Reliable Source Told Me Rear-Drive Lincoln Coupe and Sedan Coming Soon

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Yeah, as awesome as it sounds, RWD sports luxury cars didn't get Cadillac anywhere here in the US, I'm not sure why anyone would think it would get Lincoln anywhere either. Learn from other's mistakes and move on.

I think we could see MKZ and Conti replaced by a single sedan, and that's it.  

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

It also might be some sort of white space vehicle too..not exactly a sedan, but not a CUV either. 

Yeah I could certainly see that - a higher riding "sedan".  Also, these days "coupe" could mean something 4/5 doors - it doesn't necessarily mean a 2 door.

35 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Opinions will vary....I like the idea of the "Continental family" of cars to enhance the CUV/SUV end of the Lincoln spectrum.

I get it, but you're just making it more confusing I think.

I'm sure if they go with something like this, it will be called Continental. We had discussed this before and I think the most logical strategy for Lincoln is to call all its cars Continental. The standard size Continental will replace MKZ and you can easily do a 2 door coupe version as well. The LWB version will replace the current Continental.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I'm sure if they go with something like this, it will be called Continental. We had discussed this before and I think the most logical strategy for Lincoln is to call all its cars Continental. The standard size Continental will replace MKZ and you can easily do a 2 door coupe version as well. The LWB version will replace the current Continental.

AFAIK (or have heard), design exercises were commissioned to re-envision the Continental more towards its original purpose: A luxurious, powerful mover for a handful of people with loads of style... as well as a "sporting" aspirational product... both to be built off of CD6. 

I think we'll be seeing the product that the MKT *should* have been with a Continental badge, and an electric "coupe" product that may just take some spotlight away from Elon (and beat Cadillac to the "electric luxury" punch, soundly). 

Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

AFAIK (or have heard), design exercises were commissioned to re-envision the Continental more towards its original purpose: A luxurious, powerful mover for a handful of people with loads of style... as well as a "sporting" aspirational product... both to be built off of CD6. 

I think we'll be seeing the product that the MKT *should* have been with a Continental badge, and an electric "coupe" product that may just take some spotlight away from Elon (and beat Cadillac to the "electric luxury" punch, soundly). 

It would be nice to see. I just wonder how far away that might be from hitting the market 

THUNDERBIRD.....THUNDERBIRD.....THUNDERBIRD.....THUNDER............

It HAS been done before!

"The sixth generation Thunderbird debuted in the fall of 1971 as a 1972 model. With a 120.4-inch (3,058 mm) wheelbase, an overall length of 214 inches (5,436 mm) (growing to 225 inches (5,715 mm) by 1974), and a curb weight of 4,420 pounds (2,005 kg) (over 4,800 pounds (2,177 kg) when equipped with a 460 cu in (7.5 L) V8), it was the largest Thunderbird ever produced by Ford, sharing the assembly line with the Lincoln Continental Mark IV. "

?

Edited by Ovaltine
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, twintornados said:

Opinions will vary....I like the idea of the "Continental family" of cars to enhance the CUV/SUV end of the Lincoln spectrum.

I'm pretty sure Continental was originally a marque--as in the Continental Mark I was a Continental, not a Lincoln--so that would not be without precedent.

2 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

I'm pretty sure Continental was originally a marque--as in the Continental Mark I was a Continental, not a Lincoln--so that would not be without precedent.

Well yes and no. The original Continental was a Lincoln. When they brought it back in 1956, Continental was its own brand. It switched back to Lincoln in 61.

Interesting enough the first Zephyr was called Lincoln-Zephyr, so technically it was its own brand as well. 

24 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Well yes and no. The original Continental was a Lincoln. When they brought it back in 1956, Continental was its own brand. It switched back to Lincoln in 61.

Interesting enough the first Zephyr was called Lincoln-Zephyr, so technically it was its own brand as well. 

Actually switched back under Lincoln in 1958, as the unique Mark II was under the Continental division, but the Edsel disaster and the 1958 recession scared Ford (a newely publicity traded company at that point) into closing the Continental division. What followed were the soon to be forgotten “Marks”. Oh what could have been!

Actually, that's been the biggest disappointment in new releases this year, was the Toyota Supra..."we want a BMW sports coupe with Toyota styling" said no one, ever... And just about every blog will have those comments, where it was such a disappointment.  All those years of hype, and it was an underwhelming release.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 2:43 PM, PREMiERdrum said:

If Lincoln has the vehicles that you mentioned in development, they're going to completely derail Cadillac (probably moreso than Tesla). 

10 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

Actually, that's been the biggest disappointment in new releases this year, was the Toyota Supra..."we want a BMW sports coupe with Toyota styling" said no one, ever... And just about every blog will have those comments, where it was such a disappointment.  All those years of hype, and it was an underwhelming release.

That's one of the concerns I am having about the Bronco. :( Years of rumors of its return and confirmed at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show only for it to be delayed until 2021 model year. I'm really hoping they are keeping to its roots as they say but then again, they have been disappointing with the end results before. So hopefully the Bronco will not be the Ford version of the Supra.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:43 PM, PREMiERdrum said:

I really hope this is true about the next Continental as well as the 'sporting' product. Looking forward to see what comes up.