ICE engine revs at startup, FULL BATTERY

pianewman

2017 Fusion Energi, 21k miles. Just purchased, getting to know the car.

Twice today, cold engine (45f ambient), FULL battery, right after startup (HVAC set to 69f), rolling downhill (zero throttle input), ICE kicked in, immediately went to a very high, constant rev.  The only way to stop the revving ICE was to turn HVAC off. After a few hundred yards (again, zero throttle input), I turned the HVAC on, and the ICE didn't come on. This happened twice.

Thoughts? I can't believe this is normal...high-revving a totally cold engine, especially with a fully charger battery.

...and the hybrid doesn't have a Sport mode. 

6 hours ago, pianewman said:

2017 Fusion Energi, 21k miles. Just purchased, getting to know the car.

Twice today, cold engine (45f ambient), FULL battery, right after startup (HVAC set to 69f), rolling downhill (zero throttle input), ICE kicked in, immediately went to a very high, constant rev.  The only way to stop the revving ICE was to turn HVAC off. After a few hundred yards (again, zero throttle input), I turned the HVAC on, and the ICE didn't come on. This happened twice.

Thoughts? I can't believe this is normal...high-revving a totally cold engine, especially with a fully charger battery.

I need to add: transmission was in LOW, not DRIVE. I drive full-time in LOW, because I prefer stronger regen.

Edited by pianewman

Hoping a Hybrid Energi owner will see this. There aren't many of us on the road, and probably very few in this forum.

With a full battery, LOW provides stronger braking (regen), but should NOT engage the ICE, unless ambient is closer to 32f, AND HVAC is asking for heat, AFAIK. I THINK I switched to D when I heard the engine screaming, but I just don't remember. 

Low range is meant for maximum engine braking.  We have 2 hybrids in the house, 2016 Fusion and 2017 C-MAX.  I've noticed that when driving down steeper hills with hill descent control activated (in drive) and regen isn't strong enough to control speed it will use the ICE to slow the vehicle.

ajcomputer: You've triggered a thought. Since the battery was FULL, there was no regen available, so the computer must switch over to the ICE. That makes sense. What DOESN'T make sense is why the ICE would go to maximum revs when the car was rolling at <5mph. It felt/sounded like a novice manual trans driver, while down shifting, inadvertently slipping into first gear and popping the clutch.

I think I've found the answer. DON'T use LOW with a full battery, unless you want the ICE to kick in and scare the be-jeezus out of you...and stressing a COLD engine!!!

Thanks!

Edited by pianewman