Ford adding overtime Ranger production as first-month sales hit 1,200

24 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

You're lucky.  I live in rural northern Michigan.  I checked several dealers within a 90 minute drive from me.  Not one Ranger in stock.

Come down to truck country. There are 60 listed in stock within 100 miles of me, and only 20 or so are "Dealer Ordered." :victory:

Edited by SoonerLS

10 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I am in truck country.  I'm also in the Ranger's home state.  It's only 240 miles from my nearest dealer to MAP.  Can't figure out why no dealer up here has any in stock.

Best guess is they’re prioritizing shipping to higher volume dealers first before they get to the smaller ones out in the boonies 

54 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I am in truck country.  I'm also in the Ranger's home state.  It's only 240 miles from my nearest dealer to MAP.  Can't figure out why no dealer up here has any in stock.

I'm just yanking your chain. Being in the #2 per capita truck sales state (behind Texas, who is #1 per capita and outright) probably has a lot to do with the availability of Rangers around here.

I would guess that the biggest share of Rangers would be in Texas (no pun intended). I went through Gainesville twice over the last few days, and the Ford dealership had so many F-Series trucks that they were filling a lot on the other side of I-35.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They took a majority of the work from Stamping. We only do the class A stallings now; which is basically only body panels from the back of the cab forward. We don't even stamp our own bed sides or tailgates. 

Where did you get that INFO??? From your work area walk about a 1/2 mile South and you'll see what I'm talking about.
MAP Stamping stamps out the bed sides and the bed floor. Sub Assembly puts them together.
You are correct about the tail gate because its stamped out of aluminum, same as the fenders and hood.
MAP Stamping isn't set up to make aluminum stampings because we don't have a system set up here to handle the aluminum scrap.

5 minutes ago, 2016RS said:

Where did you get that INFO??? From your work area walk about a 1/2 mile South and you'll see what I'm talking about.
MAP Stamping stamps out the bed sides and the bed floor. Sub Assembly puts them together.
You are correct about the tail gate because its stamped out of aluminum, same as the fenders and hood.
MAP Stamping isn't set up to make aluminum stampings because we don't have a system set up here to handle the aluminum scrap.

Guy on launch team in the press room told me that

if they do the bed sides in house, why do all of the racks say flex-n-gate on them?

and Press Line 1 can do aluminum stamping. They stamp our F-150 Dash panels for us here in north Stamping. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

21 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Guy on launch team in the press room told me that

if they do the bed sides in house, why do all of the racks say flex-n-gate on them?

and Press Line 1 can do aluminum stamping. They stamp our F-150 Dash panels for us here in north Stamping. 

Those F-150 dash panels aren't aluminum. If they were aluminum they wouldn't be so heavy.
Those panels are made out of what's called "Quiet Steel". I just walked past 1 Line, we're stamping out 7,500 of them this run.

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Most of the sub structures and the entire bed. I'm sure there's more but that's what I'm aware of. They took like 75% of the work from us in Stamping.  

Their quality isn't that great either. They have our inspectiors working tons of overtime fixing parts they should have never let out of the door. 

A bunch of interior also. 

51 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

..."Ford says about 300,000 people have already indicated plans".... that's a loose term. Indicated plans to purchase a new Ranger?....Indicated plants to purchase a new vehicle in 1-3 months? (as they do in usual surveys), like it's a vague statement...

I planned on buying one already 

reality is I have to wait at least a year, probably more 

1 hour ago, ANTAUS said:

..."Ford says about 300,000 people have already indicated plans".... that's a loose term. Indicated plans to purchase a new Ranger?....Indicated plants to purchase a new vehicle in 1-3 months? (as they do in usual surveys), like it's a vague statement...

reminds me of a certain Electric car manufacturer....lol....and deposits taken....

14 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

IIRC when things are sent out like this, they have weeks to months to 1 year out...so I'm assuming its something along the lines over the next 12-16 months. Which isn't a bad thing. 

Heck I'm sure they can get numbers like this for Bronco when it launches-I know I want one already LOL

14 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Now that I've thought about this for a bit, this is likely hyperbole. They said something similar right before the Continental launched and you see how that turned out. Not saying the Ranger will sell in Continental numbers, just saying it doesn't really mean anything. 

2 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

IIRC when things are sent out like this, they have weeks to months to 1 year out...so I'm assuming its something along the lines over the next 12-16 months. Which isn't a bad thing. 

Heck I'm sure they can get numbers like this for Bronco when it launches-I know I want one already LOL

300k Rangers and 300k Broncos. Time to put a line back in Wayne Assembly if in the highly unlikely event that we're to happen. 

23 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Now that I've thought about this for a bit, this is likely hyperbole. They said something similar right before the Continental launched and you see how that turned out. Not saying the Ranger will sell in Continental numbers, just saying it doesn't really mean anything. 

300k Rangers and 300k Broncos. Time to put a line back in Wayne Assembly if in the highly unlikely event that we're to happen. 

I think the more reasonable expectation is 250-300K units a year between the two. 

• Like 1

I got to sit in 2 different models Rangers this weekend. Seemed like a nice little truck. To an enthusiast who knows, you can tell it uses some ROW components not originally intended for the US, but I doubt the average buyer will know or care. So in that sense, the interior was nice. The first one I sat in was an XLT....seemed nice inside, I didn't look at the sticker. The second was a Lariat model which had a nicer interior, stickered for $44K before the sleazy dealer "new vehicle markup" of $10K and their "paint protection package" that brought it to $55K.

It was odd these days to see a non-dampered tailgate, and the lack of a sunroof option is disappointing, but I think it'll do well.

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The second was a Lariat model which had a nicer interior, stickered for $44K before the sleazy dealer "new vehicle markup" of $10K and their "paint protection package" that brought it to $55K.

I hate when dealers pull that crap....and I hope he sits on that Ranger for a long long time....

14 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I got to sit in 2 different models Rangers this weekend. Seemed like a nice little truck. To an enthusiast who knows, you can tell it uses some ROW components not originally intended for the US, but I doubt the average buyer will know or care. So in that sense, the interior was nice. The first one I sat in was an XLT....seemed nice inside, I didn't look at the sticker. The second was a Lariat model which had a nicer interior, stickered for $44K before the sleazy dealer "new vehicle markup" of $10K and their "paint protection package" that brought it to $55K.

It was odd these days to see a non-dampered tailgate, and the lack of a sunroof option is disappointing, but I think it'll do well.

I'd message Ford and let them know about that "Dealer Markup" with the dealer name. They don't take that well when dealers do that.