He didn't WANT anything.  I had already told him I'm coming in to place the order.... I just need to know HOW MUCH?   I gotta tell ya, I've never had an experience like this trying to buy a new vehicle.  If I don't hear anything from him tomorrow,  I will go to a nearby dealer and see how they work it.   I'm ready to order.  

Call him or the dealership.  Maybe he is sick.  Maybe yesterday was his day off (their day off is usually during the week).  Maybe he lost your number.  I tend to give the benefit of the doubt myself and don't just sit around waiting for him to call without picking up the phone to do something about it.

17 minutes ago, ford-boy said:

Can I ask why you can't just call him back?  And say "hey, didn't hear from you, have any more info?"  I get you were expecting him to call back, but he hasn't - why can't you just call?

52 minutes ago, akirby said:

BTW I have ordered vehicles like that without discussing the price but that's only because a) I was using X plan and my salesperson knew that and b) I had already looked up the X plan price.

That's what I did with my Ranger ..."X-Plan my good sir" and the red-tape gates parted. I knew what I was going to pay to the penny before I walked in the door.

To those that suggested I call the salesman....... I did.  He said that it was the last day of the month and that it gets very busy. He was just swamped.   We made another appointment for tomorrow, Friday.  It WILL be ordered then.  I've checked with two other dealers what their "dealer fee" is and in both cases it was $795.  Sheesh.  Years ago "dealer prep" was $150 or less.  Is it possible for me to get an X-Plan?  And if so, would it be better than what the dealer will offer?  The dealer is cutting about $1900 off MSRP for Lariat so I'm guessing that a $35,000  MSRP  XLT will lose about $1500, maybe $1600.  Any advice?  They are saying delivery will take 10-12 weeks.  Thanks for your help.  

I've found $600 - $800 doc fees pretty normal around here as a starting point.  But like anything it's negotiable.  You just have to figure it into the total cost especially when comparing different dealers.

Your company has to be a Ford partner (and you need a valid partner code) or you have to be a friend or family of a Ford employee or retiree to get a X plan pin.

I just looked up a Lariat with a $35K MSRP and the X plan price is $34K so only about a $1K discount (before incentives).  Max doc fee on X plan is $100.  

If you're getting a net $1200 discount off MSRP including the doc fee that's not bad right now.  

29 minutes ago, ford-boy said:

To those that suggested I call the salesman....... I did.  He said that it was the last day of the month and that it gets very busy. He was just swamped.   We made another appointment for tomorrow, Friday.  It WILL be ordered then.  I've checked with two other dealers what their "dealer fee" is and in both cases it was $795.  Sheesh.  Years ago "dealer prep" was $150 or less.  Is it possible for me to get an X-Plan?  And if so, would it be better than what the dealer will offer?  The dealer is cutting about $1900 off MSRP for Lariat so I'm guessing that a $35,000  MSRP  XLT will lose about $1500, maybe $1600.  Any advice?  They are saying delivery will take 10-12 weeks.  Thanks for your help.  

Well with X-plan those dealer fees are capped, I did a quick 0 option 4x4 Crewcab build on the Xplan site. XLT (300A), and Lariat (500A) and they came to $34,137 and $38,221 respectively.

1 hour ago, ford-boy said:

dealer fee...BWAHAHAHAHAHA...if they are charging that, and given that $1900 off window ( works out to about $100 over, probably close to X Plan ) that's actually NOT $1900 off or 100 over...its 100 over PLUS their fee...what a sham..but something I hear of all the time in other states...Id also question ( unless something dramatic happens at the factory ) 10 - 12 weeks...

1 hour ago, ford-boy said:

You think it will take longer than 10-12 weeks?  

absolutely....I have a factory order that isn't arriving till late this month...ordered 8/30 when Ford told us early orders would be prioritized if we went through a Ranger Retail Order verification process.....

Expect the worst with new products-I've ordered all my cars and this is the typical timeline:

1998 Mustang GT-Ordered September, recieved it end of October-had a couple people call people to push the order up since I just got out of the Army and I needed a car!

2002 SVT Focus-can't remember when I ordered it but the launch was a complete clusterfuck-I want to say maybe fall of 2001-I got the car in March 2002-its been the worst Ford product I've ever owned.

2006 Mustang GT-Ordered December 2005 at the height of its popularity. Got it end of March of 2006.

2013 Taurus SHO-ordered Feb 2013, came in very late March and I got it April of that year. 

All the cars where ordered A or Z plan. 

Edited by silvrsvt