Ford adding overtime Ranger production as first-month sales hit 1,200

Kumar Galhotra, Ford's president of North America, on Wednesday said the Ranger is exceeding expectations, and that about 300,000 consumers already have indicated plans to purchase the vehicle.

"Based on the orders coming in, and based on the hand-raisers, we think the demand's going to be so strong, that starting in February our assembly plant will be going into massive overtime," Galhotra said at a media briefing.

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Is 1,200 a typo?

That doesn't sound like much at all.  Flex sells better than that.

But there are only a handfull of them available for sale at dealers, so 1200 for January is pretty good.  That's probably every one that made it to a dealer.

• Like 2

Told you it wouldn't take long.

I need to talk to some friends in Final to find out what they're being scheduled like (or perhaps @wildosvt can chime in). Pretty sure by overtime they mean finally running a full 10 hour shift or bumping that up to 10.7, however I think they can only go as long as 10 since they are on a 5x8 pattern right now. Maybe the occasional Saturday but that will depend on how quickly they can get parts in. My understanding is some parts are still a little slow rolling in. Supply chain is more global than it was for the Focus. 

I am sure it won't take long for them to start playing games with the overtime rules spelled out in the contract too. What they probably need to do is add a second shift in final (Body and Paint are already 2 shifts) as I have been saying for over a year now when I first found out second shift was being cancelled but the company absolutely steadfastly refuses to do that before the Bronco launches (whenever that ends up finally happening). They certainly won't do it before the contract expires in September, that's a great thing for the company to have in their back pocket and just one of the myriad reasons I expect negotiations this year to be more contentious than 2015. 

54 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Is 1,200 a typo?

That doesn't sound like much at all.  Flex sells better than that.

The launch has been VERY slow, and intentionally so. This is the first brand new model that isn't an upgrade over an existing one that Ford has had in a very long time and the first one for this platform so it's critical to bring things online slowly and eliminate as many production hiccups as they can

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, akirby said:

But there are only a handfull of them available for sale at dealers, so 1200 for January is pretty good.  That's probably every one that made it to a dealer.

Maybe 75%. There's a few dealers that somehow weaseled more than one so they have a couple in inventory on the lot. 

17 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The launch has been VERY slow, and intentionally so. This is the first brand new model that isn't an upgrade over an existing one that Ford has had in a very long time and the first one for this platform so it's critical to bring things online slowly and eliminate as many production hiccups as they can

Fair enough.  With Ford's launch quality issues over the last several launches, it'll be good to roll one out slowly but surely and hopefully avoid some of those issues.

Just sounded odd when you hear "increasing production, blah blah" and then read 1,200 unit sales.

The one I bought was the only one the dealer had.

To go one step further, there's only 20 Rangers "in stock" within 40 miles of me, and 36 in transit. 

Know what is included in 40 miles of me?  28 Ford Dealers in NYC, Long Island, Westchester County, all of Connecticut.

Supplies out here are SUPER tight.

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Told you it wouldn't take long.

I need to talk to some friends in Final to find out what they're being scheduled like (or perhaps @wildosvt can chime in). Pretty sure by overtime they mean finally running a full 10 hour shift or bumping that up to 10.7, however I think they can only go as long as 10 since they are on a 5x8 pattern right now. Maybe the occasional Saturday but that will depend on how quickly they can get parts in. My understanding is some parts are still a little slow rolling in. Supply chain is more global than it was for the Focus. 

I am sure it won't take long for them to start playing games with the overtime rules spelled out in the contract too. What they probably need to do is add a second shift in final (Body and Paint are already 2 shifts) as I have been saying for over a year now when I first found out second shift was being cancelled but the company absolutely steadfastly refuses to do that before the Bronco launches (whenever that ends up finally happening). They certainly won't do it before the contract expires in September, that's a great thing for the company to have in their back pocket and just one of the myriad reasons I expect negotiations this year to be more contentious than 2015. 

You rang? We are doing 5x10. One single Saturday in Feb. on the 9th is scheduled. We have random saturdays coming. But not as much as you think if the schedule (which can change) stays as it is. 2 in March, April and May each. June, July, August and September look to more busy per the schedule (which again, Can change) if it stays as is.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wildosvt said:

You rang? We are doing 5x10. One single Saturday in Feb. on the 9th is scheduled. We have random saturdays coming. But not as much as you think if the schedule (which can change) stays as it is. 2 in March, April and May each. June, July, August and September look to more busy per the schedule (which again, Can change) if it stays as is.

How many you guys building a day now

Just now, fuzzymoomoo said:

How many you guys building a day now

Just depends on how the day goes, We have hit 400 though! LOL Just a lot of gremlins still hanging out there. Some are bigger than others. At least some of the vendors are able to keep us going now. Flex n gate sucks donkey balls. Such a terrible call to give those clowns so much work.

1 minute ago, wildosvt said:

Flex n gate sucks donkey balls. Such a terrible call to give those clowns so much work.

They took a majority of the work from Stamping. We only do the class A stallings now; which is basically only body panels from the back of the cab forward. We don't even stamp our own bed sides or tailgates. 

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They took a majority of the work from Stamping. We only do the class A stallings now; which is basically only body panels from the back of the cab forward. We don't even stamp our own bed sides or tailgates. 

You guys will get the bulk of Bronco won't ya?

23 minutes ago, Anthony said:

The one I bought was the only one the dealer had.

To go one step further, there's only 20 Rangers "in stock" within 40 miles of me, and 36 in transit. 

Know what is included in 40 miles of me?  28 Ford Dealers in NYC, Long Island, Westchester County, all of Connecticut.

Supplies out here are SUPER tight.

You're lucky.  I live in rural northern Michigan.  I checked several dealers within a 90 minute drive from me.  Not one Ranger in stock.

6 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

What does Flex-n-gate make?

Most of the sub structures and the entire bed. I'm sure there's more but that's what I'm aware of. They took like 75% of the work from us in Stamping.  

Their quality isn't that great either. They have our inspectiors working tons of overtime fixing parts they should have never let out of the door. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1